Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default KNO3 /Gasoline oxidiser

Dear Guys,
My first post so be gentle

I'm actually a jet guy, not so much rocket, though am working on a project at the moment that requires me to re-think my compression ratio just a little, and thought most of you would have the experience and knowledge to answer a question for me.

I have in the past used other oxidizers like Nitrous oxide in small percentages with gasoline, though it does not mix well. I am curious from your R-candy work...

Is KNO3 miscible with gasoline?
Is combining these two reagents hypergolic?
I'm planning to try mixing a small quantity of KNO3 though am weary of any possible exothermic or other spontaneous reactions.
Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated. (And yes I'm am fully aware of the dangers of mixing oxidizers with fuels so please refrain from reminding me of that. I'm an expert at what I do, though I'm not a chemist.)

Thank you for your time gentlemen,
As always be safe.
Regards,
James Irvine.
http://irvineaeropulse.co.nr
Old 09-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Oddroc-eteer

I'm not even on the chart as a rcandy expert, however I've never heard of using gasoline with any hobby formulation (sugar or otherwise). AFAIK gasoline is not good to fool with in this regard in general. The question could be fielded better on the Sugpro list http://rocketeers.com/mailman/listinfo/sugpro Stay safe.
Co-moderator of the MicroMaxRockets, microhybrids, and OddRocs Yahoo groups
Volunteer compiler of product news for ROCKETS Magazine
Old 09-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Administrator

I think Goddard was the last to try and use gasoline for rocket fuel. rstaff3 is right. Your best resource is the sugpro group.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Rstaff3:
Thank you for your fast reply.

Perhaps I mislead you into assuming its for a rocket propellant, unfortunately this is untrue. Its actually to supply a special little jet engine for a very specific purpose.

Thank you for your help Rstaff3, and Eagle3, I will check out the information you gave me and in the future when I find if it is safe/unsafe, I will post my findings here.

Regards,
James Irvine.

P.s: Rocketry really looks like a whole lotta fun, will have to have a go at it sometime
Old 09-10-2008, 10:36 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Most likely gasoline mixed with any solid oxidizer as a "slurry" will just get you an explosion, not a controlled burn.
More than likely that is NOT (I hope not) what you are looking for.

Gasoline is best used for only two things:
1) As a fuel for internal combustion engines
2) As the base material for Napalm in military incendiaries

Anything else, in most instances, you are MUCH better off finding another organic solvent/chemical instead of the "witches brew" of mixed organics that comprises gasolines.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Hello,
Quote:
Anything else, in most instances, you are MUCH better off finding another organic solvent/chemical instead of the "witches brew" of mixed organics that comprises gasolines.

This is not entirely correct, many organic solvents are more likely to cause instant hypergolic reactions more so then ordinary gasoline. (Turpentine and Nitric acid are a prime example of this).

Quote:
More than likely that is NOT (I hope not) what you are looking for.

Please see first message I posted wrt (Do not remind me of the dangers)

I am a professional - who has used oxidizers in our fuel before - though need something different for a particular application. (Hence asking about KNO3) Small % of different additives can increase positive aspects of any fuels combustion (Such as flame speed, latent heat of vapourisation) etc, without making the fuel ignitable in a sealed (IE: No O2) environment. (See upper and lower stoichiometric flammability limits.)

I am actually quite good at what I do you know, though this "Oxidiser" deal if I'm just not sure I like to ask, if your not sure... don't patronize me for it. I came here looking for someone with possibly some experience with it, not to be treated like a fool.

Summing up all of what you said in a single line is.
"I don't know."
Is that Correct?

Thank you for your time,
Goodnight.
James Irvine.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Dazed and Confused

Nitromethane can be used as a straight fuel or as an oxidizing additive to other fuels. The R/C community uses anywhere from just a few percent on up to around 80% mixed with alcohol in their two cycle engines.

All of the R/C jet turbines that I know of burn kerosene (Jet A1) fuel. I've never heard of one burning gasoline. If yours must use gasoline, I'm not sure how nitro would behave with it, but if it can burn alcohol, you've got pre-mixed R/C airplane combustion engine fuel in various percentages that would be handy to try. Nitro can also be purchased at race shops, probably at or near 100%.

BTW, if you look at R/C fuel, some of it is mixed with castor oil and some is straight fuel so that people can add whatever type and percentage of lubricant oil they want. You probably wouldn't want the fuel with oil added.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Hello,

I am actually quite good at what I do you know, though this "Oxidiser" deal if I'm just not sure I like to ask, if your not sure... don't patronize me for it. I came here looking for someone with possibly some experience with it, not to be treated like a fool.

Summing up all of what you said in a single line is.
"I don't know."
Is that Correct?

Thank you for your time,
Goodnight.
James Irvine.

Hey, James,
Chill out, big guy! We're all here to try to help. Just because someone may have insulted your perceived intelligence really does not give you the right to be a 'fool' also. Though being a jerk could be considered to be a right in this country, it won't get you very far here. Go try 'The Rocketry Forum.' Some folks over there might get along great with you! Even geniuses need a little help once in a while; I know I always do!!!
Allen Madden
Allen
Oh, and my field is nuclear physics and pharmacy, by the way. You must work for Obama!
Or maybe you slept at a Holiday Inn?
Old 09-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Oddroc-eteer

Jimbo, after thinking about my previous response, Sugpro may not be the best source, although guys like Bill Colburn have worked professionally with a wide variety of rocket systems. You might also look at the aRocket and ChemRocket forums. The last links I have follow. http://www.arocketry.net/forum.html
http://www.chemroc.com/chemroc.html
Co-moderator of the MicroMaxRockets, microhybrids, and OddRocs Yahoo groups
Volunteer compiler of product news for ROCKETS Magazine
Old 09-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Dear Rstaff3,
Thank you for those links, I do appreciate the thought given and your willingness to help.

Dear Allen,
Quote:
Just because someone may have insulted your perceived intelligence really does not give you the right to be a 'fool' also.

True, maybe I over reacted, but for some reason whenever I ask a serious question on forums these days it seems extremely difficult to get a clear response without the "bomb" sillyness. Drives me completely insane, and doesn't do any of our communities (jet / rocket/ hybrid) any good in the eyes of the public.
Quote:
Though being a jerk could be considered to be a right in this country, it won't get you very far here.
Was not my intention, you need to understand how frustrating it gets asking for information that is not in my general line of work and immediately being labeled as a terrorist. My fuse is very short these days. (Excuse the rocket pun -Cmon that was kinda funny? )

Quote:
Oh, and my field is nuclear physics and pharmacy, by the way....

Good for you I'm sure it pays well.

Look I didn't want to start a spat for gods sake, just wanted a simple answer without the bull****, Hence on my first comment i specifically asked not to be reminded of the dangers of using oxidisers and fuels. (if it was even read.. then was it understood?)

When I find out for sure I'll post the info here, then we can discuss it like gentlemen.
Regards,
James Irvine.