Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2015, 08:23 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Good grief.

FWIW, excelsior-rocketry.com (and .net and .biz and others) is available, as are most of the other variants of excelsiorrocketry besides ".com".

Philosophically I'd hate to reward those clowns in Australia for doing this, even if it's a relatively small amount for such things. But I don't know how much other stuff you'd have to change to change the domain name you are using.

Exactly!

They are like vultures waiting in the background for a web holder to make a mistake.

Actually I felt the same way I'd feel if somebody stole my dog from my front yard and wanted a reward to give it back to me.

Does anybody know how I can change the domain name like to excelsior-rocketry and link that name to my old web site?

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 07-30-2015, 08:42 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Go to networksolutions.com, a different and honorable registrar, and ask to have your domain transferred to them as administrative and technical contact. You are the owner. Then see what noises the pirate makes.

If you need a server to park it on for free you can use mine. Otherwise use web.com or some such.

It expired less than 30 days ago so I think it is still yours and the other guy is in the process of stealing it from you, but not yet.

Jerry

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 07-30-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Go to network solutions.com, a different and honorable registrar, and ask to have your domain transferred to them. Then see what noises the pirate makes.

If you need a server to park it on for free you can use mine. Otherwise use web.com or some such.

It expired less than 30 days ago so I think it is still yours and the other guy is in the process of stealing it from you, but not yet.

Jerry

It won't take excelsiorrockert or excelsior rocketry.com but...it will take excelsior-tocketry.com for $4.95.

Now how would I transfer all my web site stuff to that domain?

They seem to have locked up my access to my web site administration page.

How can they do that?

Old 07-30-2015, 09:07 AM

Do you have your entire website stored on a local computer as a backup or is it only complete online?

The web host (web.com) is a different thing from the domain parking service (netsol.com). So while your domain is expired, the places where the content was stored is still active and editable. If your domain parking service and web host are the same, then they may be blocking access to your online files pending payment. Never have them be the same supplier again.

If you paid a $4.95 teaser rate be aware the real cost of that was $35 for the domain and $15-45 for the hosting, so they may be doing a cost recovery billing now that it is x years into your contract.

netsol.com does not use teaser rates and even allows you to guarantee ownership for a small fee under which they actively contact you if there is a problem.

Jerry
Old 07-30-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Do you have your entire website stored on a local computer as a backup or is it only complete online?

The web host (web.com) is a different thing from the domain parking service (netsol.com). So while your domain is expired, the places where the content was stored is still active and editable. If your domain parking service and web host are the same, then they may be blocking access to your online files pending payment. Never have them be the same supplier again.

If you paid a $4.95 teaser rate be aware the real cost of that was $35 for the domain and $15-45 for the hosting, so they may be doing a cost recovery billing now that it is x years into your contract.

netsol.com does not use teaser rates and even allows you to guarantee ownership for a small fee under which they actively contact you if there is a problem.

Jerry

I just got off the phone with NetworkSolutions.com and they were very helpful and they offer a ton of safety and web services but...they aren't cheap at $219.00 a month.

I don't do enough business to afford that.

I don't know how I can access my web sites administration page with everything on it but I will dig some more.

I have all the decal pictures from my web site on my computer but that's all unless I can get into my administration page.

The way the nice girl at NetSol explained it, it's like I didn't pay my property tax and they put a fence up around my property. I have the key to my house (my web site) but I can't get through the fence until I give them $135.00

If nothing else I can provide an email only service for decals.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:44 AM
Dazed and Confused

Set up a new domain. Use the wayback machine for a snapshot of your website and then mine the data from it. The snapshot is from Dec 2014 so it's not current, but you can still pull the HTML and tweak it.
https://web.archive.org/web/2014121...orrocketry.com/
http://download.cnet.com/WebCopier/...tag=mncol%3bpop
Old 07-30-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
I just got off the phone with NetworkSolutions.com and they were very helpful and they offer a ton of safety and web services but...they aren't cheap at $219.00 a month.

I was not suggesting netsol for turnkey web hosting services. I was suggesting them for domain name parking ($15-30/year) and a cheap service like web.com for your web hosting (ISP) services (I pay $25/mo for 2 dozen domains).
Old 07-30-2015, 11:50 AM

My web site is hosted by GoDaddy so I registered a new Domain name with them.

I just have to wait and see is I can use it with my web site.

The guy at GoDaddy thinks it shouldn't be a problem but Dale is handling my web site so I'll see if he can do it.

What a PIA this is!

Old 07-30-2015, 04:53 PM
Craftsman

I am very sorry to hear that you have more problems Gordy.
I wouldn't pay them a nickle.
I hope you had all your data from you site backed up.
Get a new domain name as suggested.
You followers and customers will find you by keeping up on the forums.
I know I have many decals needed in the near future.
btw, they drive on the wrong side of road, so who can think much of that?

EDIT: Ah, I see you did it as I was posting this.
GOOD FOR YOU, and best of luck getting your info from your old site.
Might set up auto payment this time so it doesn't happen again Gordy.
Nice guys like you don't deserve these kind of problems!

Last edited by Woody's Workshop : 07-30-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:40 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Gordon,
Who did you originally register your domain through? Was it through MelbourneIT? Or another company? You should have 40 days grace period to renew. After that (~ August 18?) the registrar can charge you a redemption fee ($136 is within reason --- GoDaddy charges $80), but you still have first rights for a few more days (can't remember if it is 10 or 30 or 60). After that it is deleted or put up for auction.