Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2011, 01:02 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

My guess is that this is the last we have heard of this "kit"
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Apollo Nut

Default Sold On Ebay

This kit was relisted on eBay about a week ago by the same seller. Item sold last night for I believe $355.
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-24-2011, 01:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
This kit was relisted on eBay about a week ago by the same seller. Item sold last night for I believe $355.

Earl,

Was a good price for the seller ... a VERY good price!

Prices lately on ebay have been hitting new highs ... its forced me to spend my money on other sites for other items

I know that Frank has more Enerjet kits, so keep an eye out for them.

Jonathan
Old 05-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
I know that Frank has more Enerjet kits, so keep an eye out for them.

Jonathan

Yes, he has a box full of them. An Athena, bagged, is in the bunch. I think he will eventually put those up for auction as well.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 05-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yes, he has a box full of them. An Athena, bagged, is in the bunch. I think he will eventually put those up for auction as well.

Earl

Earl,

I have noticed many hard core model rocketeers selling off their 'nice' items. I wonder if this is a sign of the bad economy, people and nearing of the end of their life-cycles, or they just see greater value in the $$$ and not the kits?

I know of hard core model rocketeers who are battling various stages of cancer ... I just wonder if they are parting with the kits now and making sure they goto good homes? They could donate to their local musuems.

J
Old 05-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Earl,

I have noticed many hard core model rocketeers selling off their 'nice' items. I wonder if this is a sign of the bad economy, people and nearing of the end of their life-cycles, or they just see greater value in the $$$ and not the kits?

In addition to the possibilities you mention, they:
1. Could be running out of space.
2. Transitioning to other hobbies.
3. Their wives could be fed up and laying down the gauntlet, "It's me or these #@$% rockets!"
Old 05-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
In addition to the possibilities you mention, they:
1. Could be running out of space.
2. Transitioning to other hobbies.
3. Their wives could be fed up and laying down the gauntlet, "It's me or these #@$% rockets!"

TB,

Well if #3 happened, I would tell her that I love her, but she is just gonna have to go

But I do need to get my house in order for both our sakes.

J
Old 05-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Earl,

I know of hard core model rocketeers who are battling various stages of cancer ... I just wonder if they are parting with the kits now and making sure they goto good homes? They could donate to their local musuems.

J

I suspect it could be any or all the possibilities mentioned. I hope it is not for any of the more negative reasons.

I guess one thing all of us in our general age group (40's through 50's) need to think about to some degree is that as more of the 'golden age' collectors pass away, there is probably not going to be quite the same market for the various collector kits that most of us treasure so highly simply because younger rocketeers just aren't going to have the same fond feelings about Centuri 1/45th Little Joe II's, Estes vintage Tridents, etc.

It will be interesting to see what the values of those kits, Enerjets, etc. will be like in 15-20 years. I think they will always have some 'elevated' value, but just how much may be a bit disappointing some years down the road.

Many of us do not collect for future monetary return, so it may all be an academic thought exercise. But, I suspect many of the current values may fall at some point in the future.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 05-25-2011, 11:57 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I think the kits that are truly rare will continue to go up even after the "golden agers" are no longer in the hobby or have sold off their collections. The kits that now have inflated values not due to rarity, but due to some sort of "neat" factor will drop rapidly in value once the "non rocketry" collectors take over "collecting" the kits....many kits now trade on ebay FAR and AWAY above their realistic objective value on ebay due to "excitement" factor among some hobbyists with mega buxx $$$ burning holes in their pockets.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-27-2011, 02:20 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I think the kits that are truly rare will continue to go up even after the "golden agers" are no longer in the hobby or have sold off their collections. The kits that now have inflated values not due to rarity, but due to some sort of "neat" factor will drop rapidly in value once the "non rocketry" collectors take over "collecting" the kits....many kits now trade on ebay FAR and AWAY above their realistic objective value on ebay due to "excitement" factor among some hobbyists with mega buxx $$$ burning holes in their pockets.

It will also depend on whether the kit has been rereleased or if another manufacturer offers a reproduction or if the kit is easy to clone. Young turks will be willing to buy something affordable to build and enjoy and do not have the nostalgic feelings toward the original the "golden agers" do.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...