Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2018, 05:57 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Quest Q Jets

Lots of envy here, no Q Jets yet in Canada, not even sure if they will be authorized for import and sale, still waiting for the F67's

Garth Illerbrun
NAR 26894 L2
Old 12-02-2018, 07:10 PM
Craftsman

Has anyone flown the C12 or D16 yet? How well do they perform? I'm debating whether to order some.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:12 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I'd like to hear some field reports about the Quest C and D as well.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 12-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I flew a C12 in a BT-55 “generic” rocket (scratch-built) and it was a great performer. I had asked Gary Rosenfield if I could try out one of the new Q-jet C motors at NARAM. He offered me a C or a D to try, but I thought a D in this rocket might be too much motor. I had my Mars Lander there, but it flew on 18mm D13 reloads. I did not want to use it for testing a Q-Jet.

This rocket had a plastic fin unit with twist-on retainer cap (little tabs thru slots). I wondered if I’d have melting of the cap since the motor was slightly recessed. Not a bit of damage.

I previously bought several packs of B Q-Jets at NSL in May just to try them, mostly because of the novelty of using a composite. I’m more interested in the C12 and D16 because of their ability to better handle 18mm rockets that are marginal on an Estes C6.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  10B5747F-1733-4C50-94DC-415A3BB04F7A.jpeg
Views: 42
Size:  1,012.5 KB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 12-02-2018, 09:59 PM
Craftsman

LeeR, thanks for the info. I too am mainly interested in using these in heavier rockets with 18mm motors, especially the Geo Sat LV and Space Shuttle stack.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:02 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I'm thinking the D should be great in the Mars Lander, 1284 Space Shuttle, Outlander, Centuri Space Shuttle, and Centuri Super Kits.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 12-02-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I'm thinking the D should be great in the Mars Lander, 1284 Space Shuttle, Outlander, Centuri Space Shuttle, and Centuri Super Kits.

I think so, too. I’d rather not try my Mars Lander on one until I try 1-2 of them in an expendable rocket. I modified my Outlander to 24mm, but I have a couple more and will build them stock now that I have options like the 18/20 RMS, and now the Q-Jets.

The first B4-6s I bought were more like -8, and I crunched a rocket due to the late deploy. The B4-4s I bought were spot on. I believe others reported this, and maybe the problem is gone. The C12-6 I flew at NARAM was also spot-on for delay. I also had no issues with fit in motor tube. My early B4 motors required the label to be peeled off.

By the way, Belleville has the Q-Jets discounted 40%, but their shipping starts at $14.99 (I entered an order for under $50). I increased the order to over $50, and the shipping was $23.99! I did not push it over a $100 to see if free shipping might be offered, like AC Supply. I decided to hold off buying from them for now.

UPDATE: Increasing my order to over $100 raised the shipping to $31.99! I’ll keep looking for a deal ...

Last edited by LeeR : 12-02-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:14 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

An 18mm D works great in the Estes 1284 Shuttle Stack - a C6 simply isn't enough to reliable get the Shuttle to a safe recovery altitude.
After a couple close calls flying my Shuttle on a C6, I used an 18mm Aerotech D13 RMS - night and day. With the D it flew arrow straight, to well over twice the altitude I'd gotten with the C6. Never flew my Space Shuttle again on a C.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:19 AM
Master Modeler

I have flown four C12-6s and one D16-8 so far.

First of all - no fit issues as with the first Q-Jet As and Bs. I am still waiting to see new-production As and Bs that have that problem solved.

Some of you know I like to fly altimeters and some also know that one of my favorite models is the Nova Payloader. As such, I have LOTS of flight data on Nova Payloaders. A Nova Payloader with an AltimeterOne/Two/Three in the payload section on an Estes C6-5 is typically a 700 foot flight, give or take 50 feet, here in the Seattle area. On October 19th I was at Sixty Acres Park mainly to do the maiden flight on my Dynasoar Rocketry Battlecruiser RC rocket glider (which was quite successful). While I was there, since I had just gotten come Q-Jet Cs and Ds, and since it was such a lovely day (mid 60s and almost calm), in addition to the first three flights on the Battlecruiser I put a Nova Payloader built from the 2018 release up three times - on a Q-Jet C12-6, on an Estes C6-5 and on a Q-Jet D16-8. These flights took place within the span of 1/2 an hour on the same day.

Attached are screen shots of the graphs from the AltimeterThree app for those three flights. You can see the results.

It was a good day or the Estes C6-5 was an especially good one as it got the model to 757 feet (second attachment). But the Q-Jet C12 took it to 927 feet (!) (first attachment). The Q-Jet D16 took it only a little higher - to 1055 feet (third attachment).

The D16 flight really got up and moved, however. The acceleration of that progressive thrust curve was quite apparent watching the model fly.

Some further comments.

First of all, the other two flights I’ve got on C12s back up this one - these Cs, with a certified total impulse of 9.8 N-s significantly outperform Estes C6s with their certified 8.82 N-s. This is in stark contrast to the Q-Jet As and Bs, both of which certified total impulses well above their Estes counterparts, but which don’t really peform noticeably better with respect to altitude.

The D16, while it is fun to watch, is really a “baby D” (certified at 12.4 N-s), and at least the in the model I’ve tried one in the faster speed gives higher drag and so some of that extra impulse is eaten up by drag. That said, I have some more with 4-second delays on the way and will try them in heavier models including some with 24mm motor mounts that I would fly on a C11-3, to see if they are viable replacements for the recently discontinued C11s when flying them in the Estes 24/18mm adapters.

By the way, the bend in the descent side of the C12 flight curve (first attachment) simply shows an Estes plastic parachute that was a little reluctant to open on that first flight of the model that day. It’s also worth noting that - at least for these two individual motors - the C12-6 and the D12-8 both had delays closer to 7s than their rated times. As usual, the Estes C6-5 delay was short.

On other quick but not so rigorous comparison: On November 12th I flew my Citation Patriot on a Q-Jet C12-6 to 445 feet but that delay was way too long (7.95s!) and the ejection charge didn’t get the ‘chute out. Thanks to Sixty Acres being a soft grass field (and damp that day) the model was undamaged. The same model last flew before that on July 4th on an Estes C6-5 to 362 feet (much warmer day).

Finally - I love how you can see the shape of the motor time-thrust curves in the acceleration graphs from AltimeterThree. The last two attachments are zoom-ups on the acceleration curves for the same C12 and D16 flights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  C5956FCA-81F1-40B1-9CA9-85E616BE076D.png
Views: 38
Size:  516.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  9EF5836B-6713-4488-8F0C-6AAA93346653.png
Views: 31
Size:  511.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  8B02559F-1D8C-4CAC-9E3D-5E85E0BD2D11.png
Views: 30
Size:  516.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  473BB507-8D94-4FE7-865B-E06BFB8D0F82.png
Views: 35
Size:  402.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  16C62CCC-1D23-4BB3-87A6-B854CE8332D3.png
Views: 33
Size:  440.1 KB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 12-03-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:03 AM

Impressive analysis, Bernard!

I have not done any direct comparisons like you did, comparing performance of Estes vs. Q-Jet. I’ve flown a couple Q-Jet B4s and one C12, but had no real solid feeling on performance relative to Estes motors. I’m anxious to try the D16s in a couple heavier 18mm rockets.