Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Red Max
Nope, not just you!
There are a lot of jealous folk that suffer from an inferiority complex just like you and feel the same towards someone elses means.
Most of them are just not as anxious as you are to come out publicly!
I mean no offense.

Lets see... If when you were young you chose to build 100s of models for the Estes flight/display program such that you ended up with thousands of dollars in MERCHANDISE cerftficates would you say "I'll just spend a couple hundred bucks worth and give the rest back to Estes"? If you walked into a store in the mid 80s and found the Maxi V-2 for $16 and there were 6 of them how many would you buy? If a friend of yours passes away and leaves you a collection of 300+ kits, would you get mad because there were multiples of many kits and turn down the collection? A friend at another hobby shop in the area GIVES you a box of rockets that a customer gave to him that had 2 birdies, 2 scouts, a mark 2 and a small V-2. Would you say "No, Keep it"? Or lastly, while trading with a fellow collector years back you get told that if you trade him a Centuri Saturn 1-B (which LUCKILY you have not just 1 but 2) He will trade you a 1/45th LJII by Centuri AND let you buy as many additional ones as you want for $30 each, would you say, "oh no... One is fine".

I have many more stories like this.

My point is, opportunities arose where I could obtain great models for great prices and did. Other people who truly loved the hobby would do the same thing. Don't get mad if the same opportunities did not present themselves to you.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
If a friend of yours passes away and leaves you a collection of 300+ kits,

And a closet full of Cinerocs.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-13-2009, 10:07 AM
MOTORVERKENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Now wait a second......that sounds like a liberal......."you got plenty, it's time for us to take some of yours and give it to others who don't have as much......"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
That's right! Storm the castle, hang the king! Rockets for everyone!!!

Not sure if these comments were directed at me, since my post was a rebuttal to Mark II's post.
In any event, where do you see in my post that I'm advocating to "take from the rich and give to the poor"?
For that matter, where do you see that in Mark II's post?

Mark II is saying there must be some mental imbalance in people who "horde" rockets or anything else.
I'm saying, don't say that there is something mentally wrong with those that just happen to have more than you, perhaps you need to look into yourself to see why you are "hating" on them.

Hate is not exclusive to one party.
Please folks, let's not turn everything into a political argument.
It will automatically invalidate your point of view in a serious political one because everyone will say "oh, that's that guy who screams out 'Liberal' everytime someone disagrees with his choice for a sandwich or whatever."

Personally, I'm tired of the Rush's of the world hijacking my party and making us look like Kool-Aid drinkers! That's supposed to be that other Party, but I digress...

Last edited by Der Red Max : 03-13-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Red Max
Not sure if these comments were directed at me, since my post was a rebuttal to Mark II's post.
In any event, where do you see in my post that I'm advocating to "take from the rich and give to the poor"?
For that matter, where do you see that in Mark II's post?

Mark II is saying there must be some mental imbalance in people who "horde" rockets or anything else.
I'm saying, don't say that there is something mentally wrong with those that just happen to have more than you, perhaps you need to look into yourself to see why you are "hating" on them.

I did not read them at all as being directed towards you. Rather building on your rebuttal.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Master Modeler

I don't think anyone initially gets into this hobby with collecting as their main objective. I am far from a collector but have purchased a few kits from various hobby shops and forum friends that I knew were already or would soon be out of production. Some, were kits that I've eyeballed for years but never forked over the cash for, but wish I had, because it's something I've always wanted to build. And now, the kit has doubled in price....and you say to yourself, "man, I wish I had bought one when I had the chance!" So now you take the opportunity when it arrises, because we know these kits don't stay in production forever. Some, I see covered with dust in the corner of a shop... kits that have been OOP for 6+ years with the original price still on it. Do I buy them because they are OOP? Sometimes, but rarely. I buy kits because I have intentions of building them. But it's funny how the older, OOP, kits seem to always get pushed further down in the build queue. Not because I like it that way, but because the older they get, the harder it is to make myself slice open the package.

Moral of the story, it doesn't take long for a "build pile" to turn into a collection.

Also, model rockets are expendable. We've all crashed, hung a rocket in a tree, or seen it drift away. I think this is justification to buy multiples in some people's minds. Maybe some do collect multiples for monetary value or "investment", but I think it goes deeper than that.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Master Modeler

Mark II- Working for APS and people collecting stuff disturbed you? I am a Captain for a large fire department and I have seen a lot worse than that. What I think you are referring to is the people that collect "junk" and their house is in ruins. You can call that what you want but I call it "Fire load" I also encounter people with amazing collections that are well kept and a thrill to look at. For me I always wanted to build these kits when I was younger but could not afford them. Now I have the finances to buy and build these kits, and I will build most of the kits you see in my collection just look at my build threads. I have duplicates because I was able to acquire them at a good price and also I fly the rockets I build. I almost lost my Omega, but I have 2 more if needed. People like to collect for different reasons, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. It only becomes a problem when people are spending money they don't have.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Oh, please... Don't you have enough already?

I don't understand the impulse to hoard dozens of kits of the same rocket. I mean, I have one Astron Streak kit, Maybe someday if I get the chance, I will buy another one. But then that will be it; two kits will be enough for me. I would feel the same way about any other collectible kit that I might want to acquire, too.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find those pictures of storage units stacked full of bin after bin full of rocket kits to be quite disturbing, and not in a good way. I'm serious about this. When I worked in the Adult Protective Services unit of DSS, I encountered people like that as clients. There was always something sad and desperate about them.

MarkII

Hello Mark,

My name is Bob and I am a Rocketholic. And yes in some ways, I am cRaZy.

I will go back and delete the photos as I think this is the best way to handle this issue.

Bob
Old 03-13-2009, 12:23 PM
the middle-aged rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
Hello Mark,

My name is Bob and I am a Rocketholic. And yes in some ways, I am cRaZy.

I will go back and delete the photos as I think this is the best way to handle this issue.

Bob

Hi Bob, I'm Jeff and I'm a rocketholic too.

My collection is so Unorganized that I couldn't even get photo's to post.

I started out like most, looking for rockets I wanted but couldn't have as a child, seeking to replace rockets that were lost or destroyed.

I was counting on other peoples collections to inspire me to organize mine.

PLEASE don't delete your photos. I need them.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Trust me, it'll work!

Hello Bob

My name is Brian and I am a Rocketholic.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Master Modeler

You guys are sad and desperate...