Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2010, 10:39 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I can imagine a flight on the E9. We've launched Kody's on D12-3's for nice low, slow, lumbering flights. The max thrust for the E9 is about 10N less than a D12.
I waited for a calm club launch day (which took 7 months!), and put mine up on an E9 and E11, using a 4', 1/4" rod, and it flew real nice both times. The E9 was a cool slow flight, so the *calm* part was key.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 12-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Craftsman

I actually have two of these kits, that I have been torn between building and selling. I for one do not like the balsa wings and their construction. I feel that if the balsa was tighter grain or of better quality I would consider building.

I honestly wish ESTES would have design this kit to incorporate lite ply for all the wood. I don't see it as being much as a weight difference. I'm also not too fond of the fact that it comes with plastic center rings.

As far as the kit design/looks I think it is absolutely one of the coolest kits around.

If I was to build it I would probably skin all the balsa with copy paper or card stock or perhaps replace the all the balsa with lite ply.

I haven't read through all the post here, but will after I make this post. I know it's an older thread and maybe I can find some information that might encourage me to go ahead with the build.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyaugo
I actually have two of these kits, that I have been torn between building and selling. I for one do not like the balsa wings and their construction. I feel that if the balsa was tighter grain or of better quality I would consider building.

I honestly wish ESTES would have design this kit to incorporate lite ply for all the wood. I don't see it as being much as a weight difference. I'm also not too fond of the fact that it comes with plastic center rings.

As far as the kit design/looks I think it is absolutely one of the coolest kits around.

If I was to build it I would probably skin all the balsa with copy paper or card stock or perhaps replace the all the balsa with lite ply.

I haven't read through all the post here, but will after I make this post. I know it's an older thread and maybe I can find some information that might encourage me to go ahead with the build.

I would keep them both, you don't know if and when Estes would stop producing them.
Any decisions on the materials etc in my opinion probably has to due to cost factors.

You thank to think of kits being produced in the thousands and not indiviual kits.

Build one and post your photos here.
Happy building.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Craftsman

Yeah you are probably right. I might put them aside unless I get someone to buy them for $25 each? They are nice kits, but so many things could have been done to make them even better IMO. I know they have some new MPR kits coming out with better quality materials and parts. Just wish they would have looked at the Interceptor and realized what a GREAT looking kit it really is and spend some time researching the flight characteristics with different materials. At the time it came out or even maybe a year or so ago they were selling between $40-50 and for that price one would expect a true MPR kit with materials to match. It's disappointing to have to build a kit and make all kinds of modifications just to get it to fly the way it should/or strengthen the existing parts. Now the kits sell for under $30
Old 12-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyaugo
Yeah you are probably right. I might put them aside unless I get someone to buy them for $25 each? They are nice kits, but so many things could have been done to make them even better IMO. I know they have some new MPR kits coming out with better quality materials and parts. Just wish they would have looked at the Interceptor and realized what a GREAT looking kit it really is and spend some time researching the flight characteristics with different materials. At the time it came out or even maybe a year or so ago they were selling between $40-50 and for that price one would expect a true MPR kit with materials to match. It's disappointing to have to build a kit and make all kinds of modifications just to get it to fly the way it should/or strengthen the existing parts. Now the kits sell for under $30

IMO Estes tried it's hbest to replicate the 1250 in regards to the original, the 1350 was another story. Much bigger with other aspects to consider.

I worked on the instructions for the remade 1250 and started on the 1350 (which was a challenge) when I was "let go".

Specific items were discussed, but, not everything was addressed , unfortunately.

The rest is history.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
IMO Estes tried it's hbest to replicate the 1250 in regards to the original, the 1350 was another story. Much bigger with other aspects to consider.

I worked on the instructions for the remade 1250 and started on the 1350 (which was a challenge) when I was "let go".

Specific items were discussed, but, not everything was addressed , unfortunately.

The rest is history.

Doc IMO I think it's an awesome kit, but how can I say this...it just seems there are many areas that can be improved and I don't mind buying a kit and making some improvements, but the improvements on the Interceptor E is more than just a few...

It looks really really cool...something that would look great hanging from the garage ceiling after a day at the launches.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Master Modeler

Many "stock" can be improved by our tlaented members here and on other forum, which is very good. This is how I found out "issues" in other kits that i was wrting instruction for.

The more "debugging" the better IMO.

We as rocketeers think on a one on one build, companies look at it in the thousands as I have mentioned before.

Thanks for your imput, greatly appreciated.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
Many "stock" can be improved by our tlaented members here and on other forum, which is very good. This is how I found out "issues" in other kits that i was wrting instruction for.

The more "debugging" the better IMO.

We as rocketeers think on a one on one build, companies look at it in the thousands as I have mentioned before.

Thanks for your imput, greatly appreciated.

I agree whether it's scratch building or rebuilding/improving existing kits we are only limited by our imaginations