Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Default kevlar fasteners

Posit the following:
1) You have not built or launched a rocket since 1977
2) You and your son are building Jr.'s first rocket;
3) Your Mom stops buy and says "Oh, I'll be right back!" and hurries out;
4) She returns a little later with a box of 30-year-old rockets you thought were long destroyed and hands them to you;
5) Inside you find Arcas, Aerobee, Nike-Smoke, Starfire, a pair of Alpha's and a partially assembled Sandhawk all in relatively good external condition;
6) Further inspection reveals parachutes melted solid and elastic rotted from 30 years of 120 degree attic storage;

So the question is: If I'm going to be born again, I understand I need to replace the rotted shock cords with Kevlar and cotton elastic. So how do I attached the kevlar to the side of the rocket (Sandhawk being the only one I can get to the engine mount on)?

Does somebody make such a retro-fit as a package?

And if not, why not?

Suggestions?
Old 03-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I have gone to all Kevlar shock cords and I've mounted it 2 way's. I have used epoxy and glued it where it wouldn't interfear with the nose cone. I smoothed the epoxy with a little alcohol and I hadn't had a problem with it. The other way to mount it would be when your building it to tie it around the motor tube and up thru the centering ring, it should be a couple of times longer than the rocket so when the ejection charge goes off it lets the nose cone clear everything.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Thanks,

What form does your shock cord mount take?

Is it fiberglass material with the kevlar woven through then epoxied?

Should i look for some kevlar material to make the mount out of?

Sorry for so many questions.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Yet another obsessed rocketeer

Mark,
Having done the same thing with my old kits, if you are using a thicker kevlar, you can make a mount similar to the tri-fold estes type, and it should work perfectly. The kevlar is just acting like a high tech kite thread. You'll find that the more you use it, you'll love it. BUT BEWARE- if you make the entire shock cord out of kevlar, you need to pay careful attention to your ejection delays not being too early, or you may experience a "zipper" effect, or a slice through the body tube. This happens because of the kevlars' strength and thin diameter combined with high speed ejection. But its benefits outweigh its problems for sure.

Ryan Leach
NAR# 87642
SAM #216
SoJARS NAR Section 593
Aerospace Education Officer
X-15 FANATIC
Old 03-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhemi1971
Mark,
Having done the same thing with my old kits, if you are using a thicker kevlar, you can make a mount similar to the tri-fold estes type, and it should work perfectly. The kevlar is just acting like a high tech kite thread. You'll find that the more you use it, you'll love it. BUT BEWARE- if you make the entire shock cord out of kevlar, you need to pay careful attention to your ejection delays not being too early, or you may experience a "zipper" effect, or a slice through the body tube. This happens because of the kevlars' strength and thin diameter combined with high speed ejection. But its benefits outweigh its problems for sure.

Mark,

Ryan tells it perfectly. Of course, too late an ejection will result in a zipper also. Just wrap some tape around the cord where it would encounter the end of the body tube to help give it a little more diameter so it doesn't cut like a knife. Then again, you could just go with the thicker cotton-elastic installed the same way you would install the old style shock cord, that is, using the tri-fold method. I've only used the kevlar in kits that I am building and can wrap arond the motor mount. Otherwise, it's either 1/8 or 1/4 inch wide elastic (1/2" for the larger birds).

Great that your mom kept those rockets all those years. Good luck with the retofits.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Yet another obsessed rocketeer

That reminded me, What I like to use instead of tape is a piece of heat shrink placed on the kevlar, BUT my little secret is to take cotton off a q-tip or cotton ball and stuff it in the heat shrink first, creating a little pillow thats not too bulky, but will keep those zippers from happening. Yeah it may be a little extreme, but I have yet to have a zippered tube!

Ryan Leach
NAR# 87642
SAM #216
SoJARS NAR Section 593
Aerospace Education Officer
X-15 FANATIC
Old 03-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Posit the following:
(snip list)
Where's item 7 - shed tears of joy? <vbg>

As for the shock cord issue, here's my two cents worth: http://home.flash.net/~samily/MR-shock-cord/ (Actually, that's more like a buck two ninety eight's worth )

In your case, since you're retrofitting, you have limited options. In anchoring the kevlar in the rocket, you likely won't have the nylon ribbon described in the link, but if you use the tape wraps, that should help resist most zipper loads.

HTH.

Doug

Old 03-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

I don't bother with Kevlar on refurbishments. I just do the old folded mount with standard elastic... and I use plenty of it.

On the other hand, I use Kevlar with almost every rocket I build, scratch or kit.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 03-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

If you don't want to mount it directly to the body tube, try attaching it via a baffle. Semroc and Fliskits both sell high quality baffles. Another advantage of a baffle, besides a sturdy attachment point, is that you won't need wadding for future flights.
NAR #87993
Old 03-02-2008, 07:51 AM
Surfrajettes Fan

Tears of joy indeed.

Thanks for all the suggestions and information. There's going to be a lot of catching up to do. I'm going to get the Arcas and Sandhawk flying first and we'll see what happens . . . .

Again, Thanks.