Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Master Modeler

I tried Club sandwiches all the way across country. That and tamales. If I ran across a Mexican joint and I was hungry (that either sounds right—or not.), I'd go in. Often times (in the West) I was the only English speaker in the place. If they didn't have a tamale, I didn't consider it a real Mexican restaurant and would leave.

Clubs and tamales vary quite a bit from place to place. Oddly, I found the best Club and best tamale—both, in Oregon. The Club at a small bar in a small town (I can't remember the name off-hand) with a bear in a cage across the street. The tamale, at a Mexy joint in Eugene. It was wrapped in banana leaves instead of corn husks. Mmm. Tamales!

If anyone wants to keep abreast of the fast food world, here's your site: http://news.foodfacts.info/

It's pretty entertaining, aside from covering the latest menu items, snafus, compliments and complaints from the fast food world.

Here's a good one: http://news.foodfacts.info/2006/08/...es-for-you.html

I never liked onions, garlic or mushrooms till I had my first job out of school and got drunk and ordered a cheesesteak hoagie when I lived in Philly. They delivered the wrong order. What they brought was a cheesesteak with fried onion, mushrooms and peppers. I was hungry and ate it. I've liked those things ever since then.

Also, a lot of what I've learned to like was by being someone's dinner guest. Whatever they cook and serve, why, I'm going to eat it. It's worked well for me.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:09 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Garlic, Mushrooms (all except shiitake), and Peppers are all great.
Onions in any way, shape, or form are Hideous. My aversion to Onion is twofold: One, I can't stand the taste of the dammed things, cooked or raw, and Two, no matter what else is in the dish, if it has Onion, that's all I can taste...it overpowers everything else without exception for me.

If I know I don't like something, I don't eat it PERIOD. I don't care WHO made it, if it's going to be awful, I don't do it just to be a gracious guest. I may claim an allergy to the item though....
For example I will not under any circumstances eat my grandmother's Oyster dressing. The stuff sucks and it is not going in me. EVER.
I'm not one of those people that says they don't like something without trying it first either.
Without exception I will not eat or even try internal organs on principal alone...that's just plain nasty.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-27-2013, 02:21 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Speaking of food, does anyone ever watch Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory ?
The episode "Big Black's Dump Truck" was a total Riot. They built an LA Food Truck (AKA roach coach) to compete with all the other local trucks. The catch was the menu was designed to cause people that ate to take a massive "Deuce Drop", hence the name DUMP truck. Absolutely GREAT ! Not to mention disgusting ala 'jackass' style, which also has jeff tremaine as one of the producers.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Trade me a club or Italian sub for a reuben any you got a deal. A PB&J while edible is a kiddie snakk, not a meal.

My girlfriend only has one food she REALLY DESPISES and it's Rhubarb.
While I'm not what I would call a really 'picky' eater, there are several foods I absolutely detest, and I'm a bit of a 'foody/gourmet snob'.

Detested alleged foodstuffs : Onions, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage in any of the numerous forms including Sauerkraut, Kimchee, Glompki, GARbage rolls or any other form that is not spring Rolls or Cole Slaw, Asparagus, Corned Beef, Sea Cucumber, Sea Urchin, Limburger cheese, Liver or any other organs/entrails.

There are others I don't particularly care for, but the above listed I absolutely HATE and DETEST. If I could ban them for all just so I would not have to see or smell them ever again, I would.

I LOVE, Brussels Sprouts roasted!
Onions...I can't get enough of them but...they make me fart...that's a good thing!
Cole Slaw...great with fish and chips especially my wife's she makes it with toasted Ramen.

Aspagras...everybody I know fights over them when they are in season and we all closely guard our secret patch!

Corned beef is absolutely wonderful...never a problem with leftovers! Especially with boiled cabbage wedges, potatoes and carrots!

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy
I tried Club sandwiches all the way across country. That and tamales. If I ran across a Mexican joint and I was hungry (that either sounds right—or not.), I'd go in. Often times (in the West) I was the only English speaker in the place. If they didn't have a tamale, I didn't consider it a real Mexican restaurant and would leave.

Clubs and tamales vary quite a bit from place to place. Oddly, I found the best Club and best tamale—both, in Oregon. The Club at a small bar in a small town (I can't remember the name off-hand) with a bear in a cage across the street. The tamale, at a Mexy joint in Eugene. It was wrapped in banana leaves instead of corn husks. Mmm. Tamales!

If anyone wants to keep abreast of the fast food world, here's your site: http://news.foodfacts.info/

It's pretty entertaining, aside from covering the latest menu items, snafus, compliments and complaints from the fast food world.

Here's a good one: http://news.foodfacts.info/2006/08/...es-for-you.html

I never liked onions, garlic or mushrooms till I had my first job out of school and got drunk and ordered a cheesesteak hoagie when I lived in Philly. They delivered the wrong order. What they brought was a cheesesteak with fried onion, mushrooms and peppers. I was hungry and ate it. I've liked those things ever since then.

Also, a lot of what I've learned to like was by being someone's dinner guest. Whatever they cook and serve, why, I'm going to eat it. It's worked well for me.

Tamales are wonderful, and the best tamales I've ever had are from street vendors in Monterrey, N.L., Mexico. There's just something about them. I've tried to replicate them in my own kitchen but I can't even come close. I've even tried growing my own tomatillos to replicate the flavor.
No luck.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

My wife and I have gone to Puerto Vallarta three times and never once had a bad meal or bad service.

Nothing there like Taco Bell!

Although they do have "food vendors" on the beach and their idea of "fish sticks" is well...imagine something like a large sardine about 8" long, head on, tail on, with a stick jammed into it's mouth all the way to the tail, the other end of the stick in the sand holding the fish over hot charcoal.

No thank you!

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 03-28-2013, 12:45 AM
BAR

Quote:
It only takes me about 35-40mins to get to Frankenmuth from home. Best chicken dinners in the WORLD, bar NONE. Usually go there at least every other month.

Lucky dog... we even had a hot looking waitress the ONE TIME I've ever been there... (drove the wife, MIL, daughter, and niece up from north central Indiana one time a few years back... need to head up that way again some time...)

It IS d@mn good chicken!!! Worth the drive and every penny!

I'd KILL for good German food here in TX... Usually the best I can manage is the "Gerst Haus" in Nashville a time or two a year...

Later! OL JR
Old 03-28-2013, 12:47 AM
BAR

Quote:
More like 'without corned beef and sauerkraut' it could be a decent sandwich.
With either of those, it belongs in NO location other than a TRASH CAN, either alone or mixed into a PILE OF PEUKE caused by eating aforementioned mess.

What is "PEUKE"?? LOL

Later! OL JR

PS. Pass the sauerkraut...
Old 03-28-2013, 01:02 AM
BAR

Picked up the SIL at the airport in Houston last week and we ate at a big Chinese place on the north side of town not too far from the airport... had the usual buffet stuff and I got some sushi because they had some interesting looking ones... one was rice wrapped with seaweed with bits of crab on top-- tasty. The one with a shrimp on top of the rice ball was a bit tough, but okay... then there was a rice ball with a small strip of meat of some sort on top-- DELICIOUS!!! I went back and got two or three more... VERY good... BUT, I didn't think to look and see what KIND they were... just knew it was different from what we have at our local chinese joints and gave it a whirl and it was GOOD!

Today, I dropped off the SIL to fly back Indiana after her visit with us... went to the same chinese place for lunch afterwards... found out what the sushi was, and had several more of them-- EEL SUSHI!!! VERY VERY good! It was delicious!

Definitely gonna have to remember that one from now on...

Took a cruise back in 2000, back when the "fun ships" actually RAN instead of breaking down like Gilligan's Island or something... had several things that I would probably have never had otherwise, and was pleasantly surprised by two of them, at least...

First, at dinner one night I had Chilean Sea Bass... WITHOUT A DOUBT, it is THE best thing I have EVER eaten in my life, BAR NONE! Geez I'd eat that stuff three times a day for the rest of my life if I could... HIGHLY recommended!!!

Second, escargot... yep, French snails... hey, they were on the menu, food is free, and I said 'what the h3ll... when in rome, do as the romans do' and gave it a try-- surprisingly GOOD! Very tasty... reminiscent of mushrooms, but the texture is a little unique... sort of like a slightly overcooked shrimp... I liked them so much, I had them again twice last summer at EPCOT... not quite as good there as on the boat, but still good... I'd eat them again, and enjoy them!

Third, they had "duck ala orange" on the menu one night, and I figured "why not", and ordered it... OMG NASTIEST SH!T I've ever put in my mouth! I'd rank it worse than the cowsh!t that landed in my mouth one time from a fresh patty I hit with the go-kart riding like h3ll in the pasture... d@mn stuff is SO GREASY, you might as well sit down with a spoon and a tub of CRISCO and start chowing down... ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING.... Wouldn't hit a dog in the @ss with a plate of that stuff...

@GH... get you some Kohl Rabi... now them is good eatin!

Later! OL JR
Old 03-28-2013, 01:34 AM
BP Mafia

I'd have to pass on the sushi unless the gun being held at my head was still smoking from the previous person who passed on it. Sea bass has always been something recommended to me by fellow seafood lovers. I had the opportunity to try it once when my Grandma insisted on celebrating her birthday at a hot-shot local seafood place. Based on that' I'd never try it again under normal circumstances, but since we were several hundred miles inland I'd have to give it a second chance. I ordered escargot as an appetizer at a high end Italian place that Maria and I tried one year on our anniversary. It was served with Gorgonzola cheese and it was incredible. I could have made a meal out of that alone, but on that night I was fortunate not to need to. The rest of the meal was also great.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark