Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2010, 12:15 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
My thought process behind this one was to use up all of the extra A8-3 engines I have in my range box. I usually hit Michael's with a 40% coupon for an Estes Flight Pack, and most of my flying is done on B and C motors. Thus, the excess A's.

With that specific motor in mind, my plan was to have only one 'chute on the non-cockpit side, and have the cockpit side just blow the nose with a shock cord and no chute.

Thanks for the other suggestions on noses, but this thing really came together as a SPEV (Spare Parts Elimination Vehicle). The only balsa I fully cut was the center span. Everything else either came from another kit or was scrap. I kinda want to stay with the noses I've shown.

I'm definitely leaning towards the longer Screaming Eagle cockpit cone, as I've still got a bunch of 'em...

Later,
EV

EV, a suggestion concerning the torsion forces. Add a cross-brace of some sort near the top edges of the tubes. Wouldn't have to be major, more decorative than structural, but substantial enough to resist the tubes trying to do leg splits...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 11-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Old School Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko_racer
I also noticed that you did not glued the fins on top of the guide lines, centered on the root of the fins. You used the lines as a guide and placed the fins at the edge of the root. This way one ensures that the fin is really straight. Great idea!

Ummm, that really wasn't on purpose...

I usually center on the alignment lines. In this case, I was just goofing around, so as you can see, I drew multiple lines at the 0, 30, 45, and 60 degree marks. I simply wanted to go for the best look.

As I was holding the fins up to see what it looked like, I felt like the 30 degree was a bit too steep, so I just put the fin along the line to bring it a bit more inboard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
I think it may prove advantageous to span the gap near the forward end of the BT. I know that the joining section is cross grain and should have all the strength in the world, and that motors are pretty reliable in terms of thrust and burn time, but being a belt and suspenders kind of guy I worry about the moment of two powered rockets with a single span between them. That and the possibility of differential in the drag of two different types of nose cone.

Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
EV, a suggestion concerning the torsion forces. Add a cross-brace of some sort near the top edges of the tubes. Wouldn't have to be major, more decorative than structural, but substantial enough to resist the tubes trying to do leg splits...

I've thought about that, but my intention is to never fly this thing with anything other than A8-3's. Given the low thrust of those, I'm thinking that I won't have to worry too much about forces ripping it apart.

Or will I?

This thing is turning out to be a fun experiment.....

Later,
EV