Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2011, 09:05 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
31-W - the Dixie Highway - is well improved and a fairly good road most of the way between Louisville and Bowling Green. Haven't been on it much south of there. 31-E is a POS. But it has lots of good bars on it Both in Louisville (aka Bardstown Road) and in redneck country in Nelson County.

Just up the road from Knob Creek (the Bourbon place) is a place called the Cabin Inn, known by many of the locals as the Stabbin' Cabin Lots of the kids I grew up with have partied there. I mighta been there once or twice myself But US 31-E there looks like something out of Deliverance. Switchback turns and twisty, winding road makes for a little more adventure than I have patience for BTW, about 10 miles west of there in Larue County is Lincoln's birthplace.

Doug

31-E sounds like my kind of road. When the Cabrio was still in its youth, it was my car of choice for roads like that. The tires didn't last that long, but they sure were fun while they lasted. I drove down Bardstown Road in Louisville last September before an afternoon Highlands football game at Louisville Eastern. Pretty impressive bunch of bars and restaurants. Puts Cincinnati to shame.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 08-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I drove down Bardstown Road in Louisville last September before an afternoon Highlands football game at Louisville Eastern. Pretty impressive bunch of bars and restaurants.
The Toy Tiger lounge was my favorite

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 08-01-2011, 11:20 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Sandisk makes some really nice FAST memory cards. They're expensive, but if you want to do multi-frame shots like that they're essential.

Yeah, that's my next plan... I saw a CLASS 10 card at Wal Mart the other day... I'm about to fill up the existing card and then I'll get a new one...

I'm keeping the photos on the card as a backup...

Think I'll grab me one of those class 10 cards and give it a whirl...

I got excited when I saw it because I was thinking "keychain cam!" card but then I remembered that those take the micro-cards... no joy...

Later! OL JR
Old 08-01-2011, 11:26 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
I was able to fly from the sports range on Wednesday, but Bill E. wasn't on duty. I made three flights: SEMROC SLS Explorer on a D12-5, Fliskits Frick 'n Frack on C/B, and the ACE Mini Allegro that I built circa 1977 on 2x Quest C6-5 and 2x Estes C6-7's. All flights were good.
Had an early dinner with Bill E. before he headed home. It is so great to sit down with someone you hadn't seen in a while and shoot the breeze like you were neighbors. So now I owe him dinner.

Chan and his crew put on a great NARAM. Win, lose, or draw it is a good time.

I hit the Air Force Museum and am recovering at my brother's house in Columbus.

Chas

How much did you actually get to see?? I got there at 10:15 AM and basically just about RAN through the place taking pics... hardly NO time to read about stuff... jumped on the bus at 1:45 and went over to the AF1/Xplane hangar and shot pics nonstop there for an hour (mostly of the X planes) and then right back to the main museum and started taking pics again where I left off, and I was upstairs taking the last shot I wanted in the Missile Silo area when a guy tapped me on the shoulder and told me "we're closed". I left the museum building at 5:15... took pics virtually nonstop the whole time.

Then I walked through the rain to get pics of the outdoor planes, the missile railroad car, and the mobile ICBM launcher... didn't leave until 5:45...

Man that place is HUGE!!! I'd like to spend at least a weekend there or so and REALLY read all the info and stuff... take my time...

Probably take a week to really take it all in...

Later! OL JR
Old 08-02-2011, 08:19 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Nice Wizard flight, but wrong recovery system.
You needed to use a really long and wide fluorescent orange plastic streamer.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
You were in my neck of the woods, then. I can see 471 from my kitchen window.

Thought about you when I saw the Ft. Thomas signs.....
Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
The Toy Tiger lounge was my favorite

Doug

I remember noting the name of that one. For the longest time, we didn't have a Steak N Shake in Evansville. Whenever my buddies and I would go to Louisville (about 2hrs away) - usually to go check out the comics and gaming shops - we always had to eat at S N S, and the Toy Tiger was right there. Anyone remember the old Hawley-Cook booksellers (which was just on the other side of the bypass from the S N S)? Great book store, but Borders bought them out a few years ago and we all know where that led to...

Greg
Old 08-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
I remember noting the name of that one. For the longest time, we didn't have a Steak N Shake in Evansville. Whenever my buddies and I would go to Louisville (about 2hrs away) - usually to go check out the comics and gaming shops - we always had to eat at S N S, and the Toy Tiger was right there. Anyone remember the old Hawley-Cook booksellers (which was just on the other side of the bypass from the S N S)?
I didn't know my way around Louisville all that well, but the Toy Tiger was right off the Watterson and easy to find. With a name like that, it sounds like a strip joint, but was in fact a night club. I remember seeing the Bobby Lanz band there once or twice. He would rock the joint. RIP, Bobby.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 08-03-2011, 10:47 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
I remember noting the name of that one. For the longest time, we didn't have a Steak N Shake in Evansville. Whenever my buddies and I would go to Louisville (about 2hrs away) - usually to go check out the comics and gaming shops - we always had to eat at S N S, and the Toy Tiger was right there. Anyone remember the old Hawley-Cook booksellers (which was just on the other side of the bypass from the S N S)? Great book store, but Borders bought them out a few years ago and we all know where that led to...

Greg

We did the same thing with Rally's a long while back, mostly on trips to record stores and the ND bookstore.
My lone worthwhile Steak N Shake memory happened back early in my college career. We had one friend who didn't go to school and Tuesday was always his off day. This meant a lot of Monday night partying, Monday Night Football partying, and a lot of Monday nights walking home along a wobbly path. Tuesdays we'd generally pick him up as soon as we were out of class. (One way or another. We didn't put much stock in attendance grades.) One Tuesday we decided to go to a Velva Sheen store in Beechmont to pick up some new clothes for the approaching summer. (Velva Sheen was a silkscreening factory that had outlets around town that sold overruns and errors at low, LOW prices. My first polo shirt was an overrun from a seafood restaurant that advertised "A Whale of a Fish Sandwich!") After the buying orgy, we were looking for somewhere to have lunch and went past a long gone SNS. I'd recently heard that they had a pizza burger, so I talked Rob and Cone into pizza burgers for lunch. Before we ordered, one of them came up with the brilliant idea of going across the street to a Site gas station for a 12-pack of Wiedemann. SNS had a picnic table outside, and since it was a nice day, we decided to order to go and eat outside at the picnic table. While we were eating, a Hamilton County sheriff's car pulled through the lot. He looked our way as he drove past, stopped, and pulled back next to our picnic table. "How are you guys doing?" he asked, ignoring the obvious. We assured him that we could scarcely be better. "Are y'all over 18?" We assured him that we were. He laughed and shook his head, told us to enjoy our lunch, and left us alone.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper