Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Well, I’m going to be putting several kits on ebay soon.

Mainly for a plain and simple reason that I guess “Lurker No-one” would not give a d*** about:

TO KEEP THE LIGHTS ON!

I have a credit card bill I need to pay off (or at least start paying down). I never previously allowed the credit card bill to build up, paid it off very month. But last Fall I had to use it to pay the rent and a few other bills, before I finally got the part-time job I have now.

But the job I have now is only paying for about 75%-80% of my monthly expenses, and I have cut spending to be bone. The next "luxury item” I buy might be a skillet.

I have not even bought a pack of rocket motors since last summer. My primary expense at rocket launches the last few months has been the gas to drive there, what little I’ve flown has been with motors I already had.

As of yesterday, having paid rent this week and minimum payment on the credit card, I had a whopping $153 in my bank account.

To help supplement my income, I plan to come out with a 1/110 scale space shuttle kit. But I can’t even afford to do it right now, since it’ll take a few hundred bucks to get the masters and molds ready, plus the raw supplies like tubes and balsa.

So, the kits I auction, if they help raise enough to pay more than the bills, will also help provide the seed money to finally get the shuttle kit off the ground.

Preview of some of the kits I plan to put in eBay:
Estes 1/100 Saturn-V from the late 1990’s. Unopened, mint.
Estes Maxi V-2 (from 1999), unopened, mint.

Centuri 1/100 Saturn-V (late 1970's), still shrinkwrapped, mint.

North Coast 1/72 Space Shuttle kit (early kit that had no pretty box, useful more for building than for collecting).
Mongram plastic 1/72 shuttle with ET and SRB’s, shrinkwrapped.

I’ll post a list elsewhere on this forum when I have them (and a few others) up on eBay.

I’m not going to let go of all my goodies, things are not that desperate (yet). And I hope to get over the hump so I won’t have to give up some kits I really would like to keep for many more years.

- George Gassaway

Last edited by georgegassaway : 03-06-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I would consider it an honor to attend that event. And I'd be proud to be in the crowd, and offer up that BIC lighter to get the torch roaring ...
How about a Wan Hu-style send-off? (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wan_Hu ) It could also double as a funeral pyre if the chair was first soaked in or coated with a suitable flame accelerant.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 03-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
Well, I’m going to be putting several kits on ebay soon.

Mainly for a plain and simple reason that I guess “Lurker No-one” would not give a d*** about:

TO KEEP THE LIGHTS ON!

-SNIP- (See Reply #31 above for the full text)

To help supplement my income, I plan to come out with a 1/110 scale space shuttle kit. But I can’t even afford to do it right now, since it’ll take a few hundred bucks to get the masters and molds ready, plus the raw supplies like tubes and balsa.

So, the kits I auction, if they help raise enough to pay more than the bills, will also help provide the seed money to finally get the shuttle kit off the ground.

-SNIP- (See Reply #31 above for the list of George's rocket kits that are for sale)
George, would it help if some of us (and perhaps also model rocket vendors) placed paid pre-orders for your upcoming 1/110 scale Space Shuttle kit? That could cover your tooling costs for it and then some.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 03-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
George, would it help if some of us (and perhaps also model rocket vendors) placed paid pre-orders for your upcoming 1/110 scale Space Shuttle kit? That could cover your tooling costs for it and then some.

Thanks for suggesting that I take pre-paid orders.

I do not want to take paid pre-orders in case for any reason the kit did not happen, and then I’d be stuck owing people money.

I think that selling old kits on eBay will help raise the $. And tonight Sandman has made me a gracious offer in trade that I may take him up on. I had already contacted him months ago about making the wood mold patterns I’ll need for doing the vac-formed ET & SRB parts (I have my own vac-form gear).

I plan to come out with the kit in limited production at first. So, this is why a huge chunk will be the initial start-up costs such as for the molds and such. I’ll buy enough “supplies” (tubes, rings, lugs, wood, etc) for about 14 kits, figuring 2 kits for final prototypes, 2 kits to send to a couple of people for fast feedback on construction and the instructions, and 10 kits to sell. I do know the first 10 kits will sell out fast.

What I get from selling those first 10 kits will pay for the initial costs to get the kit into production (like the molds and such), the supplies, and then more supplies to produce another run of 10-20 kits. So I might not make any $ off the first limited production run, but it will open the door to make money on every kit after that.

BTW - it’s going to be about a fun flying shuttle kit, to watch fly. It’s not going to be a detailed kit to look at close-up. More info here:

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=8053

- George Gassaway
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_7967.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  150.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_8431.JPG
Views: 72
Size:  64.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_8432.JPG
Views: 77
Size:  82.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_8433.JPG
Views: 67
Size:  32.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_8498.JPG
Views: 72
Size:  58.2 KB  

Last edited by georgegassaway : 03-06-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:45 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

I know how Gearoge feels - I've been in and out of work the lasy year myself, my savings is almost gone, and I keep treading water day to day .

Not much left for models or parts- have gotten some goodies bu selling off others - sort of 'trading places' with other hobby items or interests.

Have not gotten much response to any for sale posts here on YORF, so will be left with ebay on the remaining items.

still sorting, if I;m never going to rebuild and fly, then the birds might better move along - same with HPR stuff ( hardware,etc ) ... can not give up the hobby , just have to juggle enough to find a way

I dare say it is not about greed or and ulterior motives as has been suggested, but IS about the love of the hobby.

Pay Forward

~ AL
Old 03-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Not much left for models or parts- have gotten some goodies bu selling off others - sort of 'trading places' with other hobby items or interests.

Have not gotten much response to any for sale posts here on YORF, so will be left with ebay on the remaining items.

Were you ever able to find that model I PM'ed you about or had you already sold that one?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-07-2010, 04:44 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Scott,

sorry to say I think that one is gone

if I run into it in a box, you will be the first to know

figured some of the purists here would want the genuine vintage builtups, but no worries, they'll find nice homes

~ AL
Old 03-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
If it weren't for kids growing up on video games, would we ever have seen Mars rovers? --Chan Stevens

I'm struggling with this one. If we had politicians that understood that human interest in the space program means human involvement in the space program, we could have watched humans on big rovers, describing what Mars is like.

I think the Space Shuttle was a huge waste, taught us little, and we should have invested in manned exploration to the Moon again, and beyond. And this would not have had to be done at the exclusion of all the other great scientific achievements in agriculture, medicine, etc.

We are the good ol' USA, and we used to be able to achieve anything we set our minds to achieving.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-08-2010, 12:48 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Then you will live forever because I know you want to launch at least one rocket on a new B14-5 motor.
Yes, that's the plan.

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011