Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Jetex/von Braun Spaceship question.

Back again with yet another question for the group. In another thread, there has been some discussion of Jetex powered rockets/space vehicles. I guess this is kind of borderline, but I think it might fit here.

Back sometime in the late 1950s (I think), one of the "Modern Popular Scientific Illustrated Mechanics" magazines published a special section on models and model building. One of the articles in that section was about a one man/garage business. Someone was making and selling kits for a Jetex powered version of the early style von Braun glide recovery spaceship. (The early canard model, not the later Disney delta-wing version.) There were several photos of the craft. I don't remember if there were plans or not, but I remember the photos.

The members of this group have been shown to have an incredible knowlege of those early days. I am hoping that someone might remember the article I am talking about. Would any of you have a copy of that article to post here, or maybe a link to it? This is one of the ones that got away, and I would love to see it again.

It was not a verticle flyer, but it had a very nice 1950's/spacey look to it. With some suitable modifications, this design might be able to be made into a boost-glide model.

Thanks,

The Fireman
Old 01-19-2014, 08:25 AM
MMXCVII

If this is what you're looking for just search for "Bonestell Von Braun".

Is there are trick to posting a picture using a link instead of uploading the file?
Old 01-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Rockets & BP= Happy, Happy, Happy

I think billspad may be closer to what you are asking for. But...

Have tried Jetex website? These were the only space craft I found on the site, but they have plans for many old model kits that they offered.

Jetex Space Ships

David

NAR #96285

SoAR #503

My Low Power Rocket Fleet

Level 1 (2-22-2014) GRITS Winternationals
Level 2 TBD
Level 3 TBD
Old 01-19-2014, 11:37 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspad
If this is what you're looking for just search for "Bonestell Von Braun".

Is there are trick to posting a picture using a link instead of uploading the file?

Bill,

Thanks for the reply. That is the correct vehicle, alright!

Tried to search for Bonestell Von Braun, but didn't turn up anything here on the forum.

I have a number of drawings/paintings of the ship, including the Bonestell pics and the 1950s Colliers magazine articles, but am specifically looking for the article about the model kit. I could improvise and come up with something that looks right, but I really want to find that article to see how it was done there.

Will post here if I turn up anything on it.

Thanks for your time and help!

The Fireman
Old 01-19-2014, 12:14 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronot
I think billspad may be closer to what you are asking for. But...

Have tried Jetex website? These were the only space craft I found on the site, but they have plans for many old model kits that they offered.

Jetex Space Ships

David

David,

I thought I had looked the Jetex site over pretty well, but I had never come across these before. I didn't kow about the "Dan Dare" ship until yesterday, when another member posted a picture of it here, and I didn't know about the other one at all.

The Zyra plans are a real treat! "When Worlds Collide" has long been a favorite film of mine, but I never knew about this Jetex kit. I have a feeling this is one I am going to have to try to clone... It just so happens that I have a spare Jetex 50 motor in the old parts box.

This may not be what I was asking for, but it is a fantastic find! This forum is quickly becoming my favorite place to hang out on the internet. Only trouble is that I am going to have to live another 60 years or so to have time to get all of these models built and flown. I guess I can make that sacrifice.

Thanks again. These are wonderful links!

The Fireman
Old 02-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Found This Kit

Found this kit, has good drawings.
http://www.sharkit.com/sharkit/ferr...ferryrocket.htm

Drawing: http://www.sharkit.com/sharkit/ferr...erryTNotice.jpg

Is this what you're looking for?

Mike
Old 02-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Rockets & BP= Happy, Happy, Happy

That is a very cool link you supplied there mbauer. I enjoyed looking at it.

Thanks,

David

NAR #96285

SoAR #503

My Low Power Rocket Fleet

Level 1 (2-22-2014) GRITS Winternationals
Level 2 TBD
Level 3 TBD
Old 02-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer
Found this kit, has good drawings.
http://www.sharkit.com/sharkit/ferr...ferryrocket.htm

Drawing: http://www.sharkit.com/sharkit/ferr...erryTNotice.jpg

Is this what you're looking for?

Mike

Yes and no. It is the right ship, but not the same model I am trying to locate. The one I am looking for (or any plans/photos/info about same) was made and sold in the late 50's or very early 60's. The one I am looking for was balsa, and was a flying model propelled by a Jetex motor.

That being said, the one you posted the link for above is absolutely amazing! The ilustrations and photos are pretty impressive too. The pics showing the interior with von Braun's ejection pods is flat out incredible. It is great that this iconic old ship is still remembered and that sharkit has gone to the time and effort to make this dream machine availible as a kit. What a fantastic job! I would love to have one of these for my collection, but it is way outside my budget.

Thank you so much for posting this link!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Cardstock Designer

Default Design Project For Future Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman
Yes and no. It is the right ship, but not the same model I am trying to locate. The one I am looking for (or any plans/photos/info about same) was made and sold in the late 50's or very early 60's. The one I am looking for was balsa, and was a flying model propelled by a Jetex motor.

That being said, the one you posted the link for above is absolutely amazing! The ilustrations and photos are pretty impressive too. The pics showing the interior with von Braun's ejection pods is flat out incredible. It is great that this iconic old ship is still remembered and that sharkit has gone to the time and effort to make this dream machine availible as a kit. What a fantastic job! I would love to have one of these for my collection, but it is way outside my budget.

Thank you so much for posting this link!

You're Welcome!

Plan to one day create a model of this amazing concept vehicle. This is one of the best reference drawings and sites that my searches have found.

Once done, I'll upload a PDF file to share. Working on three other project for now-probably be some time before I get a chance to work on this. Still looking for reference material, always good to get as much as possible before doing a project, that way easier to do the project right!

I'll keep checking this thread for what others post...

Great thread, Thank you for starting it!

Mike
Old 08-27-2015, 10:29 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Also searching for Jetex-powered Von Braun "shuttle" model

The one I "remember" was, IIRC, in a U.S. model airplane magazine -- Model Airplane News or American Modeler, probably. I would guess the article was dated 1955, plus or minus three years. I believe it was a profile model, powered by a Jetex 150.

After roughly sixty years, though, I can't be sure.

I was hunting for online 1950s-era model airplane magazine archives when I found this thread.

BTW, as best I remember, this was a "plans" article, not a review of a kit or of a ready-built model.

Last edited by Donosauro : 08-28-2015 at 12:22 PM. Reason: I forgot to mention...