Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Master Modeler

Default Estes K-29 Saturn 1-B

I've been somewhat "quietly" building my vintage Estes K-29 1/70 scale Saturn 1-B since
the start of the Christmas Holidays 2008. I've been posting some of the build progress in
the YORF, but only those who were on the LAUNCH/Semroc Apollo - 7/Saturn 1-B Celebration
program back in October could see these.

Granted, the build project from last Fall gave plenty of insight. The Estes version has a few
differences, but nevertheless is nearly identical to the Semroc reproduction. As with the Apollo - 7/Saturn 1-B Celebration last Fall, I ordered the Apogee Apollo Capsule Kit to use instead of building the Skill Level - 5 Estes Apollo/LES kit. I modified mine to have the recovery system separate at the IU/LEM Shroud joint (like the Centuri 1/100 Saturn 1-B).

Pic below shows what's been done so far; all I have left is the final finishing/decaling and the
Service Module detailing. One thing I did discover over the weekend, when test fitting the
model on the launch pad (3/16" rod) was the upper launch lug needs a small standoff, as the
launch rod will slightly rub up against the side of the upper main bodytube. So, I'm going
to have to remove the upper lug (see pic below, taken while build was underway several weeks ago) and reattach it with a thin balsa standoff. Hate it when this has to be done after
the painting!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes K-29 Saturn 1-B Build.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  70.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes K-29 Saturn 1-B Build 002.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  67.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes K-29 Saturn 1-B Build 003.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  59.9 KB  

Last edited by dwmzmm : 02-01-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:25 PM
TARGET GSTL!

Thanks for sharing this Dave, I'm a huge Sat1B fan! BTW, is that smaller 1B an Estes #2048 1/100 1B or an old Centuri 1/100 1B?
Old 02-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay
Thanks for sharing this Dave, I'm a huge Sat1B fan! BTW, is that smaller 1B an Estes #2048 1/100 1B or an old Centuri 1/100 1B?

Thanks, Jay! The smaller one is the Centuri kit, bought and built way back in 1971. I still have it today, and flew it as recently as several years ago at JSC. The vacuformed plastic
fin can has become quite brittle, so I need to retire it so it won't get damaged anymore. I
was using it for reference while building this K-29 kit and did the same as I built the Semroc
kit last Fall for the LAUNCH/Semroc Apollo - 7/Saturn 1-B Celebration project.

Below are several pics of the Centuri model in one of its' most recent flight:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC01870s_sized.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  101.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100B7660_sized.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  24.6 KB  
Old 02-01-2009, 10:50 PM
TARGET GSTL!

'71 vintage Centuri! That's a great recovery pic too. What brand/impulse motor for that flight?
Old 02-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay
'71 vintage Centuri! That's a great recovery pic too. What brand/impulse motor for that flight?

Two C6-5's . The rocketeer who took the recovery pic (Warren Benson) playfully
blasted me for not announcing the countdown and launch loudly enough, as he wasn't
prepared with his digital camera (had to scramble to take that second shot you saw). At
that launch (JSC), we had our pads set up with the mis-fire alley system, so most of the
pads were pretty far apart from each other.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:18 PM
TARGET GSTL!

Two C6-5's, nice! How would that performance compare to say.....D12-3 in a #2048 Estes 1/100 Sat1b which is what I fly and leaves a little to be desired. I've heard that it is essentially the Centuri kit reissued save for the D-motor mount. Have you ever tried the two A8-3 configuration? I also like that you use two 'chutes.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Master Modeler

The only engines I've used are two B6-4's and C6-5's; don't recall if I've used the A8-3's.
Not sure what the comparison of a single D12 versus the twin C6's are for this model; maybe
someone has done or seen it and can chime in. I personally prefer flying the Saturn's with
clusters....
Old 02-02-2009, 12:37 PM
frustrated aero

Wow Dave you are inspiring me to build my vintage kit that I have had since the 70s--it has been opened, but lovingly protected. I used the kit to draw this CAD model to figure out how all the tubes fit together.

I bought a Semroc last year, but haven't started it either. The painting and clustering intimidate me.

Are you going to fly it clustered, or use a single larger motor?
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 02-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketguy101
Wow Dave you are inspiring me to build my vintage kit that I have had since the 70s--it has been opened, but lovingly protected. I used the kit to draw this CAD model to figure out how all the tubes fit together.

I bought a Semroc last year, but haven't started it either. The painting and clustering intimidate me.

Are you going to fly it clustered, or use a single larger motor?

Yes, inspiration and the dream is what this hobby (and space exploration) is all about. Your
CAD images look great; I'm gonna have to save them on my hard drive (if you don't mind?).

I'm flying this bird clustered (most of the model is pretty much built to the Estes specs, other than the differences mentioned in my earlier posts).
Old 02-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Master Modeler

Wow Dave she's a real beauty! You've done a fantastic job. I can't wait to see the finished product and hear the flight report.

I like the idea of going with the Apogee Apollo Capsule Kit. Someone else posted up a picture of it somewhere. It's got lots of detail which will look great sitting on top of the finished rocket.