Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2014, 06:57 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Question Where to find Herb Desind's Cineroc Films?

Anybody know if Herb Desind's films are available anymore? I've heard about them and tried searching, but all the links seem to go nowhere.

Thanks!
Jim

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Ask Scott Branche (Rokitflite).
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
Anybody know if Herb Desind's films are available anymore? I've heard about them and tried searching, but all the links seem to go nowhere.

Thanks!
Jim
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 01-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Sent him an Email.

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Master Modeler

I honestly don't know. I ended up with many of his kits, but no films.

NAR #32070
Old 01-12-2014, 08:51 PM
Craftsman

Herb use to show a VHS tape of some of his Cineroc flights at the Pearl River Model Rocketry Conventions.

There were some cool shots as he would fly them anywhere he could. One if I remember right was either off the Mall Area of DC or off the steps of one of the federal building.

I wished I had a recording of one of his narrations.

This video is on the

NAR History DVD $5 from MARTS (disk 2)

https://blastzone.org/nar/narts/sto...d=9270081141341

Last edited by CaninoBD : 01-12-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Apollo Nut

I never knew Herb personally but like many others have heard numerous stories of the extent of his Cineroc efforts over the years. I cringe to think the library of his films may be lost to posterity.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970

Last edited by Earl : 01-12-2014 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Spellin'
Old 01-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaninoBD
Herb use to show a VHS tape of some of his Cineroc flights at the Pearl River Model Rocketry Conventions.

There were some cool shots as he would fly them anywhere he could. One if I remember right was either off the Mall Area of DC or off the steps of one of the federal building.

I wished I had a recording of one of his narrations.

This video is on the

NAR History DVD $5 from MARTS (disk 2)

https://blastzone.org/nar/narts/sto...d=9270081141341

Thanks CaninioBD!

Now I just need to get the scratch together for that.... I'm running on fumes right now. Two weeks before my next chance at getting some $$.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Old 01-13-2014, 12:28 AM
BAR

This would be a great project in historical preservation for anyone who knew him or his family and who'd be willing to perform the work, or at least organize it with folks who could and act as intermediary...

Hopefully his films still exist and are good enough condition to be transferred from 8mm film to DVD or digital files... before it's too late. It's only been in the last 15 years or so that we've really started to figure out just how much time can damage our various forms of media/data storage. NASA has reams of data in storage that was recorded in arcane formats or by obsolete programming languages or machinery that is no longer made, and in some cases cannot get the data transferred to a usable format. I know I read awhile back that they got ahold of some playback machines from a museum that were put in working order with a little graybeard tweaking and used that to download and transfer the data to a more modern format in a safer data storage medium. I read a website a few years ago when I started reading about the problem that listed the "expected lifetimes" of various forms of media, from print to tape to CD's to DVD's to digital, and including film... film didn't score particularly high IIRC, especially the "cheaper" film typically sold to consumers (as opposed to "professional" film. Particularly bad was videotape, which only has about a 10 year life expectancy IIRC... I converted my "home movies" to DVD several years ago, and some of the tapes were DEFINITELY dropping in quality... (NOW if I could just figure out how to get a DVD turned into a digital file format that my computer would recognize that I could upload to YouTube, I could share some vintage rocket flights and "special effects" from my teen years in the late 80's...) I had some old 8mm home movies I found when cleaning out my Grandmother's house after her passing that I sent off and had converted to DVD as well... Some of those were unusable as well, but that might have been camera problems as well...
Anybody remember seeing how bad the original prints of "Star Wars" were despite being stored in carefully controlled conditions "in the can" in special film libraries, which they only discovered when they pulled them out to do the "enhanced versions" years ago?? The film had deteriorated markedly, and they weren't even *that* old, comparatively speaking (in the can since '77). I remember seeing a documentary they did on the film restoration stuff, and how given the condition of the prints of "Star Wars" had deteriorated in less than 30 years, that there were probably TONS of old films that had literally dissolved in the cans as the celluloid slowly dissolves...

It breaks my heart at the end of Ken Burn's "The Civil War" when he talks about the thousands of glass-plate negative photographs that were taken of the war, mostly by press photographers and professional photographers of the time like Mathew Brady, who collectively took THOUSANDS of photographs, most of which were never published or printed, and who later sold the glass negatives to gardeners who used them for greenhouse glass panels-- allowing the sun to slowly bleach the images from the glass, losing them forever...

