Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 01:42 PM
7/21/61

Default What size are these cones?

Blue payload sections which were being sold with a bunch of Estes parachute packs. I bought a set of these cones but can't figure out what size they are and what kit they might have come off of. Very odd size as follows:

Outside: 1 3/32 in 1.09 in 28 mm
Inside (shoulder diameter): 1 1/32 in 1.02 in 26 mm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  cones.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  88.9 KB  
Old 11-11-2012, 01:54 PM
I do not like Facebook

Probably some RTF offering as the 1090 tubes are commonly used there.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 11-11-2012, 04:22 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Probably some RTF offering as the 1090 tubes are commonly used there.

Bill

Bill,

1090 sounds correct. Any idea which RTF had blue cones and a payload section? Hijax looks similar but it was white.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:13 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Blue payload sections which were being sold with a bunch of Estes parachute packs. I bought a set of these cones but can't figure out what size they are and what kit they might have come off of. Very odd size as follows:

Outside: 1 3/32 in 1.09 in 28 mm
Inside (shoulder diameter): 1 1/32 in 1.02 in 26 mm

I think those were used on the Estes Dagger or something similar. Dagger had a black nose cone and payload section with those molded in black but several different colors on the E2X series kits for that same cone & coupler were available.

Maybe came in one of the E2X generic bulk packs?

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Master Blaster

I bought the same nose cone payload selection from EBAY. I also have a rocket that was given to me by a young man that was a member of our club back in the 1990's, he told me he had wanted me to have it, because I always gave him stuff. he built the rocket at the NASA Space Academy. this rocket has the same Blue NC Payload Section. I Have a couple extra EX2 body tubes that will work with these parts, question is does anyone know where to get more
body tubes this size? I don't think Estes has ever offered these tubes for sale as parts.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:15 PM
7/21/61

Neal,

Semroc, BMS, and Totally Tubular (eRockets) don't carry the 1090 size tube. 1090 sized centering rings aren't really available either.

As far as I can tell these cones were meant for RTFs which used the plastic fin/motor-mount combos. As such, they're not too useful except as replacement parts.

But at least they were cheap, LOL.

I figure the parachute packs with motor hooks and shock cord were worth what we paid for the whole lots. And who knows, you hang around eBay long enough someone is bound to offer up a bunch of 1090 tubes and fin cans sooner or later.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:23 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Miller
I bought the same nose cone payload selection from EBAY. I also have a rocket that was given to me by a young man that was a member of our club back in the 1990's, he told me he had wanted me to have it, because I always gave him stuff. he built the rocket at the NASA Space Academy. this rocket has the same Blue NC Payload Section. I Have a couple extra EX2 body tubes that will work with these parts, question is does anyone know where to get more
body tubes this size? I don't think Estes has ever offered these tubes for sale as parts.

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=2025
YMMV

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Master Blaster

Thanks for the post Bill, I have all ready tried this NC with the Centuri #10 tube .
fit is to tight.
I have 2 of the EX2 body tube, both are nice bright florescent pink, should make for some cool rockets. I could let my daughter build something with those tubes.

I have added a picture of the Space Academy rocket with the Blue nose cone /payload section.

I have found that there is no hope in finding any of the BT 1090 tubes. but I have an idea.
I am going to cut the shoulder off of one of the PNC 1090 nose cones and take a Semroc # 10 Balsa coupler, and glue it inside of the cone and see how it fits in a #10 Semroc tube.
Thank All of You for the Input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0045.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  773.2 KB  

Last edited by Neal Miller : 11-17-2012 at 08:19 PM.