Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Holmes
I'm actually thinking BNC-60L nose (got one already from BMS) but probably 1/8" basswood fins. If that's inconsistent, well, I'm inconsistent. But to me the look of the nose cone matters, whereas the look of the fins is subordinate to wanting them stronger.

I'd most likely just use a BB kit and swap noses, so we are thinking along the same lines. In fact, that's what my son did with his clone. However, we know that a few folks would dwell on fin thickness accuracy and never realize the nose cone looks completely different from a BB.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Master Modeler

Two quick questions. Regarding the Ranger model photo on Jim Z's site:

#1 Who determined the color scheme of the early ranger? before it had that roll stripe. All the catalogs I've seen are in B & W.

#2 Is it me, or do the engines in the photo appear to stick out of the rear of the body more than the 1/4" of an EB-20A?

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Master Modeler

And another question...

The fin pattern I found on Jim Z's site doesn't have a ruler in it to confirm the correct size in printing out. Does anyone know the length of the root edge of the Ranger from an actual kit fin to confirm the size?

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:18 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernomatic
Two quick questions. Regarding the Ranger model photo on Jim Z's site:

#1 Who determined the color scheme of the early ranger? before it had that roll stripe. All the catalogs I've seen are in B & W.

#2 Is it me, or do the engines in the photo appear to stick out of the rear of the body more than the 1/4" of an EB-20A?

I'm assuming you mean the 1963 Ranger which shows a plain two tone paint scheme. The 1964 catalog had an image with the roll pattern stripe and a drawing with no stripes of any kind. The K-6 plans say to finish the rocket in white, then use red, fluorescent orange, or cerise to make it more visible. I imagine most people who wanted their Ranger to look like the original catalog used the recommendation in the plans to paint their rocket white and instead of painting over the entire rocket with the bright color, only painted the payload section.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Retired Missile Technician

I have two sets of the SEMROC Ranger fins. The root length is 3 and 9/16 inches. I would trust the late Carl McLawhorn's accuracy. He was a bit of a stickler for that sort of thing.

Chas
Old 11-09-2014, 08:42 PM
Advanced Rocketeer SAM# 0455

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernomatic
And another question...

The fin pattern I found on Jim Z's site doesn't have a ruler in it to confirm the correct size in printing out. Does anyone know the length of the root edge of the Ranger from an actual kit fin to confirm the size?

Attached is a full size fin pattern for the Ranger K-6 when printed on Ink jet printer. When I printed the pattern below, it printed in the portrait position from top to bottom giving the root edge 6 1.8". The Ranger is 24 inches tall with a designed fin span from leading edge to leading edge of 5.7 inches (14,5 cm) .
In scaling the image below, I determined that if the attached image is reduced to 58 % of the attached printed scale that the 58% should put the fins close to the correct size within the stated fin span of 5.7 inches.
The second is the reduced scale of 58%. Hopefully this will help, if someone doesn't have the actual dimensions.

Last edited by dvmanning : 11-09-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:03 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

I have an original and very vintage Ranger in my built display..............root edge of the fins is 3 5/8 inches.

Joe
Old 11-10-2014, 08:33 AM
Lost his Drifter

Chas: 3-9/16" fin root edge (from Semroc clone)

Mojo: 3-10/16" fin root edge (from a very old original)

close enough for me....but if I ever clone one, I'll probably go all out and add the extra 1/16".
MTMA Section #606 President