Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Master Modeler

Default Vintage Estes Mars Snooper Build

I found this kit in my closet, a old Mars Snooper in great condition. I also have the original in storage with the paper tag, but it is not opened. Now I have not decided if I want to paint it like the original or paint it as the one shown in Vern Estes Pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_1223.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  629.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_1225.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  223.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Mars snooper.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  468.9 KB  
Old 05-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Old Submariner

I built this BMS clone last year. If your kit has 1/16" balsa parts, you may want to replace them with basswood. It's stronger, smoother, flatter, and easier to finish. It's "win-win" in my opinion to use basswood on this build.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_1074.JPG
Views: 135
Size:  54.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1077.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  45.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1076.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  45.8 KB  

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 05-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Master Modeler

Jeffyjeep, Your build looks great I have it stored in my favorites. Basswood would be much easier but then it wouldn't be a vintage build.
I am pretty impressed with such an old kit, I know this came out later but I think it still used the same cutters. The first thing was the engine mount and shrouds. The shrouds were pretty easy and are glued together with Elmers white glue. I first pull the flat paper shroud under a pencil that is sitting an my building mat to cause a natural curl in the shroud. Then I tape the shroud to make sure it fits the body tube and there is not going to be any issues. If everything looks great I un-tape the shroud and add glue and let dry. I glued the die crunched fins to the top body tube with no major issues. I also glued the balsa cones to the Bt 5 tubes. When the shrouds were dried I added them to the body tube. First the Adapter ring needed a holes punched through for the launch lug, I just used a hole punch. The shrouds fit on perfect and everything lined up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  DSC_1230.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  214.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_1228.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  181.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_1227.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  242.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_1225.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  160.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_1224.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  203.1 KB  
Old 05-26-2013, 12:29 AM
Master Modeler

Now with the shrouds complete it was time to add the balsa vanes. I was surprised how well these die crunched parts fit with no adjusting, good job vintage Estes. I glued them on the marked lines and now everything is nice and strong. I will apply balsa sealer later, yes that should be fun but it is a vintage build. The launch lug fits through the shrouds and then gets beveled for a smooth finish. What a bummer it would have been if my holes did not line up.
The main fins were next. The plans call for an airfoil shape so that is what I did do all the main fins. When I was finished sanding it was time to glue them to the body tube. Once again they fit great with no adjustments. Once the fins were dried I added the fillets and then glued the pods on. The secret to the pods is the double glue technique so the pods dry fast. As far as checking to see if everything is straight, I just eyeball it. Now it is starting to look like a rocket, tomorrow I will add the outside fins and finish adding the fillets. The directions call for the shock cord to be mounted by cutting slits in the upper body tube. Have to decide if I will keep it original or add the trifold mount. Now it is time for bed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  DSC_1251.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  210.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_1240.JPG
Views: 63
Size:  219.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_1239.JPG
Views: 52
Size:  191.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_1237.JPG
Views: 52
Size:  171.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_1232.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  211.7 KB  
Old 05-26-2013, 07:22 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Great photos of a really interesting build. You do nice work!
Old 05-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Now with the shrouds complete it was time to add the balsa vanes. I was surprised how well these die crunched parts fit with no adjusting, good job vintage Estes. I glued them on the marked lines and now everything is nice and strong. I will apply balsa sealer later, yes that should be fun but it is a vintage build. The launch lug fits through the shrouds and then gets beveled for a smooth finish. What a bummer it would have been if my holes did not line up.
The main fins were next. The plans call for an airfoil shape so that is what I did do all the main fins. When I was finished sanding it was time to glue them to the body tube. Once again they fit great with no adjustments. Once the fins were dried I added the fillets and then glued the pods on. The secret to the pods is the double glue technique so the pods dry fast. As far as checking to see if everything is straight, I just eyeball it. Now it is starting to look like a rocket, tomorrow I will add the outside fins and finish adding the fillets. The directions call for the shock cord to be mounted by cutting slits in the upper body tube. Have to decide if I will keep it original or add the trifold mount. Now it is time for bed.

Very nice work. Are you going to coat the paper cones with CA?

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 05-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks for the comments. Jeffyjeep, I have never had any issues with paper, though I do paint with balsa sealer so it accepts the primer.
She is all built, just have to add the fillets then off for 3 to 4 coats of Aerogloss balsa sealer. All in all a straightforward build. The balsa cone and transition have the eye hooks and weight added as per the plans.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  DSC_1224.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  216.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_1229.JPG
Views: 95
Size:  260.0 KB  
Old 05-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Master Modeler

2 passes of white glue for the fillets have been added and tomorrow I will begin brushing on the balsa sealer. These pictures are of the stand that came in the kit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  DSC_1226.JPG
Views: 84
Size:  178.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_1230.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  504.6 KB  
Old 05-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

How the heck are you going to sand the balsa sealer on the vanes and cones at the bottom of that rocket???
Old 05-26-2013, 04:39 PM
Master Modeler

Actually it looks pretty easy, just going to use sanding sticks and folded sandpaper.