Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2016, 12:40 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Doug,

Thanks for the wright-up looks great from what had time to read. Would you happen to know the body tube size? I measure 52mm with my calipers. Is there BT- size for this? I like to have spare parts around, but haven't found a body tube that's this size.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-27-2016, 01:30 PM
spirit of 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by popadoc
Doug,

Thanks for the wright-up looks great from what had time to read. Would you happen to know the body tube size? I measure 52mm with my calipers. Is there BT- size for this? I like to have spare parts around, but haven't found a body tube that's this size.

Thanks,
Mike

That body tube originated with the Centuri Engineering kit. They called it the ST-20 and it can be had at a few of our fine vendors like eRockets.biz.

[IMG][/IMG]

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/no...a/69cenp54.html

Last edited by samb : 07-27-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:57 PM
Dazed and Confused

A C6-3 is barely adequate. However, if you can resist the urge to fly it in anything but dead calm surface winds and fly it on a 3/16" rod, preferably 3.5 to 4 ft long and pointing straight up, you will have decently vertical flights.

I don't know if they are still doing it, but the 1/8" rods coming fairly recently from Estes were 32" instead of 36". Subtract the 2-4" taken up by mounting the rod and holding the model off the deflector and you have very little rod left. At the very, very minimum this kit needs a full 36" long 3/16" rod.

24mm is a good mod for the kit.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:57 PM
spirit of 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I missed that. Dangit. If all you need is a couple of different rings, come by the house - I'm sure I have a good stash of them already the right size

Doug

Ok, you're on. I'm sure your template will match the current kit. They didn't change the body tube dimensions.

Last edited by samb : 07-27-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:50 PM
spirit of 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by samb
Thanks Doug ! I'll try the template on the cardboard rings in the currently available kit tonight.

And the template matches the kit rings perfectly. Use it with confidence to make a 24mm hole.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-27-2016, 06:52 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks Samb for the Centuri body tube chart.

I sure miss the days when things were made like this, even though I didn't live in those days!!
Old 07-27-2016, 07:53 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I discovered in my stash of parts a bunch of ST-20 to LT-115 (29mm) centering rings that were extra when I built a couple Enerjet Aero Dart clones about 9 years ago.
My new 1921 Mercury Redstone kit will be getting a 29mm mount !
It probably will never fly on 29mm power, but I have a bunch of Semroc 29 to 24mm adapters that fit Estes 24mm C, D, and E engines; this will allow me to fly it on a 29mm Estes F15-6 and E16-6 in large fields as well.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-28-2016, 11:57 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I just measured an Estes 12" chute. It's about 13" at it's widest span and about 11 1/4" at it's narrowest. Therefore neither is correct, but narrowest (flat to flat) is about 1/4" more accurate. YMMV on other sizes.
FWIW, I took these numbers and calculated the area of a hexagonal chute. (BTW, Tim's numbers gibe well: for a chute 13" at the widest, the narrowest dimension should be 11.258, very close to the measured value.

The area of that chute (starting with the 13" number) is just under 110 square inches. The area of a round 12" chute would be about 113 square inches, very close to the actual area. So I'm wondering if the stated 12" dimension is a sort of "circular equivalent diameter".

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 07-28-2016, 09:27 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
FWIW, I took these numbers and calculated the area of a hexagonal chute. (BTW, Tim's numbers gibe well: for a chute 13" at the widest, the narrowest dimension should be 11.258, very close to the measured value.

The area of that chute (starting with the 13" number) is just under 110 square inches. The area of a round 12" chute would be about 113 square inches, very close to the actual area. So I'm wondering if the stated 12" dimension is a sort of "circular equivalent diameter".

Doug

That's as good an answer for the odd measurements as any.