Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2005, 08:17 AM
ReBAR Rocketeer

Default Home made tools?

What home made tools do you use?

I don't have anything very fancy, but I do have a couple of things that I find useful. The first is a sheet of plain old typing paper rolled up to fit in the end of the body tube and used as a handle while spray painting. I use a variation on this for nose cones by rolling the paper around the shoulder of the nose cone and using a bit of tape to hold it in place. Card stock, or multiple sheets of paper may be needed for heavier parts.

The next one is to use a glue stick to affix strips of sandpaper to popsicle sticks, stir sticks, tongue depressors, etc, to use for detail sanding in tight spots. Cheaper than the detail sanding sticks sold in the hobby shops, and keeps me out of the dog house for using the wife's emory boards.

The next item isn't home made, but is very useful. Wooden clothes pins. They are great for holding parts together while waiting for glue to dry. You can find them at the "Dollar" stores, so they don't cost much . You can cut and sand them to allow them to fit in tight spaces.

Hopefully this will lead to exchanging some good ideas.

Randal