Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
We tried that last year and it was far too confusing. We are leaving the reserved numbers here and taking the next ones in line so we make sure we don't get them mixed up while we are setting up the booth like we did last year. (Right Scott?)

Sheryl will be here getting some rest, finally. These last three weeks have been brutal.

Heh, you're right. I did forget about that. I can possibly claim to be the only person other than the Semroc gang to have a #5 issue of a Semroc kit.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Default The Piester's

Kurt Schachner just picked up the Piester's from the airport and took them to the hotel. Lee brought along a case of 1/45th Little Joe II's for me.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-09-2006, 07:13 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I'd personally rather have a case of ENERJET kits !
But just ONE case of 1/45 LJII's ??

And if you guys believe that, I've got some slightly "damp" land to sell you in Florida

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !

Last edited by ghrocketman : 03-09-2006 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
We are getting packed to leave for NARCON. We will have three of our new kits. The Mars Lander, X-21, and Apollo Capsule will be available. Bruce and I will be there.

Update. Carl just told me that Sheryl is coming after all.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-11-2006, 07:43 PM
FlisKits, Inc.

I am SO upset that I am missing this! Kathy is too... ARGH!

I miss seeing Carl, Sheyrl and Bruce not to mention everybody else!

I am missing my own MITI with the UFFO (I hope that went off well) and I am missing our own new product announcement, Micromaxx kits!

ARRGGNN!

man.....

I want to hear ALL ABOUT IT!

And, at the same time, I don' wanna here a darned thing...

Next year we will make NARCON!
Old 03-12-2006, 07:40 AM
Old-Timer

Cool What's the Word?!?

Any word from SemRoc? I'd definitely like to hear Lee's 'address'. I'm sure we will hear about the "Centuri Memories".

I guess I have to sign up for the CD-rom of the gathering!

Last edited by Rocketking : 03-13-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Incurable Model Rocketeer

Send a message via Yahoo to DeanHFox

All I can say is this: It was amazing to (first) listen to Lee & Betty Piester's story about the origins and eventual destiny of Centuri Engineering, and (second) to meet them, just as "people", if you know what I mean.

But perhaps the "coolest" moment of the weekend was standing around a table of Centuri memorabilia and listening to Lee say, "Oh, yes, Bob drew that picture, and the kids on the cover of this catalog were the sons of the photographer we hired to take the pictures", and to hear Betty say, "Oh, Lee, look --- this is the guy that ran production for all those years". The spontaneous stories and anecdotes were the highlight of the conference, so far as I'm concerned. Lee & Better were just the kind of people you'd WANT to be among the founding icons of our hobby...smart, gracious, funny, and just the best sort of "folk" to be around.

(and, Jim, speaking as an attendee of the UFFO MITI with my 11-year-old son, your styro cup kits are a BIG hit...it's all he talked about on the way home. He excitedly showed his mom and little brother the Triglider and Splitfire he bought, but then said, "But look at this UFO I built! It's all cups! Isn't this the coolest thing? I'm gonna figure out how to build more things like this!" Needless to say...a trip to Wally World for a bag of styro cups is on the agenda for later today)

I think one of the other "cool" moments was watching Lee and Carl in deep discussion in Carl's booth, talking about Semroc's kits. You could just see the "engineer's" and "saleman's" wheel turning in Lee's mind as Carl showed him how the SLS and other kits were put together. Here's hoping Carl shares some of his feelings either here or on TRF; and that some of the zillions of pix that were being shot around moments like the ones I've described make it here, or on TRF, or Sport Rocketry...it was definitely a weekend I won't forget anytime soon.
NAR #53946SR

---- "Wherever you go, there you are"
Old 03-12-2006, 11:06 PM
BAR

I'm bummed you were not there too Jim. It would have been nice to meet you. On the bright side, I met Carl & Bruce from Semroc, it was nice to chat with them, though their booth was very busy every time I walked by. I am simply amazed that just the 3 of them have so many parts & kits available! (I did my part to help their business, the mars lander kit looks wonderful!)

Also was nice to meet the folks from Sirius (they were showing a new sci-fi kit to be released soon), Red River Rocketry, and BMS. The UFFO session looked to be a big hit, the room was packed with kids & their parents (gee, why didn't I bring a kid along?).

Not much more to say about Lee & Betty, it was neat to learn about the early days of Centuri. During the BAR open house, Lee picked up a number of the different vintage motors on display, and described when and how they made them, very interesting. He seemed glad to be out of the motor making business. The centuri memories published in the program were great. Thanks Jay, and nice meeting you.

The team outlander presentation was enjoyable, the best part is the ammunition it gives me when my wife claims I'M obsessed.

Wish I could have stayed longer, this was my first big outing since OHS 4 weeks ago; I ran out of gas quickly.
-Paul
Old 03-13-2006, 11:32 AM
FlisKits, Inc.

I am SO bummed that we couldn't make it. I am sure that our MMX announcement would have gone off much better (I forgot to send Stuart a sign...).

I am glad that the UFFO session was a hit (i've gotten a lot of mail about that). I really wanted to me Lee and folks too.

I am thrilled that it was a good outting for Carl and Bruce too. Their first NARCON (because we talked them into coming) was not a very good outting as sales were very slow (for everybody). A good outting like this will keep folks like SEMROC coming out to the national events.

We will be at NARCON next year. What I have to do is keep in mind event schedules balanced against kit release schedules (that's what nailed us this time).

I can't wait to see some of the pictures! Since I wasn't in attendance I am hoping to put together a photo album of other's pictures, so if you have some send them to me and i will put something together for our site.

jim
Old 03-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Administrator

NARCON photos are posted here. Sorry I missed running into some of you guys. Have to catch you next time.

http://www.cv41.org/personal/gallery/narcon06