Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2005, 08:11 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Hehe. It looks like Tom Pastrick is checking her out vs looking at the rocket.

In Tom's defense, I believe his motives were pure. He was truly interested in the rocket. With good reason, it was impressive. Home made.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 08-06-2005, 08:42 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
Ouch! What happened? It looks like the chute deployed okay and didn't separate or anything. Now I'm even more scared to fly mine than I already was.

If you build a model rocket and then don't fly it (it just sits on the display shelf, collecting
dust), then it's no longer a model rocket, just a model. I had a lively debate with another
NAR member (and excellent model builder) a while back on the subject (we were talking about the Estes 1/162 scaled Space Shuttle) that the "other" said modeller refuses to fly,
but I've flown mine twice recently even though I knew the risk of the Shuttle Orbiter would
sustain (possibly) on landing.

My rule: I build model rockets to FLY!! Otherwise, it's NOT a model rocket anymore!
Old 08-08-2005, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Hehe. It looks like Tom Pastrick is checking her out vs looking at the rocket.

In Tom's defense, he's seen plenty of Bomarcs already.

It is a nice Bomarc, but I noticed he extended the body tube rather than add nose weight. Did you hear if the flight went well Bill?
Old 08-08-2005, 02:28 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
In Tom's defense, he's seen plenty of Bomarcs already.

It is a nice Bomarc, but I noticed he extended the body tube rather than add nose weight. Did you hear if the flight went well Bill?

This rocket went off just as NARAM was closing. I was just about to go get lunch when I saw them carrying it to the pad, so I put lunch off to get some pics. There were several attempts at launching it over the last half hour or so, but it kept thwarting all efforts to get it flying. Finally, Mark Fisher said that the sport range was closing and that the next attempt would be the last. Nothing. Since Mark said we were done, I wanted to run to get lunch before the breakdown began and I took off down the cursed access road. I had just about reached the main path when I heard it go. I couldn't even see the smoke trail in my mirror. I said several rocket words, hard as that is to believe. By the time I got my lunch and got back, the sport range was just a memory and the contest range was well on its way. I'm told that the flight was impressive, but I know of at least two cool flights that I missed.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 08-09-2005, 04:47 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
If you build a model rocket and then don't fly it (it just sits on the display shelf, collecting dust), then it's no longer a model rocket, just a model. I had a lively debate with another NAR member (and excellent model builder) a while back on the subject (we were talking about the Estes 1/162 scaled Space Shuttle) that the "other" said modeller refuses to fly, but I've flown mine twice recently even though I knew the risk of the Shuttle Orbiter would sustain (possibly) on landing.

My rule: I build model rockets to FLY!! Otherwise, it's NOT a model rocket anymore!

Dave, I fully intend to fly my Odyssey, but I really want to get it finished/painted/decaled first... which means it'll be quite some time before it flies, I'm sure. Right now it looks a whole lot like Bill's did before he flew it.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 08-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Dave, I fully intend to fly my Odyssey, but I really want to get it finished/painted/decaled first... which means it'll be quite some time before it flies, I'm sure. Right now it looks a whole lot like Bill's did before he flew it.

Cool! Are you going to be able to make it to Rushing Park for some sport flying this coming
Saturday? Looks like most of the Challenger club members will be going to Hearne. I'll be
at Rushing, and I think Calvin will be there. Just finished building the Estes vintage Patriot
sport demo model (NOT the scale model) and was pleasantly surprised the decals were
still in excellent shape, despite having been in the sealed kit bag for some 25+ years! I
modified the kit so it'll use the 24 mm motors (up to the E9-6); why not since Estes has the
C11's and it should fly well with that too.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:59 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:

And how it looks again right now. I've been a busy boy. I should have paint and decal work done in the next couple of days. I may even try to get some B6-4 launch shots this weekend since soccer isn't in full swing yet and the fields are largely empty.

I miss being SAM 0058