Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Dazed and Confused

Default Paint Craze

I'm (insert expletives here) with the last couple of paint jobs I've done. This is the second rocket in a row that had paint crazing. This time I was doing the yellow on my EAC Viper. I used an older can of Krylon John Deere Yellow because the plans call for a yellow-orange color. I've used 10-15 year old Krylon cans before with great results, so this is beginning to gnaw at me. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the paint has had too extreme of a temperature cycling this year. I keep all my paint in the same place that I have for 14 years, but this year is the first for this. I was putting it on over Krylon Gloss White from a new can.

What's more annoying is that I can't find John Deere Yellow around here anymore. My can is #1804. Going by the website, John Deere Yellow no longer exists as a general purpose interior-exterior paint. I've found it listed as #1816 on a few websites, but that number doesn't show up on the Krylon site either. I don't think Sun Yellow #1806 will look right, but I may have to use it. I've got plenty of time to look for other paint now because I'll have to let the paint that I couldn't wip off fully cure before I can sand it off and start from the ground up again.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:11 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

There are plenty of other sources for John Deere Yellow besides Krylon.
If you have a TSC store in your area they sell at least two brands of that color.
Also, ANY John Deere dealer stocks the Deere touch-up paint in spray cans.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-15-2006, 01:59 PM
Dazed and Confused

I hit the TSC store today. Got some Plasticote lacquer primer...been looking for lacquer primer for a few years now....ever sinceDutch Boy (K-Mart) cheap primers went from lacquer to enamel primers.

They didn't have any John Deere Yellow, so I picked up some School Bus Yellow.

The one big negative...even their cheapest paints were expensive! I've never paid over $1.50 for a can of primer and the cheapest they had was $4.39. I spent $10 today on two rattle cans!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:42 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Decent paint nowadays costs a LOT of money.
I'm sure they have pints/quarts of John Deere yellow under the BPS brand, but you have to shoot it with a gun or airbrush. Incidentally, TSC is also the only place I know of that you can still get LEAD based primers....it is sold as Zinc Galvanizing primer for trailers...this stuff weighs NO JOKE about 50lbs a gallon !
I almost exclusively use an airbrush to paint my rockets....I use either vintage Aero Gloss dopes (I have CASES of the stuff in MOST colors) or PPG and DuPont auto paints.
Lacquer Primer is the ONLY primer worth a hoot (other than KILZ)....enamel primers are AWFUL and cannot be used as a base for Dope as a topcoat. If I use enamel or Auto paint as the topcoat I use Kilz as the primer as it fills spirals so well....If I use dope, I prime with Pactra Prep or Auto Lacquer primer.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !