Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > RockSim Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2018, 04:59 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Estes Star Orbiter Rocksim

Does anyone have a Rocksim Design File for the Estes Pro Series II Star Orbiter? Many thanks!

Rocketron
Old 06-22-2018, 12:24 PM
Craftsman

I have a RockSim simulation for the Ester Star Orbiter that I am working on (see screen shot attached), however I need details that are only available from the instructions. Does anyone have a set of instructions that they can post or direct me to so I can get the details that are required? The Estes Customer Service Instructions archive does not have the Star Orbiter #9716. It would also be nice to know the thickness of the fins. I created the simulation file from the picture of the parts on the Estes website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Est Star Orbiter Sim.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  164.1 KB  
Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055
Old 06-22-2018, 01:37 PM
Master Modeler

Fins are 1/8 inch balsa.

What info in the instructions are you looking for? I've built three of these so far.....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-22-2018, 08:52 PM
Craftsman

Thanks! I figured the fins would be 1/8" balsa wood. I don't have the kit so I don't have the instructions. For a scale modeler, this kit begs to be converted to an IQSY Tomahawk.

To generate an accurately detailed RockSim and/or OpenRocket simulation file I need:
1) the positions of the 3 centering rings on the motor tube measured from one of the ends of the motor tube,
2) the distance the 2 launch lugs are from the base of the rockets main body tube,
3) the distance the motor tube protrudes from the main body tube,
4) the length and thickness of the elastic shock cord.

That is why I am asking for a scan of the instructions, the more detail I get the better the file I can post here and at RocketReviews.com

If you have the time, a balance and loop of string you might also provide the weight of the stock built kit and its center of gravity (from the tip of the nosecone) fully loaded without a motor installed. This would allow me to post a very accurate simulation file. The accuracy of the simulation would then depend on the time one takes to put in all the ambient variables from the launch site.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:56 PM
Master Modeler

I found one set of instructions.

1) The centering rings are 1/2 inch, 4 1/2 inches and 7 1/2 inches from the aft end of the motor tube (which, itself is just a little longer....I'd have to get into another kit to say how long). This assembly is installed with the rear ring essentially flush with the aft end of the main body (3).

2) The launch lugs' aft ends are flush with the aft end of the body and 12 inches forward of it.

4) The shock cord is standard Estes 1/4 inch flat rubber. The length is not called out on the instructions. My most flown model has four feet of the stuff.

It is not entirely stock but weighs 5.90 ounces and balances approximately 25.5 inches from the tip of the nose cone. The non-stock features include the top five inches converted to a payload section with a coupler, a 1/8 inch ply disk and a screw eye using the kit coupler, a UMRS BT-60 baffle acting as the main coupler and about four feet of 100 lb. test Kevlar going from a tri-fold mount just above the baffle to the lower end of the white rubber shock cord. Three is also eight flights' worth of ejection charge residue in that number. My note on the outside of the model says it weighed 5.77 ounces when first completed.

This model turned in flights averaging just over 1600 feet over seven flights on Estes F15-8s while carrying a Jolly Logic Chute Release and an AltimeterThree while being flown at NSL last year in Alamogordo, NM. (I was working on, and achieved the Sierra Blanca Challenge at that NSL. The eighth flight was to 497 feet on a D12-5 in an Estes 29/24mm plastic motor adapter.

The fins, by the way, are TTW between the aft two centering rings, but the tabs are not that entire 4 inch span.

I may get a chance to scan the instructions tomorrow.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-23-2018, 07:20 AM
Craftsman

Based on the data provided by BEC, I have attached the completed RockSim file.
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Estes Pro Series II Star Orbiter.rkt (52.4 KB, 86 views)