Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Nike Vet

OK, I'm building the sustainer and have questions. It states "install one of the screw eyes into tail cone." Where at in the tail cone? Into the inside wall near the booster end or the other end? After that is done, I assume go ahead and cement the tail cone to the BT-70. When installing the nose cone, it states "make these parts from scrap basswood". What parts? When installing the parachute, is it attached to the nose cone center along with attaching the Kelvar line to the center? Remember, I'm new to this building rockets of this type....I need some "hand holding"!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Nike Vet

OK, if I could only read! I've answered my own questions!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Considering this is your first high skill level kit you are doing very well.

The parts refered to are the elevon and antenna on the sustainer fins. The patterns for them are on the large pattern sheet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  sustainer elevon hinges.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  44.0 KB  

http://sandmandecals.com/

Last edited by sandman : 07-13-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:47 PM
Nike Vet

OK, thanks for the clarification! Yes, I want to do this kit right and so far I' m pleased with the results. It looks like the sustainer is much less "complex" and I should be able to assemble without a hitch. I just need to read the instructions carefully! This rocket, when completed should be an eye catcher. I've never worked with basswood before. Any gotcha's when working with this wood? Thanks
Old 07-13-2007, 11:58 PM

The only "gotcha" with basswood is when it comes time to seal and paint.

Basswood can warp easily but as long as it's glued securely to the model before any coating it should be fine. Basswood paints real nice. It has a finer grain than balsa and is real easy to fill.

So far you not to many builds yet. I'd like to see a review for EMRR.

hint, hint!

Old 07-14-2007, 12:21 AM
Nike Vet

My plan is to prime with Kilz gray and finish coat with Rust-Oleum white enamel which is what I've used on the booster. I've sanded the basswood fins with #600 and sanded then filled any dings in the sustainer. I plan to use Elmer's white to attach fins. When attaching the eye screws do I need to pre-drill so as not to split the balsa when attaching the screws? Sorry, more basic questions.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:24 AM
Master Modeler

You shouldn't need to pre-drill for attaching the screw..Going in balsa I would think that the screw needs to be firmly attached, so it(the screw) should make it's own hole so it(the hole) conforms to the threads..That's the way I have always done it..Screw in the screw, unscrew it, drop a couple drops of glue or CA in the hole and re-insert the screw..Nice firmly attached screw then
The only time you would have to worry about the balsa splitting would be if it is the cheap junk, or has really wide grain..And I am SURE Gordon wouldn't ship shoddy balsa with his kits.
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 07-14-2007, 08:32 AM

That's pretty much how to do it.

I use Elmer's white glue for everything so what I do is screw in the eye (about halfway between the hole and the body) remove the screw, squeeze a nice healthy gob of Elmer's in the hole, screw the eye back in, then finally put a small gob of glue over the base of the eye sort of overlaping it, just to make sure.

Smear a heavy glue layer on the inside of the transition (hand sand most of the balsa "hair" off first) and the inside hole of the tailcone to protect it from the ejection charges.

Be sure to mask the base of the tailcone where it will glue into the transition so when you attach it you get a really strong glue joint.

You don't want those four ejection charges to "stage" the sustainer on you.

There is a lot of balsa to balsa surface area there so that joint should be stronger than the wood .

These are all great questions. This will help others get a handle on the construction.

So thanks for asking.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Nike Vet

Progress of assembling the sustainer. The rear section to BT70 joint is filled with a balsa filler. The balsa has been sanded with #600 including the joint. I sanded the length of BT where the fins joins it and used Elmer's white. I let these dry at least overnight. Actually, after the initial glue used to attach the fins after setting up about an hour, I ran a bead of Elmer's the length both side of each fin. I've just added another bead.

A question: I let the initial Elmer's attaching the fin let dry until tacky, then apply fin to BT. When running the 1st bead down each side of the fin root, I did not run my finger along pushing the Emler's into the joint but let in "settle" in. After drying overnight, I ran a second bead then ran my finger along the fresh bead "pushing" the Elmer's into the joint. What process should I use or is this OK?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC01155.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  110.6 KB  
Old 07-15-2007, 01:31 PM

That technique is just fine. If there was a problem with the glue "settling in" you wpuld have seen bubbles.

You didn't so you are just fine.

I'm real anxious to see this completed!