Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2007, 03:17 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Angle fins or not?

Hey, I am new to rocketry.
I have already made a couple of small kit rockets and have started to create my own designs. I am currently working on a 2 stage rocket. I would like to know, is it best to angle the rockets fins so that it spins when flying? In all the videos of high powered rockets I have seen, there is no noticable angle on the fins. Does anyone have any scientific answers. Thankyou

Flinky
Old 09-13-2007, 04:06 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinky
Hey, I am new to rocketry.
I have already made a couple of small kit rockets and have started to create my own designs. I am currently working on a 2 stage rocket. I would like to know, is it best to angle the rockets fins so that it spins when flying? In all the videos of high powered rockets I have seen, there is no noticable angle on the fins. Does anyone have any scientific answers. Thankyou

Flinky

Estes had a rocket named the Cork Screw, one of the fins was angled to produce a spinning action. This made a visual effect from the engine exhaust at powered flight.

Spinning rockets produce drag that effects altitude.
Real rockets have "gimbled" engines that turn the nozzles to keep the rocket straight.

Your fins should be straight.

If you read the thread about the plastic fin alignment guide, this should help you out.

Going way back there was a metal fin alignment guide called the "fin kwik" which held the fins in place until the glue dried. The fins were straight.

Also, take into consideration on balsa fins and transistions, you need to apply sanding sealer or primer, usually several coats and sanding inbetween each coat for a smooth surface before you apply a top coat of paint.

And rememberm the more paint you apply, the heavier the rocket and the less altitude you will achieve.

I hope this has shed some light on your rocket building.