Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Master Modeler

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnwwa
James
I see you have been busy. All very nice ,COOL designs and painted too! Oh BTW I have a Sony video camera now so we will get so footage of your rockets at the launch.

The best I can do for you is Tuesday 6:30 OPROC Launch site Discovery Bay,Wa

We had our 4-H car wash today took in over $600.00 in four hours. BMR's September launch is a go for the kids in the club. Gas money for the parents( 350 mile trip one way) and four bulk packs of motors.

BAR
John

Sorry John, back to work for me on Monday so Tuesday is out. Just keep me posted and a eye on the weather. Also congrats on the car wash. That's a good purse to help with the expences and should be good fun for the kids and parents.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Old 04-19-2009, 11:31 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

You have been busy!

That "Sky Marshall" design seems to have a modification, which looks good. Those engine nacelles dress up the appearance quite a bit. You say this one has not flown yet, right?

I may need to revise that design, using rkt2k1's canopy technique.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 04-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Master Modeler

Thumbs up

CPMcGraw
Quote:
You have been busy!

That "Sky Marshall" design seems to have a modification, which looks good. Those engine nacelles dress up the appearance quite a bit. You say this one has not flown yet, right?

Right, ha not been flown yet.
I added the ST-520 body tubes for looks because to me the side areas where too open. Also if I build another large ring fin design I will probably use label paper on the inside of it for a smoother look. I was difficult to get out the "fuzzies" from the inside if the ring.

CPMcGraw
Quote:
I may need to revise that design, using rkt2k1's canopy technique.

What rkt2k1's canopy technique and which file is it in? I must have missed that.

Simple description, you create a pod with a nose cone (minus the shoulder) and a transition (minus both shoulders). Place the two pieces back-to-back. Make the forward piece transparent (I like to do mine in light blue) by setting the opacity to about 50 or 60%. Now drop this pod down into the main body until just the upper half of both are showing.

Here's a link to the Falcon Rocket Racer, where Bill used it earlier on: FALCON

Last edited by James Pierson : 04-19-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Rusty Buckets, both of Us
Old 04-19-2009, 03:16 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

James,

Sorry about that "unintended edit" of your post. I'm supposed to have Moderator's status now, and I have "edit buttons" on everyone's post. I hit that instead of the "quote" button...

Scott, if you're reading this, is there a Moderator's "OOPSIE" button, which could undo my silly mistake?

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 04-19-2009, 11:53 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

I wish my bucket had some rust in it, it means it can still hold something...

I've tried Bill's method (simple as anything!) on another design, and it looks absolutely great using other ogive and elliptical shapes. I may even try munging a few different shapes together to see if I can come up with a simulated "sliding canopy" appearance.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 05-30-2009, 08:32 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default Flight Report For 05-30-2009

I just got back from "BARCLONE Field" for a hot, tiring, but enjoyable 2-hour flight session. It feels like it's been a year since I last flew, and checking the previous reports, it has been since last October!

I arrived at the field about 5 PM, and it was still warm to the point of almost being uncomfortable. We're in for a hot summer, I fear...

The sun was low and in my line of sight, so I could not get any flight shots this time around. I was having to shield my eyes with one hand and push the button with the other, so it didn't leave many options. Winds were a bit up, steady from 5-10 and gusting maybe up to 15 out of the NNW, so I had to tilt the pads a little more into the wind to keep the models from drifting out of the recovery zone.

I stuffed a dozen models into a cardboard box and decided I was going to fly all of them before calling it a day. Came close, flying eleven. The only one I could not fly was my TZ-10 prototype of Jay's Tau Zero -- I forgot to take any masking tape with me, and this prototype was constructed without an engine hook. Bummer...

Several flights had hotter-than-normal parachute melt-throughs, and I wound up with three that ended their careers early with holes and torn shroud lines.

FLIGHT REPORT

Flight 1: BARCLONE Blue Sneek, B6-4. Good climb, reaching 350-400' altitude. The pad was rotated to the west too far, and the LZ was about 200' to the SW of the pads.

Flight 2: BARCLONE Dominion Keeper, B6-4. Another good climb, to about 350', but the parachute tangled and did not open. The landing was much harder than normal. LZ was about 100' N of the pad. One of the rear fins was shattered on impact.

Flight 3: BARCLONE Tradewind, B6-4. Good climb, again to about 350', with a good parachute deploy. LZ was only about 60' SE from the pad.

Flight 4: BARCLONE Andromeda, B6-4. First attempt was a misfire. Second attempt reached maybe 300', still a good climb. First parachute damaged due to ejection particle blow-by and blow-through the dog barf. One shroud line pulled through, may have been a High-Dv deploy. No damage to model. LZ was about 250' W of the pad.

Flight 5: BARCLONE Rhemus, B6-4. This flight had a good climb to about 400', but also produced the second parachute melting of the day. The shock chord tangled, but the parachute still opened up and the model descended safe. Landing was about 200' N of the pad.

Flight 6: BARCLONE Stryker, B6-4. Pronounced roll to starboard, more horizontal than vertical, but still looked good. May have reached 250', but not more than 300' altitude. The shock chord became wrapped around the starboard wing, but the parachute opened and the model came down flat. Looked better than the description suggests. The drift was getting longer by this time, and LZ was about 100' S of the pad.

Flight 7: BARCLONE Vulture, A3-4T. This was the maiden voyage for this model, I think. The original design was for 18mm engines, but once I had this one built I knew it would be better on just 13mm. This was one of the better flights of the day, reaching at least 250' and possibly 275' altitude. Another roll to starboard, but good recovery. LZ was less than 50' W of the pad.

Flight 8: BARCLONE Tau Draconis, A3-4T. Ringtails are high-drag designs, so the altitude was only about 175-200'. There was a longer-than-needed deployment delay, making me think I should have used the A10-3T instead. I'll have to check the simulations again. The LZ was still only about 50' W from the pad.

Flight 9: BARCLONE Argo, A3-4T. Did not seem to get any better altitude than the Tau Draconis, maybe 200'. Another long delay before deployment. LZ was about 100' SW of the pad.

Flight 10: BARCLONE Spear Tip, A3-4T. Good climb easily to about 300', but the drift was high again and the LZ was a long 300' walk S of the pad.

Flight 11: BARCLONE Prometheus, A8-3. I don't feel safe using higher power on this model, and if I were to build another, I'd look carefully at limiting it to 13mm. This bird always gets good altitude on "A" power, at least 250' on this flight even with the rod tilt. LZ was about 150' S of the pad, drift again. Upon recovery, the model was found to have strike damage from the recoil of the ejection charge. The top edge of the lower body was impacted and folded inward, while the ST-5 section above the balsa transition, just below the ST-7 section, has a bad crease which may force my decision to build a second model.

I may edit this report with some of the post-flight photos I managed to get...

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635