Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2005, 07:40 PM
BP Mafia

Default Atlantis Deux decal

I've been working on the U.S.S. Atlantis decal from the JimZ site for a couple of weeks. Since it isn't for an actual 1:1 Atlantis, but for my BT-60 based clone with the FlisKits Deuce engine mount, I haven't worried too much about making it EXACTLY like the original. I'm down to the last part of the project, but I can't figure out my next move. The only thing I still need to do is recreate the "U.S.S. Atlantis" name that is at the back of the large circular decal that mounts on the top of the rocket. (Pardon me if I have trouble identifying what I'm talking about. ) The problem I've run into is that the "U.S.S. Atlantis" name is curved, and I can't figure out how to get my program to recreate it in that fashion. I'm using Paint Shop Pro Studio. Do any of you have any experience with this program? Anyone got an idea of how I can get this to work?
Attached Files
File Type: tif Redrawn Atlantis.tif (389.2 KB, 129 views)

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 10-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Old School Rocketeer

Bill,

let me have a crack at this one. I can create that kind of curved text using WordArt in PowerPoint. I'll make the text, and then export it as a .jpg. Will that work for ya? Just give me a day or so to play with it.

Here's an example ....

Later,
EV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Goober.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  34.5 KB  
Old 10-13-2005, 10:14 PM
Master Modeler

The problem is that the text is an inside curve rather than an outside curve.

I can get text in Paint Shop Pro to follow an outside curve on a circle but haven't had any luck with the inside curve.

Bill, I feel for you. I have been trying to figure this out (off and on) all summer.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:15 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
Bill,

let me have a crack at this one. I can create that kind of curved text using WordArt in PowerPoint. I'll make the text, and then export it as a .jpg. Will that work for ya? Just give me a day or so to play with it.

Here's an example ....

Later,
EV

Well, that's part of my screen saver here at work now. ;-)

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 10-13-2005, 10:23 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H

I can get text in Paint Shop Pro to follow an outside curve on a circle but haven't had any luck with the inside curve.

Bill, I feel for you. I have been trying to figure this out (off and on) all summer.

Glad I'm not the only one. I figured out most of the other problems I was having, but this one really has me stumped.
Maybe I should try reading the manual.
Nah.
I also re-drew the decals for the Centuri Nomad. The part on those that is giving me fits is the two large "U.S. NAVY" decals. I haven't tried any of the new techniques that I learned with the Atlantis project on that yet. When I re-did the words like "VENT", "DANGER", and "ACCESS", I got lettering that was outlined, not solid. I liked it that way, so I left it alone, but eventually I'm going to want to do solid letters, so that's another trick I need to learn.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 10-14-2005, 05:40 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I don't know PSP very well as I use Corel Draw 11 for all my decals, but maybe this will work for you.

If you type out your words and then flip them 180 degrees, and then form it to the curve, you might end up with what you want. I'm just guessing here, but it might work.

Corel is really a much better program for decals as it is vector based rather than raster based. In Corel there is a tool that will put text on a curve any way you want to set it.

If you would like to see some of the decals I made for scale R/C models go to

www.heavydatehobbies.com I made all of them for R/C, but have done my own rocket decals as well.
Hope that flipping trick works for you.
Hans
Old 10-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Old School Rocketeer

Bill,

here's my first shot. It uses a standard Arial font. It'll take me a while to search through the free font sites to find one that matches closely. Anyone out there have an idea on the name of the font used on the Atlantis?

Later,
EV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Atlantis Test1.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  20.8 KB  
Old 10-14-2005, 12:46 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H

I used PSP in the past, but I use PE now...

Photoshop Elements has a neat feature where you can warp the text in either direction and watch it as it changes, to get the curve just as you want it. The little dialog box uses a slider bar control, with the center location set for "normal" text...

Another possibility -- try using one of those "CD-DVD" label creator programs. They all have a text-wrapping widget for placing text around the edge of the disk...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635

Last edited by CPMcGraw : 10-14-2005 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 10-14-2005, 12:55 PM
GET GOONY!!

I use Coreldraw 11 as well. Letters that follow a curve are a real pain. Sometimes they are distorted no matter what tricks I use.

I drew my own version of this a few years ago and forgot how I did it! But if you cannot solve this, I can save in just about any format and send the lettering to you...

Ph

GET GOONY!!