Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-25-2008, 11:21 PM
SEL's Avatar
SEL SEL is offline
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,088
Default Alpha-1

Does anyone know what was used as the 'Oxidizer' in the old Alpha-1 rocket kits?
Picked one up on ebay that came w/3 drums of 'Fuel' (baking soda ?), but I haven't been ableto find any info on the other powdered ingredient is.

Sean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Alpha_1_1.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  17.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Alpha_1_2.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  28.7 KB  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 AM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,692
Default

I have one of those that my Dad gave me.
He had it as a toy in his youth.
The "oxidizer" was powdered Alum which when dissolved in water is an acid that reacts with the "fuel" Baking Soda to produce the CO2 that pressurizes & launches the rocket.
I can tell you from trying it out, it flies DISMALLY low (under 75') and makes a mess on the lawn.
A decent toy store water-rocket will fly higher.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and NEVER touch the brake !!!
No Harm=NO Foul advocate

If you are NOT FLYING LOW in the left lane, you need to GET THE #$&@ OUT of it !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask, you probably aren't
!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Ltvscout's Avatar
Ltvscout Ltvscout is offline
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The "oxidizer" was powdered Alum which when dissolved in water is an acid that reacts with the "fuel" Baking Soda to produce the CO2 that pressurizes & launches the rocket.

Is it Alum? I thought it was maybe a powdered citric acid.
__________________
Scott D. Hansen
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe - Your One Stop BAR Shoppe!
Ye Olde Rocket Plans - OOP Rocket Plans From 38 Companies!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
Ye Olde Rocket Auction
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-26-2008, 11:23 AM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,692
Default

I think Citric Acid would work equally as well (or as bad depending on your perspective).
What was with mine was labeled "non-toxic", so I tasted it MANY years ago (20 or so) and it sure tasted like Potassium Alum (used for making pickles) to me. (Foolish, I know and would never do something like that now)
Using straight white vinegar as the "oxidizer" produced flights that were consistently higher.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and NEVER touch the brake !!!
No Harm=NO Foul advocate

If you are NOT FLYING LOW in the left lane, you need to GET THE #$&@ OUT of it !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask, you probably aren't
!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-26-2008, 09:58 PM
SEL's Avatar
SEL SEL is offline
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Is it Alum? I thought it was maybe a powdered citric acid.


The 'Rocketeer's Journal' called it 'citric bicarbonate'. Newer versions use vinager and baking soda.

Sean
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Richard Hull Richard Hull is offline
Junior Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
Default history of alpha-1

The Alpha-1 was a product of Texaco Experiment Inc. based in Richmond Virginia.

I was an amateur rocketeer (zinc and sulfur / nitrate and sugar - metal missles, etc.) from 1957 until 1966 and was a member and president of the (RARA) Richmond Amateur Rocket Association. One of our mentors and advisors was Dr. Jerry Burke, a scientist at Experiment Inc. That company produced this little alpha-1 missle not so much for money but to advance a safer venue to amateur rocketry.

The company specialized in low altitude sounding rockets and designed the pressurized CO2 "cricket" to indicate low altitude wind patterns for meterologists.

I had several of these alpha rockets in slight variants. All of them used sodium carbonate and Citric acid. Later, the cheaper bi-carbonate was used.

As near as I can recall, the rocket appeared first in the 1959 time frame and had a rather short sales life, perhaps two good years. It was a great performer going up 100-200 feet or so. I am not sure if any other company bought the rights to the missle and continued its sale beyond 1961.

Today it would be classed as extremely hazardous as the missle streamlined back to earth like a lawn dart. The missle was not a featherweight, either. It had a special rubber nose point that was carefully chosen, according to Dr. Burke. I know that I was stunned when on a few occasions our missle dove straight into the paved street near my home. It would hit nose first and rebound or bounce back up in the air fully 20 feet or more! The rocket would, often, on a soft grassy lawn, embed itself up to its fins!

This is a rather rare item today, especially if the entire kit is found intact.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-17-2010, 03:29 PM
stefanj stefanj is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 2,506
Default

I had one. Woolworth's carried the rocket and fuel reload packs. Circa 1966-67.

The instruction sheet showed a multi-stage version.

I could barely read at the time and never got it working by the time my toddler brother broke it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Royatl's Avatar
Royatl Royatl is offline
SPEV/Orion wrangler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hull
The Alpha-1 was a product of Texaco Experiment Inc. based in Richmond Virginia.

I was an amateur rocketeer (zinc and sulfur / nitrate and sugar - metal missles, etc.) from 1957 until 1966 and was a member and president of the (RARA) Richmond Amateur Rocket Association. One of our mentors and advisors was Dr. Jerry Burke, a scientist at Experiment Inc. That company produced this little alpha-1 missle not so much for money but to advance a safer venue to amateur rocketry.

The company specialized in low altitude sounding rockets and designed the pressurized CO2 "cricket" to indicate low altitude wind patterns for meterologists.

I had several of these alpha rockets in slight variants. All of them used sodium carbonate and Citric acid. Later, the cheaper bi-carbonate was used.

As near as I can recall, the rocket appeared first in the 1959 time frame and had a rather short sales life, perhaps two good years. It was a great performer going up 100-200 feet or so. I am not sure if any other company bought the rights to the missle and continued its sale beyond 1961.

Today it would be classed as extremely hazardous as the missle streamlined back to earth like a lawn dart. The missle was not a featherweight, either. It had a special rubber nose point that was carefully chosen, according to Dr. Burke. I know that I was stunned when on a few occasions our missle dove straight into the paved street near my home. It would hit nose first and rebound or bounce back up in the air fully 20 feet or more! The rocket would, often, on a soft grassy lawn, embed itself up to its fins!

This is a rather rare item today, especially if the entire kit is found intact.


they come up with some regularity on EBay.

One of the more interesting scale entries at NARAM-13 in 1971 (in Aberdeen, MD) was a full size model of a Texaco Cricket. With it's tiny fins (which I assume were fold-in's on the real one, for tube launching?) it didn't fly very well.
__________________
Roy
nar12605
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Cohetero-negro's Avatar
Cohetero-negro Cohetero-negro is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Does anyone know what was used as the 'Oxidizer' in the old Alpha-1 rocket kits?
Picked one up on ebay that came w/3 drums of 'Fuel' (baking soda ?), but I haven't been ableto find any info on the other powdered ingredient is.

Sean



Sean and others,

I have often wondered if the mechanism for the 2-stage version of the Alpha was the impetus for the ejection/staging mechanism for the Vashon rockets?

in principle they are the same; high pressure holding the stages together with a bladder section, and then the lower pressure in the bladded allowing the stages to separate and the second stage doing its 'conservation of momentum' venting to propel it. Just wondering.

Jonathan - Still more, tell me why?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-05-2010, 08:26 PM
SEL's Avatar
SEL SEL is offline
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
Sean and others,

I have often wondered if the mechanism for the 2-stage version of the Alpha was the impetus for the ejection/staging mechanism for the Vashon rockets?

in principle they are the same; high pressure holding the stages together with a bladder section, and then the lower pressure in the bladded allowing the stages to separate and the second stage doing its 'conservation of momentum' venting to propel it. Just wondering.

Jonathan - Still more, tell me why?


Not sure how it works as I don't own one. If anyone's interested tho,
there is one up on ebay : http://cgi.ebay.com/LUNAR-1-TWO-STAGE-ROCKET-MOON-ROCKET-SCIENTIFIC-PRO-66-/260630569358?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3caecae18e

S.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2018