Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Card stock

Hi,
Could you please tell me where I can get the thick card stock used for centering rings and such. The only heavy card stock I can find is for greeting cards or wedding invites. All are much to thin.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Craftsman

I haven't found any fiberboard like what's used in centering rings. I usually make my own rings out of everyday cardboard. The few fiberboard rings I have made, I took the fiberboard insert out of a 3 ring binder. I cut out a piece about the size I needed to make a ring and then split that piece in half, so that I had two thinner pieces, and cut the rings from those.

Last edited by Intruder : 07-20-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Master Modeler

You could also laminate/glue a few pieces of card stock together until you get the desired thickness. and stiffness.

"Those who trade liberty for security have neither" - Benjamin Franklin

"Semroc is almost always the answer" - Stefanj

www.paulsavia.com

www.soundclick.com/paulsavia
Old 07-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Just another BAR!

You can pick up centering ring cardstock from Apogee Components.

8-1/2" X 11" X .048" thick for about $1.75 a sheet.

Here is link to page (cardstock is down about mid-page.)

... Bill
Old 07-20-2009, 04:36 PM
When Pigs Fly!

For centering rings, I picked up illustration boards from Staples a while back.
They are 1/16" thick x 20" x 30". If memory serves me it was $13.00 for three sheets.
The product number is 438945.

This board is three ply "sandwiched", white outside layers, brown on the inside. It's thicker (.0625") than the Apogee product (.048) but great for centering rings.

I can't take credit for the "find".I originally saw this product mentioned on a forum, but I don't remember who recommended it.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 07-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Paper Rocketeer

You can also laminate your own. I use 110# cardstock (Georgia Pacific - can be purchased at any Walmart). It mics out to .009 - .010" thick. So four layers would equal .036 to .040", five would be .045 to .050". If you laminate your own, apply white or yellow glue VERY thin (I spread it with a Q-Tip) and laminate each layer at cross grain to the previous layer (the grain of a sheet of cardstock runs the long direction of the sheet - just rotate each page by 90 degrees). If you have a good draw or paint program that is pretty accurate, or using Rocsim, you can print the centering ring on the top layer and glue it down to give you a cutting guide. Once you have the sheet laminated together, press under a heavy book (or stack of books) to dry flat. By crossing grains, you will also minimize curling as well as adding strength. The result is very much like plywood, except made from paper (ply-paper?)

Greg
Old 07-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Craftsman

Print your centring rings on plain paper and then glue them with a glue stick to your empty box of Cap'n Crunch. Personally I don't see the point of spending money on that which can be made with what otherwise will end up in the recycle bin.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Master Modeler

Try matte board. A framing shop will probably give you scraps.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
This board is three ply "sandwiched", white outside layers, brown on the inside. It's thicker (.0625") than the Apogee product (.048) but great for centering rings.

Those two measurements, .048" & .0625", are the most commonly used thicknesses for printed circuit boards, with .048" being mostly out of use and the .0625" being common now days.

So, an interesting (to me) idea is to design any electronic gizmos one wants in a rocket to fit on a centering ring shaped printed circuit board. Then you wouldn't need a dedicated payload compartment. Of course, the electronics would be more or less permanently affixed to the rocket. Still...there's got to be an application...

Of course, one could just cut one's centering rings from old electronics boards.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by maricopasem
Print your centring rings on plain paper and then glue them with a glue stick to your empty box of Cap'n Crunch. Personally I don't see the point of spending money on that which can be made with what otherwise will end up in the recycle bin.

I like that train of thought, but the cereal boxes we have are considerably thinner than the centering rings I've used...