Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Master Modeler

Default Golden Scouts Now Available

The Golden Scout kits from Semroc are now availabe and will be shipped within 24 hours. These are limited edition,50th anniversary kits.

Once their gone, theeir gone, so, order your Golden scout and don't miss out.

During the month of July 2008, we ask that you laucnh your Golden Scout in celebration of Vern and Gleda Estes .

Please post photos of your completed Golden scout.

We would also like to see not only individual rocketeers participate, but, NAR sections , clubs and organizations as well.

Let's make this a memorable event for Vern and Gleda.
Thanks again!!
RD
Old 03-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Retired Missile Technician

As an early, often, and many, many, orders type supporter of SEMROCS I am very disappointed by the changes to the original plans for the Golden Scout. I have AT least two kits of every SEMROC kit with only a couple of exceptions. I can appreciate the needs to modify plans, but why so late?
It was 80 degrees here in Fort Worth/Dallas. The last couple of DARS launches have been canceled due to fire bans. As "spring" arrives down here, it isn't going to get much better.
I was excited by the launch at NARAM-50. I know they have issues about use of the field. But this new program is not as exciting. Anyone have data on the NAR's 50,000 flights for 50 years?
Perhaps I am jaded, as I met the Estes at NARAM-11. Vern and I served on the NAR Board of Trustees together. Vern and Gleda surprised me at NARAM-44 and we were at the the same banquet table at last year's NARAM. I will be at NARCON in a couple of weeks where they are the special guests.

I guess I will have to find away to salute Gleda and Vern Estes at NARCON and NARAM.

They are very fine folks.

Chas

Last edited by Chas Russell : 03-01-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:10 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
As an early, often, and many, many, orders type supporter of SEMROCS I am very disappointed by the changes to the original plans for the Golden Scout. I have AT least two kits of every SEMROC kit with only a couple of exceptions. I can appreciate the needs to modify plans, but why so late?
It was 80 degrees here in Fort Worth/Dallas. The last couple of DARS launches have been canceled due to fire bans. As "spring" arrives down here, it isn't going to get much better.
I was excited by the launch at NARAM-50. I know they have issues about use of the field. But this new program is not as exciting. Anyone have data on the NAR's 50,000 flights for 50 years?
Perhaps I am jaded, as I met the Estes at NARAM-11. Vern and I served on the NAR Board of Trustees together. Vern and Gleda surprised me at NARAM-44 and we were at the the same banquet table at last year's NARAM. I will be at NARCON in a couple of weeks where they are the special guests.

I guess I will have to find away to salute Gleda and Vern Estes at NARCON and NARAM.

They are very fine folks.

Chas

I'm with Chas on this one. It's starting to sound more and more like Estes corporate plans for the 50th.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 03-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Okay, I am "Chastiesed" on again. Carl called me and it was a desision by the NARAM -50 host sections not to have a mass launch. The Estes' are not happy, but I think that fighting regulations over five decades have been a learning experience.

So I will purchase a couple of Golden Scout kits and try to fly them. North Texas is a pain with burn bans, when my family in Central Ohio is still in snow. Its a Vern thing! Its a Gleda Ting. Its a Sheryl thing. Carl?

I am now in the mode to make it happen. Isn't the internet grand!/?

Chas
Old 03-01-2008, 09:30 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Okay, I am "Chastiesed" on again. Carl called me and it was a desision by the NARAM -50 host sections not to have a mass launch. The Estes' are not happy, but I think that fighting regulations over five decades have been a learning experience.

So I will purchase a couple of Golden Scout kits and try to fly them. North Texas is a pain with burn bans, when my family in Central Ohio is still in snow. Its a Vern thing! Its a Gleda Ting. Its a Sheryl thing. Carl?

I am now in the mode to make it happen. Isn't the internet grand!/?

Chas

I never figured this to be a Semroc problem. I think it's great how they're celebrating ESTES 50th. I hope I'm around when Semroc turns 50 to see what Estes has planned for that.
Decide not to have a mass launch. That's the end of my NARAM plans, shaky as they were.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 03-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I never figured this to be a Semroc problem. I think it's great how they're celebrating ESTES 50th.
Thanks, Bill!
Quote:
I hope I'm around when Semroc turns 50 to see what Estes has planned for that.
Hey, I want to see that too! (You do mean Vern and Gleda Estes, right?)
Quote:
Decide not to have a mass launch. That's the end of my NARAM plans, shaky as they were.
You don't want to miss NARAM! We still have something else planned just for attendees!
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 03-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I never figured this to be a Semroc problem. I think it's great how they're celebrating ESTES 50th. I hope I'm around when Semroc turns 50 to see what Estes has planned for that.

The whole purpose of the Sky Of Gold/Golden Scout event is to honor Vern and Gleda. This was in no way connected to Estes-Cox, there might have been some confusion. It was Vern and gleda who designed and developed the Scout, Gleda hand rolled the tubes.

Like Carl mentioned, we are planning something special for attendees of NARAM 50.

We worked on this right up until the announcement today. Like I mentioned previously, it had to be tweeked, and we thank all of our fellow rocketeers for your support in this event.

WE encourage all rocketeers, NAR sections, clubs to participate in honoring Vern and Gleda.

Vern and Gleda are very excited with the Sky Of Gold event as we are. Carl,Sheryl,Bruce and the Rocket Doctor has worked veery hard to put this entire program together.

Yes, it had to be changed slightly, but, the current offering let's us all lparticipate. And, like mentioned previously, certificate of participation will be sent, signed by Vern and Gleda.

These Golden Scout kits are limited productions kits, historic and, once gone, that's it.
Once again, we all Thank You for being part of the Sky Of Gold event to honor Vern and Gleda for their 50 years.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:

2 cents start-

I understand and respect your point of view. I think it's actually better this way because so many more people will be able to participate in this great event.

I am probably going to attend NARAM this year (my first) for part of the time, and I was worried that the launch would be held either before I got there or after I left. Even if my Golden Scout was launched I might not have even seen it, or gotten it (the one I built) back.

Now I don't have to worry about it. I can enjoy whatever part of NARAM I can get to and still take part in this event by launching with my son on the 4th of July. We do it up pretty big around here on the 4th so this will be a great addition to the events. Plus we get to launch and retreive our rockets which means we get our own Golden Scouts back which can then be displayed with their own certificates.

2 cents end-
Old 03-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2047
2 cents start-

I understand and respect your point of view. I think it's actually better this way because so many more people will be able to participate in this great event.

I am probably going to attend NARAM this year (my first) for part of the time, and I was worried that the launch would be held either before I got there or after I left. Even if my Golden Scout was launched I might not have even seen it, or gotten it (the one I built) back.

Now I don't have to worry about it. I can enjoy whatever part of NARAM I can get to and still take part in this event by launching with my son on the 4th of July. We do it up pretty big around here on the 4th so this will be a great addition to the events. Plus we get to launch and retreive our rockets which means we get our own Golden Scouts back which can then be displayed with their own certificates.

2 cents end-

:lol: That's really about a quarters' worth! But I agree whole heartedly! July 12th looks like the day mine will take to the sky..I will put some feelers out on the clubs website and see if there are any takers to doing our little 'Sky of Gold' in Orangeburg! Will refer them to these 2 threads on YORF for more info...
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 03-02-2008, 01:04 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

I gotta tell ya, I'm actually glad there's no mass launch, and that the point is now sharing the original experience of thousands of kids back in the early 60's when they got that tube in the mail, built the Scout, and took it out in their back yards to fly their first model rocket.