Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Apollo Nut

Default Enerjet Nike-Ram (Boxed) on Ebay

Ok folks, looks like another gem to bid on.....torn shinkwrap and the lister states that the original bottle of glue has been replaced with a duplicate. Still, a nice item not seen too often.

I'll estimate $350 - $400 final bid on this one (possibly more).

Listing here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Centuri-En...=item2eb41719f8

(Not my listing nor do I know the lister)

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 PM
Master Modeler

Mine cost me about $10 . . . back in 1972!

It didn't come in a fancy box with the components tacked down. As I recall, the parts were packed in a Centuri shipping box. The one with the neat winged rocket logo.

And I don't remember glue!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
(Not my listing nor do I know the lister)

I recognize the seller name, and at one time knew who it was. I've been out of the loop on eBay for so long that I've forgotten.

Anyhow, that is a reputable seller and has dealt in high-end OOP rocket stuff in the past.

(period of time passes) Actually, now that I sit here thinking about it I'm almost positive it is Mark Mayfield. (Launch Magazine)
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-23-2011, 09:11 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

That may go for considerably lower than 350-400 as it is not pristine, and usually from what I have seen, the only Enerjet "kit" that goes lower than a Nike-Ram is the Pterodactyl.
I think somewhere around $275-300 is more likely.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
That may go for considerably lower than 350-400 as it is not pristine, and usually from what I have seen, the only Enerjet "kit" that goes lower than a Nike-Ram is the Pterodactyl.
I think somewhere around $275-300 is more likely.

Yeah, it's really hard to make a guess at some of these, depending on just how bad one or two particular bidders might want a given item. I've been a bit surprised lately at how low some things have gone and how high some others have gone.

I got a Centuri Defender kit last week off eBay that was opened and not perfect (but was complete) and I figured it would go at least $100. Got it for $36. I paid quite a bit more (almost 10x) for an 'early packaging' Defender that was in unopened mint condition (that was NOT off ebay).

We might all be surprised and see it go in the $225 range or less. In general however it does seem to be a buyer's market here lately. Might be a chance to get a 'builder' Nike-Ram kit in this deal.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 03-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

I have one of those.

Yeah, the shrinkwrap is torn on mine, also, but the glue bottle is original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Nike-Ram Open Box.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  38.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Enerjet Nike Ram 01 and Box 002.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  283.5 KB  
Old 03-23-2011, 02:11 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The price is WAAAAYYYY over what I'd call a "builder" at $182 and change.
If I wanted to build one, I'd just get the parts from Semroc for under $20.
Out of all the Enerjet kits, this one was the only one that I found to be totally boring.
Launch it on a 29mm ANYTHING and it is long gone unless flying in a HUGE field.
The Nike-Ram on a 80 n-sec original Enerjet F67 is ridiculous

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The price is WAAAAYYYY over what I'd call a "builder" at $182 and change.
If I wanted to build one, I'd just get the parts from Semroc for under $20.
Out of all the Enerjet kits, this one was the only one that I found to be totally boring.
Launch it on a 29mm ANYTHING and it is long gone unless flying in a HUGE field.
The Nike-Ram on a 80 n-sec original Enerjet F67 is ridiculous

Well, it's a personal choice as to what is considered too valuable to build or fly. My particular approach has been to collect two of each vintage kit I'm looking for (primarily Centuri and Enerjet kits). Once I have the 'second' copy of each kit, I take the one in the 'least best' condition (generally, that means the 'open' one or the one that might have a damaged piece or two) and that is the one that I will build AND fly. I don't fully consider it to be a 'done' model rocket till it has made at least one flight (again, a 'personal' view).

In the build que right now that meet the above criteria are such kits as the Centuri 1/45th Little Joe II, the 1/100 Saturn 1b, the T-Bird, Centurion, Mach 10, MMX-774, Vector V, Vulcan, Defender, IRIS, Flutter By, Taurus, SST, etc. (these are some of the ones that I never had when I was kid, but always wanted).

I have built clones (I have a Nike-Ram clone right now just about ready for primer), but there is nothing quite like (again, to me) building a vintage kit out of the bag. I know that is not the same choice others would make, but that's been my approach.

I kinda got back into the 'collect and build' mode here in the past year or so since my mother, who has long been my dependant, developed dementia along with her many other physical disabilities, and my build time is after work in the eves while I sit with her (her dementia issues are such that she can't be left unsupervised).

So, the vintage builds are a way to 're-experience' the full authentic build enjoyment of an old kit and to remember some better days gone by.

BTW, I do love re-issue kits, particularly Semroc's offerings, and I have bought a number of their kits and parts the past 4-5 years. Great quality that can't hardly be beat anywhere. But, if I can build a vintage kit instead, that's the avenue I try to take.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 03-24-2011, 06:55 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I recognize the seller name, and at one time knew who it was. I've been out of the loop on eBay for so long that I've forgotten.

Anyhow, that is a reputable seller and has dealt in high-end OOP rocket stuff in the past.

(period of time passes) Actually, now that I sit here thinking about it I'm almost positive it is Mark Mayfield. (Launch Magazine)

Yes indeed, that is Mark Mayfield. As a matter of fact I sold him that replacement bottle of glue several years ago.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:57 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Well, it's a personal choice as to what is considered too valuable to build or fly. My particular approach has been to collect two of each vintage kit I'm looking for (primarily Centuri and Enerjet kits). Once I have the 'second' copy of each kit, I take the one in the 'least best' condition (generally, that means the 'open' one or the one that might have a damaged piece or two) and that is the one that I will build AND fly. I don't fully consider it to be a 'done' model rocket till it has made at least one flight (again, a 'personal' view).

In the build que right now that meet the above criteria are such kits as the Centuri 1/45th Little Joe II, the 1/100 Saturn 1b, the T-Bird, Centurion, Mach 10, MMX-774, Vector V, Vulcan, Defender, IRIS, Flutter By, Taurus, SST, etc. (these are some of the ones that I never had when I was kid, but always wanted).

I have built clones (I have a Nike-Ram clone right now just about ready for primer), but there is nothing quite like (again, to me) building a vintage kit out of the bag. I know that is not the same choice others would make, but that's been my approach.

I kinda got back into the 'collect and build' mode here in the past year or so since my mother, who has long been my dependant, developed dementia along with her many other physical disabilities, and my build time is after work in the eves while I sit with her (her dementia issues are such that she can't be left unsupervised).

So, the vintage builds are a way to 're-experience' the full authentic build enjoyment of an old kit and to remember some better days gone by.

BTW, I do love re-issue kits, particularly Semroc's offerings, and I have bought a number of their kits and parts the past 4-5 years. Great quality that can't hardly be beat anywhere. But, if I can build a vintage kit instead, that's the avenue I try to take.

Earl

God Bless You Earl