Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Retired Missile Technician

One thing that the DARS group and I cussed and discussed yesterday is a "Lessons Learned" compilation. I had most of the detail on mine early, and they painted the details first and later applied them. This was especially useful for the antenna panels. RCS, etc.
Don't know when I will complete the kit I opened to provide back-up parts, but I know now what NOT to do.

Chas
Old 10-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
One thing that the DARS group and I cussed and discussed yesterday is a "Lessons Learned" compilation. I had most of the detail on mine early, and they painted the details first and later applied them. This was especially useful for the antenna panels. RCS, etc.
Don't know when I will complete the kit I opened to provide back-up parts, but I know now what NOT to do.

Chas

For myself, I pretty much had some ideas beforehand the changes to make during the build;
my problem is I usually need about 2 1/2 to 3 months to do a good build of a model of this
complexity & skill level.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
For myself, I pretty much had some ideas beforehand the changes to make during the build;
my problem is I usually need about 2 1/2 to 3 months to do a good build of a model of this
complexity & skill level.

That was how I attacked it, too. And my timeline would be about the same as yours. Right at the moment, I am thoroughly disgusted with how mine is turning out - it is so very far from what I envisioned, and so far from what I know that I can do. I really, really wish that I had tried to build one of these before. And I also wish that I had another couple of kits on hand to raid for spare parts.

I really don't know when this will go out. I am working furiously to try to get it in the mail Tuesday morning, but right now, it looks like I'm going to need a couple of miracles to make that happen.

I am so sorry. I am very, very sorry.

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 10-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Retired Missile Technician

My point was that we take input from everyone who participated in this build to make suggestions and guidelines for improving the build of the kit. SEMROC's Saturn IB is a copy of the original Estes kit and has its flaws, but they are copies of the original flaws.
It is nice to know that I made some of the mistakes that others made, but if we could provide tips for making the build better and/or easier, the whole modeling community benefits.

Chas
Old 10-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
That was how I attacked it, too. And my timeline would be about the same as yours. Right at the moment, I am thoroughly disgusted with how mine is turning out - it is so very far from what I envisioned, and so far from what I know that I can do. I really, really wish that I had tried to build one of these before. And I also wish that I had another couple of kits on hand to raid for spare parts.

I really don't know when this will go out. I am working furiously to try to get it in the mail Tuesday morning, but right now, it looks like I'm going to need a couple of miracles to make that happen.

I am so sorry. I am very, very sorry.

Mark \\.
Mark,

There is no reason to be sorry! We were expecting/wishing-for/praying-for 30+ major miracles in the time-frame and complexity that we were facing.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 10-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Rocket buildin' machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
My point was that we take input from everyone who participated in this build to make suggestions and guidelines for improving the build of the kit. SEMROC's Saturn IB is a copy of the original Estes kit and has its flaws, but they are copies of the original flaws.
It is nice to know that I made some of the mistakes that others made, but if we could provide tips for making the build better and/or easier, the whole modeling community benefits.

Chas

Sounds like a fine plan--let the dust settle on this project, then fire up a new tips/lessons learned thread. I've got a bunch ready to go, though many refer back to the standard tower/capsule, not the Apogee. I've built 5 of these now, and still have the instruction booklet from the first one. I kept notes in it, and used it to build the others, marking up more notes along the way. For these, honestly, other than needing to look up a few dimensions along the way, I didn't need the booklet at all.

Note to Mark--in any complex project, there are three driving variables that are used to absorb surprises--cost, scope, and deadline. The deadline is what it is, so don't fret too badly, but don't bail. Just sacrifice some scope, and to some degree sacrifice the cost by shooting for Tuesday shipment using Priority mail. It doesn't have to be the most magnificent model you are capable of building (most of us cut LOTS of corners along the way), but it does seem like having a model on every table, and one more model to auction off towards charity would go a long way towards building positive karma/paying forward. For instance, masking might take 6-8 hours and the paint process spread over 3-4 days, but if you paint by hand you can save most of the mask work and at least half the paint cure time. Heck, I even did one using magic markers for the black and silver (BT-20-based, not one in this scale).
Old 10-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Master Modeler

OK, it's time for fins and nernies.

You guys have it easy; I still have to do a build and article for the magazine and it's due tomorrow...

Mario
Old 10-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Old and in the way

"Everybody gets whats they want.
I wanted a mission, and for my sins they gave me one.
When it was over I would never want another" - Captain Willard
It's done.
I'm not as satisfiied as I'd like - but.
I tried to upload a picture, but I don't see it in the preview. We'll see.
Tim L
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1337_1_5_1.JPG
Views: 121
Size:  379.2 KB  

Last edited by atticus : 10-12-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Master Modeler

Ok, I'm now in the home stretch! Got the camera target markings, along with the vertical
motion markings and the UNITED STATES w/flag on the SM. Will take a short break before I
"tackle" the water slide decals. Pic below is where I'm at now. I switched my camera's resolution higher, and my batteries promptly went dead just as this pic was taken. Will have
to do a recharge while decaling and hope it (the batteries) will have enough "juice" so I can
take some final pics of my build before I get ready to ship.

More later!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  LAUNCH - SEMROC SA-205 Saturn 1-B Project 004.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  153.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  LAUNCH - SEMROC SA-205 Saturn 1-B Project 005.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  145.5 KB  
Old 10-12-2008, 06:33 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Wish I had thought of that. I wound up recreating the shroud pattern from the Semroc kit, and trimmed it in a few places to give it a better fit on my model. I had to move three consecutive scalloped sections slightly closer together to get them to fit close to the fuel tubes. Then I traced that modified shroud onto a piece of styrene, and used the styrene pattern to make the shroud. I used Squadron green putty to fill the gaps (there were many) between the bottom edge of the shroud and the fin tube.

Mark \\.

Wish I'd thought of it sooner...

I also tried the sheet styrene method, but even that wouldn't align properly. I wound up printing another copy of the shroud on cardstock and working it around one tank at a time. BONDO spot putty filled in the remaining gap, and for the most part worked out well. I like the BONDO better than Squadron green (or white - I've used both in the past) as it comes out of the tube much "wetter" than SGP. It worked into the gaps a bit deeper, anyway.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635