Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Bob,

First, I'll add that I am going to build another -- to fly on 18mm D reloads. Now, more on the hijacking, and I promise not to do this any further!

I should have taken pictures along the way. I did add the picture below, taken early, after the first priming. But, what I did was simple. I just used Evergreen and Plastruct pieces to add detail. I cut flat sheet to make the various "panels". You can get all these materials at any hobby store. But, I also grafted pieces from various sci-fi models -- pieces of an engine, etc. Sometimes I cut and sand the piece to fit. I am always looking for models that have pieces that can be used on rockets. The Star Wars X-wing is a literal gold mine for parts!

The toughest part of this modification was the "U" channel I grafted around the diameter of the capsule. This was the first piece I did, since the capsule had a big ding in it, probably from getting bounced around before I ever bought it. I had to heat it with a heat gun to allow it to soften and bend. I'd glue part of it, let it cool, and continue.

I used liquid cement, and used a small paint brush to wick it between the parts, and the capsule. For some holes, I used brass tubing as a punch. I also have a small set of jeweler's files to shape parts.

I sanded it with 400 to 600 grit where I had problems, like the occasional glue smear. I then primed and if needed, used filler to blend. It isn't perfect, but I learned enough to make each subsequent add-on better.

The best trick I learned was to use gloss clear coat under the decals, and then flat coat clear over them to restore a more natural finish.

I am no great "plastic modeler". Just took my time, and spent a lot of time sanding/filling/priming. Try it, you'll like it!

So make a silicone mold of it now.

18mm D's are vaporware. The AT and Apogee D's are 100% revenue to the manufacturer. A dealer sold item is 40% to the manufacturer. Even with mass-production cost savings I would expect a $14 price point.

Jerry
Old 02-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

I just got this info from a source of mine at eHobbies:

"The new Quest items were announced over a year ago at a hobby show. They
have been posted on the eHobbies website for about a year.
As there is still the possibility that they actually may arrive some day,
they have been left on the website.
As for the availability dates, past due dates get updated by an automated
program approximately every 8 weeks."
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil ed
I have forgotten more stuff than most of the people here know.

Unfortunately, I've forgotten so much stuff that I currently know LESS than almost everybody here

"A mind is a terrible thing to lose"
D. Quayle

Hi Ed,

I have a few times asked the same question after a few beers in the evening that I did early in the day before the beers
Old 03-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Craftsman

Default Quest Motors/Rockets

Talked to Nettie a couple months ago about the availability of both rockets & motors, she said the obvious that they still weren't available. No explanation as to why or when.

I saw them (e.g. rockets, motor casings, carry-all, etc.), personally, at the iHobby Expo back in October 2006 and am also a bit disheartened to not see anything come since then (17 months ago).

Maybe the move to Colorado set them back at bit. BTW any, firm, news on if Matt C is still with them?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Just out of curiosity, is the interest in the Quest D just to have a "quick prep" 18mm D motor? I really like my 24mm reload hardware, and am considering getting the 18mm reload to have a bigger motor option than an Estes C6. But, the cleanup and prep time is a factor, and so I do appreciate single use for that fact.

I am building an Outlander I converted to 24mm, to use Estes D12s, but the Aerotech 18mm D reload would be a simpler solution.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Just out of curiosity, is the interest in the Quest D just to have a "quick prep" 18mm D motor? I really like my 24mm reload hardware, and am considering getting the 18mm reload to have a bigger motor option than an Estes C6. But, the cleanup and prep time is a factor, and so I do appreciate single use for that fact.

I am building an Outlander I converted to 24mm, to use Estes D12s, but the Aerotech 18mm D reload would be a simpler solution.

The interest in a Quest 18mm composite D (made with help or partnership with Aerotech) vs. the existing Aerotech D21 motors is that Aerotech has (effectively) no rockets that use an 18mm D, has limited retail outlets, etc. Quest has far more retail ooutlets and rockets that could have accommodated an 18mm mass-marketed composite D.

By the way, the D5-P (black powder 20mm) motors are in a container and on their way to the USA. Announcements will be made by Quest at the appropriate time.