Thankfully Spacecraft Films and its proprietor Mark Wade (IIRC) is working hard to preserve and present historical NASA films from the various missions and historic flights of the space program, from all sorts of sources-- footage shot of tests and documentaries, launch camera footage, clips from various sources like photographers shooting the astronauts activities for press release, cameras strategically placed to produce engineering analysis footage inside the vehicles or test stands, footage from on board the vehicles, either from remote cameras or from handheld cameras operated by the astronauts themselves, historical broadcasts transmitted back to Earth and disseminated through the media, etc... TONS of good stuff... he sifts through massive amounts of scattered minutia and unusable or uninteresting materials to glean out the best, most relevant, and interesting or historical tidbits (though some are very arcane and would be trivial or boring to non-space buffs) and then has to convert them to a usable form, and carefully restore them to as close to original condition as possible, or enhanced to a more presentable or watchable type of material... He's doing a WONDERFUL service for the space buffs (by producing terrific video products that they can buy to get "inside looks" that they'd likely never see otherwise) and for NASA and the public, and most importantly, for the future, by preserving this material before its either buried in the past and "lost" or becomes unusable due to the ravages of age on the recording medium...

Anyway, it would really be a neat project and a wonderful legacy and tribute to Herb and his fascination with one of the most interesting model rocket products ever sold, and a great service to the rocketry community... I'd try to do it myself but I have neither the skills or talents or equipment (or time, really) and I certainly and sadly never met Herb and do not know his family, or whomever might have the films... For someone who DID know him, it would certainly give credibility and a sense of trust to the effort to borrow the films from his family (or whomever has them) and if this person doesn't have the relevant skills or equipment to do the transfers, I'm sure someone would gladly step forward who did...

Later and good luck! OL JR

PS... I suggested a few times to NAR that they should make CD-ROMs of the "Model Rocketeer" magazine as well as the "American Spacemodeling" mags and "Sport Rocketry"... I have a CD-ROM put out by "Farm Show" magazine, which is basically a "made it myself" type publication that's been in circulation since the 70's, but since they accept no advertising, they're bi-monthly and print the magazine on newsprint, which is a very low-grade, high acid paper that deteriorates VERY badly over time... They put every issue on CD-ROM a few years ago and I bought it, complete with a searchable index database on the same disk... it's a terrific tool. When the NAR started soliciting ideas for ways to make more money, I made the suggestion a few times, since I saw they had nothing like that offered and most of the "back issues" of the old magazines are long gone... and now would be the time to do it, before the existing issues out there in the hands of collectors deteriorate more with age, become more rare, and harder to get ahold of... At one point I even suggested it by email to a former recent NAR President who sent me a terse military style response asking if I was volunteering to do the project for them, to which I politely responded that I wish I could, but didn't have the relevant equipment or computer knowledge to be able to do a proper job of it... and received a rather terse reply to the effect that if I wasn't volunteering to do it I should basically STFU, more or less...

Glad to see someone finally picked up that ball and ran with it...

Later! OL JR
Old 01-13-2014, 09:15 AM
Rocketry is Fun.... Darn It !

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh

Thanks!
Jim

Greetings

I had Herb as a junior high school science teacher. I belonged to his school based rocket club for 4 years and not only seen hours and hours of Cineroc film but was actually present when some of it was filmed. We had some good times from roughly 1973 to 1977. I think of Herb occasionally and am saddened that we lost him way too soon. I do not know any of his family members or what become of his collection of cineroc film.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zog139
Greetings

I had Herb as a junior high school science teacher. I belonged to his school based rocket club for 4 years and not only seen hours and hours of Cineroc film but was actually present when some of it was filmed. We had some good times from roughly 1973 to 1977. I think of Herb occasionally and am saddened that we lost him way too soon. I do not know any of his family members or what become of his collection of cineroc film.

Hi zog139,

Thanks for responding.

What can you tell us about what you saw? I understand he mailed Cinerocs around the world for people to capture landmarks on rocket launched film. If that's true, which ones did you see?

Thanks!
Jim