Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Master Modeler

Well, it is a down size of a sport rocket so I suppose that would be Sport-Scale - just added a Mini Orion from Semroc into the build pool.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 07-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Craftsman

Finishing up a Custom Rockets TRISTAR, then moving on to the vintage Estes Battlestar Galactica Laser Torpedo I got from Verna.

My Rocketreviews.com Gallery
Old 07-15-2011, 12:45 PM
OCD Enabled

Need to throw together a quick and dirty fxed diameter tower launcher tonight..
for a launch tommorow.

For once, I am GLAD Homedepot and Lowes did NOT have some 3/4 tubing..
( I had enough for 2 pieces on hand..it was oversize and rough finish)

So I just got back from a 30 minute trip to a metal supplier.. paid LESS, for much better quality material. I was actually expecting to pay a lot... lucked out I guess.
NAR #35502
Old 07-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

OK guys,

As excited as I am to see the new Semroc Arcas, SWMBO reminded me that I had gathered parts for a corrected Estes K-26 clone including the Semroc laser-cut fins and mounts. So I decided to whip it together.

Therefore, in keeping with the scale and sport-scale theme of this sub-forum, I'm posting these pictures:

picture 1 is a close-up of the standard Arcas fin assembly, I added the cut out for the mounting screw on the real thing. I also added a thin triple wrap of cardstock for the piston ring at the bottom of the boat-tail. The edges of the fins are sanded and CA'd and they have two coats of balsa filler. A couple of coats of sealer and they'll be ready.

picture 2 shows the whole thing on my old cradle. The body tube is now 20.24 inches long which is the right length according to Peter Alway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  arcas1.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  611.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  arcas2.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  586.8 KB  

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 07-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Forest Sprite

Nike-Tomahawk
Sandia Sandhawk

Coming up:
Black Brant II
WASP
Nike Smoke

All are scratch and I'm trying to do a credible (or at least not laughable) scale build of each one. The one that is closest to completion is the N-T, but I'm shy about posting any pics of my rockets until I've simulated every last screw.

I'm torn over how to proceed with the WASP. My original intent was to build a clone of the FSI kit. That version seems like a pretty nice rocket, but as a scale kit, or even a sport-scale kit, it has some glaring omissions and some not-even-close-to-scale elements, and the claimed scale factor is off by a factor of two. So, do I build it as a clone of the kit, or do I "fix it" and correct all of the scale issues? From what I have been able to tell, FSI actually did a decent job of making their scale kits pretty close to scale, but they really missed the mark in a few places on the WASP. (I haven't really looked at the FSI Javelin in detail yet, but nothing really jumps out as being totally off in it.) The only other issue that has come up with an FSI scale kit was correcting the Nike-Tomahawk's fins and making the fin brackets 3D in the Sandhawk. As a few people may know, I've been working on cloning every one of FSI's kits. (Why? Because I can, and I like them.) The minor details that I have added and corrections that I have made (and all of those that I plan on making) to their other scale kits won't alter the fact that they are clones (and won't need to), but I fear that making the corrections in the WASP will make it into something that FSI never kitted, and hence no longer a clone. Build it clone or build it scale? That's my dilemma.

Also very high up in the queue: Semroc Iris. I am head over heels in love with that kit. The Iris is quite possibly the most beautiful sounding rocket that has ever been built. I may even add the booster! In fact it'll probably be built right after, or more likely concurrent with, the BB II.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 07-19-2011, 10:48 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Byrum
I have a new design in the makes. It's my 1st air scoop/duct concept with a hand turned nose cone unlike anything available. It's a bit hard to get a 3D perspective from my profile drawing but I'm sure I'll have pics available on the build as they come. Still edging a name for this one also.

That nosecone / fin combination reminds me of like a bishop's hat. What about calling it "The Bishop".

The Rocketry Enthusiast's Social Network - RocketRoar.com
Old 07-21-2011, 11:09 AM
OldSchoolDood

Send a message via Yahoo to Gary Byrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketroar
That nosecone / fin combination reminds me of like a bishop's hat. What about calling it "The Bishop".

I'm actually going with _______Predator. I have to find a 1st name that isn't being used if I can. Here's what it looks like presently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF2566.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  93.5 KB  
Old 07-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Wow that's gorgeous. What is it going to fly on again?

The Rocketry Enthusiast's Social Network - RocketRoar.com
Old 07-21-2011, 11:16 AM
OldSchoolDood

Send a message via Yahoo to Gary Byrum

It's prepped for 24 mm motors and weighs in at 7.75 oz as is. C-11's and D's prolly. Thanks for the compliment. With all this miserable humidity we have right now, It'll be a while b4 I can paint it.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Old BAR

Gary, that thing is beautimus! Great job!

Allen