Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2015, 03:31 AM
7/21/61

And now for something really different.

Until today I had presumed that the original Leeds Sweete sharpeners came first, then Sterling Products created their Atomic Sharpener which used a differently shaped case but the same patented sharpening tool, hence the same patent number on both products.

But it appears that the Sterling sharpener may have actually been manufactured by Leeds Sweete.

The sharpener and package in the photos below show a "Frankenstein" mix of the Leeds Sweete packaging modified for a Sterling-style sharpener.

When I first saw this I thought that maybe someone had just put a Sterling sharpener in an empty Leeds case but closer examination reveals this was actually made by Leeds Sweete and was made specifically for the Sterling-style sharpener.

Examination of the staple shows this is not something that was restapled and the packaging around the bottom is unripped, strongly suggesting this item is as it was originally produced.

Note that the opening through which the sharpener is visible is neither round like the Leeds Sweete package nor upright pyramidal like the Sterling. Instead, this is an inverted pyramid with a slit at the top. The front and back of the package have the same printing as the later version Leeds Sweete "Rocket" branded sharpeners, but the bottom has a hole big enough for the base of the sharpener, like the later Sterling packages. The original Leeds Sweete's have a much smaller hole at the bottom, about the size of an average crayon. So this is clearly not a Leeds Sweete package into which someone jammed a Sterling shapener.

Last difference is that the hole to hang the sharpener on a peg rack is round, unlike the oval holes on the other styles of Leeds Sweete packages. Sterling's Atomic Sharpeners had no punch hole.

I have never seen one of these before. Unfortunately ,where this particular sharpener came from is unknown. I wonder if this was a production item that was actually marketed or possibly a prototype which led to the eventual Sterling Atomic sharpener.

Either way, it is definitely rare and interesting.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  $_57-1.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  188.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  $_57-2.JPG
Views: 32
Size:  194.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  $_57-3.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  151.4 KB  Click image for larger version