Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Colorado Based OTH BAR

Default Rare Centuri Space 1999 Eagle

Hi all,

Recently finished this rare find and launched it at the C.R.A.S.H (Colorado Rocketry Association of Space Hobbyists) bye-monthly event over Labor Day weekend. All went well as you can see since it's in one piece. The booster comes down on the original checkered 12" and the Eagle comes down horizontally under the original 20" chute. Manufacturer Recommends a C6-3. The booster is mostly scratch as the tube and fins were missing in the kit. That is a story in itself how I was able to figure our the fin dimensions and body tube length. I ended up using the tube that came in the Quest X-30 as a protector part for those of you recall that kit. I could not get an Estes tube to match its I.D. and luckily that one did. The decals were yellowed and unusable. I scanned and cleaned them up on Photoshop. They turned out pretty well. This little kit was missing some other parts and was just started from what looks like 30 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Eagle Top.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  76.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Eagle Bottom.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  70.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Vertical Eagle.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  138.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Eagle Stack.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  136.5 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: tif Eagle Decal Restored.tif (775.3 KB, 51 views)
C.R.A.S.H. - NAR Section #482
SAM Member #0153

"I said Lunch, not Launch!"

- Far Out Space Nuts

Last edited by Kidagain : 11-07-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Craftsman

DUDE! That was one sweet flight! And the horizontal landing looked just like the TV show special effects! Great to see a rare old kit in the air, especially for the Fortysomething crowd. After a flight like that all you can do is party like its 1999! If I would have known of this kit back in the day I would have had one, but here in Colorado we were 100% in Estesland. Now all I can do is to save up big bucks for one on Ebay. Maybe at the next launch you can try a little more power to top the last flight, and a nice life size cut out of Barbra Bain would also add a nice touch. Oh - a spinning spot landing in a pile of Talcum powder just like on the opening sequence to the show would be AWESOME!

Last edited by Daddyisabar : 09-08-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Colorado Based OTH BAR

I might consider a D10-3, but man those things get really hot and tend to cook smaller tubes (bubble the paint) from the inside out and I won't even mention the ejections, wholly cow... Now If I only had the comlock walkie talkies again!

Maybe a 18mm Aerotech in the future as well, we shall see.

Thanks,
SAM Member #0153

- Far Out Space Nuts
Old 09-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Master Modeler

Default Paper Eagle

For those of you who REALLY want to fly a Space 1999 Eagle, there are several paper sites, from easy to difficult to build, that could be made to fly just like the Centuri model only a lot lighter.

Here is one.

http://www.eagletransporter.com/for...ead.php?t=98902
Old 09-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidagain
Hi all,

Recently finished this rare find and launched it at the C.R.A.S.H (Colorado Rocketry Association of Space Hobbyists) bye-monthly event over Labor Day weekend. All went well as you can see since it's in one piece. The booster comes down on the original checkered 12" and the Eagle comes down horizontally under the original 20" chute. Manufacturer Recommends a C6-3. The booster is mostly scratch as the tube and fins were missing in the kit. That is a story in itself how I was able to figure our the fin dimensions and body tube length. I ended up using the tube that came in the Quest X-30 as a protector part for those of you recall that kit. I could not get an Estes tube to match its I.D. and luckily that one did. The decals were yellowed and unusable. I scanned and cleaned them up on Photoshop. They turned out pretty well. This little kit was missing some other parts and was just started from what looks like 30 years ago.

Nice! Would love to see the flight photos. Good to see a ROCKET MAN - launching a rare kit and not turn it into a ... a ... queen!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
Old 09-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Colorado Based OTH BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Nice! Would love to see the flight photos. Good to see a ROCKET MAN - launching a rare kit and not turn it into a ... a ... queen!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Thanks Randy. I put my money where my mouth is. I know the Presidient of the Club took a photo when it was on the pad. I am not sure if any of the remaining few who saw it grabbed a camera @ launch. I think we were all into the moment a bit.

I have many vintage kits thanks to Ebay. I do pay attention what kits a going for through:

http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/BAR/home.htm

I also build clones and light them up. I currently am building in parallel several original kits. As for your site, I love the Saturn V's. I have one for a winter build I am upgrading for a 29MM with David Sirius parts etc... BTW, Love those Vipers to mate! I have two of them for Apollo and Starbuck to build as well . I could go on and on with my 15+ builds ahead of me this coming winter. I will post them as they come off the assembly line. Busy busy!!
SAM Member #0153

- Far Out Space Nuts
Old 09-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidagain
Thanks Randy. I put my money where my mouth is. I have many vintage kits thanks for Ebay. I do pay attention what kits a going for through:

http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/BAR/home.htm

I also build clones and light them up. I currently am building in parallel several original kits. As for your site, I love all the Saturn V's. I have one for a winter build I a upgrading for a 29MM with David Sirius parts. BTW, Love those Vipers to mate! I have two of them for Apollo and Starbuck to build as well. I could go on and on with my 15+ builds ahead of me this coming winter. I will post them as they come off the assembly line. Busy busy!!

Sounds great! Can't wait to see them! Be sure to post the photos. Cloning is a good way to go too.

We've got a closet full of vinatge kits too, for grandkids when they get old enough and even if we're gone their moms and dads will pass them on to them but at some point in the future they will all be built and flown.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com