Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2006, 04:08 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
It kind of looks like a Shrox design channeled by Werner von Braun.

Cheers,

--Jay

Oh yeah! Rocketry with Uncle Werner. It was on channel 9 after Captain Kangaroo.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 04-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Old School Rocketeer

"Rocketry with Uncle Werner"?

****! All our stupid UHF station gave us was Gary Gnu and "The Great Space Coaster".

Later,
EV
Old 04-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
"Rocketry with Uncle Werner"?

****! All our stupid UHF station gave us was Gary Gnu and "The Great Space Coaster".
This inspires me to want to rant. In the wake of discovering that we lagged behind the Russians in space, much emphasis was placed on science education, and much money was spent to make it happen. As a result, my grade school was wired with a cable and TV's were placed in every classroom.

The "cable" went to a large antenna which could only pick up two stations: the PBS affiliate in Louisville, and the local Kentucky Educational Television network (KET) affiliate in my home town, which pretty much broadcasted the same exact programming as PBS, at the same exact time

Anyway, as is so often the case, when our society is catalyzed to do something, by dangoes, we do it, but while we're at it, we do all kinds of other stuff, too.

Those TVs turned out to be about worthless. NFW could they turn us first graders into rocket scientists or anything else much useful. We got about 30 minutes of TV time a week, and the programming not only failed to teach anything beneficial, but did even worse and taught misinformation.

This was 1967, and I was in first grade. We got some programs about the space program...probably produced in about 1960.

Anyway, I remember seeing a program telling us about the moon rocket. The Nova rocket. It was 5 times more powerful than the Saturn V, and it would be taking us to the moon.

Well, by 1967, even us hillbilly Kentuckians knew the Saturn V was the moon vehicle.

Thousands of dollars spent to wire the building so that us 6yo rednecks could learn old, stale and incorrect info. I seem to recall those TV's spent the next 11 years holding down the floor in the corner of our classrooms. They quickly proved to be of little use in the classrooms. Seems we spent the money on the TV's but nobody bothered to produce the requisite programming to go with. Your tax dollars at work...

Doug
Old 04-17-2006, 01:28 PM
BP Mafia

We got to watch Hank Aaron hit #714 off of Jack Billingham on opening day, 1974. Other than that, I don't remember any in-the-classroom television at all.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 04-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Timm
How about this ramjet missile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Timm
This one is tail-heavy!

These are two Project Bumblebee missiles that never went to production. Triton and Rigel IIRC. I wish I could find some dimensioned drawings for both of these though I think I have a drawing of a Rigel wind tunnel model. :-/
Old 04-18-2006, 09:16 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
We got to watch Hank Aaron hit #714 off of Jack Billingham on opening day, 1974. Other than that, I don't remember any in-the-classroom television at all.

All we got were old filmstrips.

Uphill, both ways, in the snow, etc.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 05-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Red River Rocketry

Default New kit release - Red River Rocketry Stratos

Well, now that the dust from NSL has settled, I'd like to announce that I've released my newest kit - Stratos. Please take a look:

http://www.redriverrocketry.com/rockets.php

John
Old 05-31-2006, 09:38 AM
ACE DISASTER COMPANY

Hey guys,
I just wanted to say that I flew the Starliner at NSL in VERY high winds with no problem. It had a very very slight wobble during boost, but no more than a lot of the "normal" rockets (probably due to the wind). The problem came when I was heading home with my teenage daughter in the back seat. She was sleeping and tossing and turning, and I think she nailed the Starliner. It has a pretty good crimp in the tube now (AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!). I guess I'll help my wife start her Starliner now...