Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Master Modeler

Default Smithsonian Model Rocket Collection

As I mentioned previously, I contacted the Sithsonian Air & Space Museum inquiring about their model rocket collection and Bob Craddock.

Today I received an email directed to me. and here is what the email has to say.

Mike Neufield , the chair of our Department of Space History ,asked me to respond to your inquiry.

From my recollection, we have approximately 150 - 200 model rockets in the National Collection. As you know,almost all of those were donated by G. Harry Stine during the early 1970's. While we do have plans to make a model rocket display at our Dulles facility , we currently don't have the funding to do that. Thus, we do not have a dedicated display on model rocketry.

I had received support from the Smithsonian's Lemelson to document the history of model rocketry.Their support allowed me to conduct a number of interviews with some of the most notable model rocket pioneers. It wasa lot of fun and all of them are very nice and interesting people. While I did write and submit a book proposal about the history of model rocketry , I haven't had any interest from publishers. Also, what little money had left over from the Lemelson support was taken away from me a few years ago due to budgetary shortfalls. Eventually, I would like to come back to the model rocketry book , but I have a number of other funded projects to finish first.

Thanks for your interests.

Bob Craddock

So, this is the story on the collection and model rocket display and book as of today 10/9/07
Old 10-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Wile E. Coyote super genius

Are they looking for donated model rockets? I think we could all come up with a few.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

How much money will it take to get a model rocket display at the Smithsonian?

I think this is something the NAR should investigate.

Bob
Old 10-10-2007, 05:31 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
How much money will it take to get a model rocket display at the Smithsonian?

I think this is something the NAR should investigate.

Bob

The first thing that we should do is look into a publisher for his book.

And the second would be to find out how mich money would it take to get a display up and running.

In my opinion, ALL, the model rocket manufactures should kick in and get this project going, they would benefit from it.

And, I think my original ideas is better, have a total museum (not part of another museum) located at space camp in Huntsville, where, so many kids that are interested in space can be exposed to the hobby, but, once again, it's going to take money.

At least now we know the story from the source.

What's your opinions?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:13 AM
Knuckle Draggin' Engineer

Any good modroc museum display ought to also include the infamous rocket eating tree complete with several rockets hanging from it in various stages of decay......

Joe W
Old 10-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
As I mentioned previously, I contacted the Sithsonian Air & Space Museum inquiring about their model rocket collection and Bob Craddock.

Today I received an email directed to me. and here is what the email has to say.

Mike Neufield , the chair of our Department of Space History ,asked me to respond to your inquiry.

From my recollection, we have approximately 150 - 200 model rockets in the National Collection. As you know,almost all of those were donated by G. Harry Stine during the early 1970's. While we do have plans to make a model rocket display at our Dulles facility , we currently don't have the funding to do that. Thus, we do not have a dedicated display on model rocketry.

I had received support from the Smithsonian's Lemelson to document the history of model rocketry.Their support allowed me to conduct a number of interviews with some of the most notable model rocket pioneers. It wasa lot of fun and all of them are very nice and interesting people. While I did write and submit a book proposal about the history of model rocketry , I haven't had any interest from publishers. Also, what little money had left over from the Lemelson support was taken away from me a few years ago due to budgetary shortfalls. Eventually, I would like to come back to the model rocketry book , but I have a number of other funded projects to finish first.

Thanks for your interests.

Bob Craddock

So, this is the story on the collection and model rocket display and book as of today 10/9/07

Wow, Lee and Vern donated a lot of kits and papers to Craddock ... I wonder if those were sold when he said he sold off his collection or if he is still holding onto them? I guess only time will tell...

Robert
Old 10-10-2007, 11:30 AM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
Wow, Lee and Vern donated a lot of kits and papers to Craddock ... I wonder if those were sold when he said he sold off his collection or if he is still holding onto them? I guess only time will tell...
Robert

Were the kits donated to Mr. Craddock or to the Smithsonian?

As for a museum, for better or worse, the Smithsonian is pretty much the nation's "keeper of the historical record" when it comes to Air and Space. It would be nice to see them display, and continue to collect, historically significant model rocketry artifacts.

But part of the problem is that the Smithsonian currently seems reluctant do do either. I recently tried to donate something I thought they might be interested in and was informed that before they even considered it they wanted me to know that they do not have funds to pay for shipping items to them and that anything donated would probably be put in storage for a long time since they have way more items than they can display.

I agree it would be nice to have the NAR spearhead an effort to: A. convince the Smithsonian of why they should be collecting historically significant model rocketry artifacts B. encourage the Smithsonian to display those artifacts C. Offer to serve as an agent to help raise funds for a display D. Offer to provide expert advice in the creation of an appropriate display.

As an NAR member, I would be happy to help in this effort.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:39 AM
7/21/61

Quote:

While I'd certainly be interested in reading Mr. Craddock's book, there are others doing a wonderful job of gathering and making available model rocket history, without the benefit of foundation support.

I would love to see a book by Terry Dean.

Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe, Ninfinger, JimZ, EMRR, and Dale Windsor all come to mind as folks also making significant contributions.

My thanks to all.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
While I'd certainly be interested in reading Mr. Craddock's book, there are others doing a wonderful job of gathering and making available model rocket history, without the benefit of foundation support.

I would love to see a book by Terry Dean.

Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe, Ninfinger, JimZ, EMRR, and Dale Windsor all come to mind as folks also making significant contributions.

My thanks to all.

I have contacted Mr ceaddock again to find out what kind of funding it would take to get a display going. I will post the reply.

As far as the book goes, if he has it done and is looking for a publisher, that is much better than starting from scratch.

I spoke to Vern, and he has the first three chapters done, I would like to see Vern and Lee and Bill Simon and Bill Stine get there heads together and come up with "The History of Model Rockets", too bag something like this couldn't be done before NARAM 50.

The answer to my email to the Smithsonian is verbatum, this was their reply, what can I say ???
Old 10-10-2007, 12:39 PM
B.A.R.

Quote:

And the second would be to find out how mich money would it take to get a display up and running.

In my opinion, ALL, the model rocket manufactures should kick in and get this project going, they would benefit from it.

And, I think my original ideas is better, have a total museum (not part of another museum) located at space camp in Huntsville, where, so many kids that are interested in space can be exposed to the hobby, but, once again, it's going to take money.

At least now we know the story from the source.

What's your opinions?

I agree with this logic! Makes perfect sense and the most do able.