Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Master Blaster

Default Astron or Not to astron

Harold, the last two hobby shops that have been in operation here in the Fort Lauderdale area
have changed hands, Warrick Hobbies ( opened in 1976) is now corporate owned, the new name is Monster Hobbies. RC hobbies ( opened in 1985) is now Tri County Hobbies.
another hobby shop Discount Train, closed its doors after over 30 years.

Harold I used to supply maintenance for Mobil and Hess Oil, I would travel the State North to South Coast to Coast. I would buy all that funds allowed . Now it's good to see that some of the stores are still there let alone that they have anything left.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Miller
Harold, the last two hobby shops that have been in operation here in the Fort Lauderdale area
have changed hands, Warrick Hobbies ( opened in 1976) is now corporate owned, the new name is Monster Hobbies. RC hobbies ( opened in 1985) is now Tri County Hobbies.
another hobby shop Discount Train, closed its doors after over 30 years.

Harold I used to supply maintenance for Mobil and Hess Oil, I would travel the State North to South Coast to Coast. I would buy all that funds allowed . Now it's good to see that some of the stores are still there let alone that they have anything left.

WAS still there. Like I said it closed after Charlie (05?). There is only one LHS in Ft. Myers now (Paradise Hobbies) and they are mostly RC. They do have a small rocketry space but it only has recent Estes kits. They do offer a nice selection of motors for those that are willing to pay retail for motors. But their special orders are reliable so I do use them for some things.

Sadly, it seems the days for discovery are gone, at lest here.

I hate rules.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Master Blaster

Default To ASTRON /ESTES where and When

Well Harold, Here We go: According to Gerry Fortin's Web Site, the Kit I have (Pic #1) Is
a Green Skill Level Hang Tag Version II, Because it has the Added wording on the front and back of the hang tag. Front; Recommended for ages 10 to adult, Back : A Rewarding Hobby
for Ages 10 to Adult. this added wording dates this kit to 1975-1977,
inside of the kit was a piece of paper with the Model Rocketry Safety Code on one side and a illustration of the Maxi Alpha at lift-off. being that the Maxi Alpha was not offered for sale
before 1977 this would mean that this kit was produced in 1977 . in 1978 Estes added.
the French / Canada labeling to the Header Card so this kit was made before 1978.
This kit was supplied with the ESTES AEROSPACE LINES Decal set.
So I would Say that after 1977 The Decals Read ESTES. According to GHRocketman,
he had Kits with Green Header Cards Supplied with ASTRON AEROSPACE Decals,
his kits must of have been from 1974-1976 era. I would like to know if GHRocketman's kits
had the Version I or II Green Hang Tags.

Pic # 1: ORBITAL TRANSPORT KIT with GREEN Skill Level II Hang Tag.
Pic # 2: Green Hang Tag Showing Added Wording
Pic # 3: Paper Work that came with kit Note: the Catalog request with the Star Ship NOVA is
not form this kit this would be from the black Hang Tag Version Circa 1981 and later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0187.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  773.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0189.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  726.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0190.JPG
Views: 42
Size:  855.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0191.JPG
Views: 47
Size:  819.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0192.JPG
Views: 43
Size:  721.3 KB  
Old 04-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Thanks Neal. That is great information. My mind was actually looking more toward 75, but at my age, being within 2 years is close enough.

I have never been very interested in this sort of detail until I started talking with this guy I met. He is heavily into rocketry (mostly Estes) history and it has been fascinating and fun to remember back. I appreciate your help.

I hate rules.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:38 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I do not know what version of green hang-tag my kits had. I always saved the header cards, but always cut the tags off & threw 'em out.
If I had to guess at the production date it was definitely between 1974 and 1976 as the person I would buy from had a huge garage-full of kits that were all procured prior to 1978.

He was the father of someone I went to school with, and I never could get a straight story as to where all the kits came from.
Literally had shelves upon shelves of Centuri LJII, Saturn V, and S1B kits as well as Estes 1/70 K29 S1B and 1/100 K-36 Saturn V's. in that garage along with shelves containing boxes of hundreds of other kits. The basement of the house contained thousands of motors and kits as well. The collection literally would have taken more than a semi-trailer to move.
Never did buy any of his 1/45 Centuri LJII or 1/70 Estes Saturn 1B kits but wish I did. Even back then he was asking premium pricing as they were becoming very scarce in the early 80's. I did see one of the 1/45 LJII's of his fly on a 29mm Enerjet Conversion kit. Think it flew on a F52-5, but it may have been an E24-4.

The same guy with a couple of buddies would bring multiple launch racks to the high school field and have a public rocket launch at least 3-4 times a summer. He would always have a van-load of kits and motors to sell. I bought kits/motors from him all through the late 80's and maybe early 90's....I think it was around 1990 or 1991 his son called to tell me my source for cheap rocketry kits had ended as his dad sold off the whole collection to one buyer for well into the $ 5-figure realm. Was still able to get motors for about 25 cents on the dollar for a few more years.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !

Last edited by ghrocketman : 04-15-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I do not know what version of green hang-tag my kits had. I always saved the header cards, but always cut the tags off & threw 'em out.
If I had to guess at the production date it was definitely between 1974 and 1976 as the person I would buy from had a huge garage-full of kits that were all procured prior to 1978.

He was the father of someone I went to school with, and I never could get a straight story as to where all the kits came from.
Literally had shelves upon shelves of Centuri LJII, Saturn V, and S1B kits as well as Estes 1/70 K29 S1B and 1/100 K-36 Saturn V's. in that garage along with shelves containing boxes of hundreds of other kits. The basement of the house contained thousands of motors and kits as well. The collection literally would have taken more than a semi-trailer to move.
Never did buy any of his 1/45 Centuri LJII or 1/70 Estes Saturn 1B kits but wish I did. Even back then he was asking premium pricing as they were becoming very scarce in the early 80's. I did see one of the 1/45 LJII's of his fly on a 29mm Enerjet Conversion kit. Think it flew on a F52-5, but it may have been an E24-4.

The same guy with a couple of buddies would bring multiple launch racks to the high school field and have a public rocket launch at least 3-4 times a summer. He would always have a van-load of kits and motors to sell. I bought kits/motors from him all through the late 80's and maybe early 90's....I think it was around 1990 or 1991 his son called to tell me my source for cheap rocketry kits had ended as his dad sold off the whole collection to one buyer for well into the $ 5-figure realm. Was still able to get motors for about 25 cents on the dollar for a few more years.

Hi, may I ask what part of Michigan you lived in back then? I wonder if this big sale was the supply of the kits Commonwealth Displays had as inventory. I bought a butt load of kits from Commonwealth back in the late 1980's. and into the 90's. Commonwealth used to sell Centuri motors for $ 1.00 a pack, I still have 20 or so packs left but sorry I burned most all of the B14's.
I used to live in Warren Michigan, my first Model Rocket came from a hobby shop in the
Universal City Mall, on 12 mile road, I have been racking my mind trying to recall the name
of that store. A friend of mine say's it was something like Hobby City or Hobby World.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:05 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I live in the same area I have all my life; the Fenton/Linden area.
I work in Warren, but the kit collection the person I knew had nothing to do with Commonwealth; it was located between Holly and Fenton off Hickory Ridge Rd.
I drive by the Universal mall every day on my way to work. One can guess the ONE location worthwhile to work at in Warren that I would drive 120mi round-trip to each day.
The only decent hobby shop in the Warren area is "Prop Shop Hobbies" but they are much heavier into R/C than rocketry.
The person that had the collection was Harry Neuman and my understanding is that he has been out of the hobby at least 20+ years.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Master Modeler

Wow Harold, I'm so proud of you for actually engaging in a discussion and a darned good one too! I like the Shakespeare touch. Now, will you be building this rocket?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I live in the same area I have all my life; the Fenton/Linden area.
I work in Warren, but the kit collection the person I knew had nothing to do with Commonwealth; it was located between Holly and Fenton off Hickory Ridge Rd.
I drive by the Universal mall every day on my way to work. One can guess the ONE location worthwhile to work at in Warren that I would drive 120mi round-trip to each day.
The only decent hobby shop in the Warren area is "Prop Shop Hobbies" but they are much heavier into R/C than rocketry.
The person that had the collection was Harry Neuman and my understanding is that he has been out of the hobby at least 20+ years.

Hi GH, if I had to guess; of the probable places to work in Warren Michigan, I would say the Tech. Center or Hydramatic, The Tank Plant would be another good guess.
When I was a Kid my Dad would take me to McDonald's on Van Dyke, across from the Tank Plant. We would sit in the car and eat and watch the Tanks lap the test track.

Last edited by Neal Miller : 04-19-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Corection
Old 04-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Wow Harold, I'm so proud of you for actually engaging in a discussion and a darned good one too! I like the Shakespeare touch. Now, will you be building this rocket?

I engage in many disussions, and they are all good. Why would I say something that was not good. Pay attention and you might actually learn something. On occasion, I can get very deep. Only problem is, when I do it over at TRF, no one gets it...

BTW, this discussion is about a rocket that I built way back when, so no, I will not be building it again. How's the syrup flowing?

I hate rules.