Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2017, 09:53 AM
Dazed and Confused

Default 1970 Flight at TTU

This is the back cover of a beg-a-zine...those magazines graduates get where they ask for donations and provide a little bit of propeganda for the school. This one is from Tennessee Tech where my son got his engineering degree.

If you notice the caption it says the professor is launching the rocket. If you look closely at the pic, you will see the student kneeling in front of the pad is actually launching it. The professor is either monitoring telemetry, or it's just staged to make him look important. It says he was a NASA employee and a handler for Able and Baker. I wonder if he actually studied them or just scooped poop.

From the look of the exhaust, it is a BP motor. Since it is carrying a mouse, it's probably a D13. The exhaust doesn't look thick enough for an FSI E60 or Centuri Mini-Max E62 and the model doesn't seem to be moving that fast. A D13 also makes me wonder if it really has any telemetry on board considering the weight of 1970 batteries and transmitters.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:33 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

That is a chart recorder. We used to use one to record thrust curves in the analog days of the 60's to early 80's. Ours were surplus. Their telemetry is likely an analog signal or two.

We went to digital about the time the PC-AT (286) came out. My company was computerised since 1978. First a PDP-11 for programs, then a Xerox 820 (CP/M 8.5" foppies) for publishing and locally run programs, then a 286 clone which ran the magazine, rocket club, 3 rocket companies and a publishing company. Then a Mac+ running Ramdisk which was not surpassed in speed in ram disc mode till the 040 came out. It also had SCSI .
Old 04-02-2017, 10:42 AM
Dazed and Confused

Yes, but I don't see anything resembling an antenna, so I wonder if it's actually recording anything. Since the payload was a mouse for the biology dept and the caption says they were studying effects on cardiac and respiratory systems, you'd think they would be trying to monitor rate changes in real time.

It's also interesting that the caption says "upper atmosphere".

Old 04-02-2017, 10:52 AM
the middle-aged rocketeer

I,ve done a little checking with bing and google. One source says it achieved 3000 ft but a PDF I found said 1000 ft and on may 2 1970 it was put on permanent display at Huntsville Alabama. I wonder if it's still there? I couldn't find any images. The Tntech post said they monitored heart rate and respiration both of which increased. Who would have guessed?
Old 04-02-2017, 12:59 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Of course now the NAR and other pansy groups like PETA would be making a federal animal-abuse case out of launching a mouse, which should be NONE OF THEIR STINKIN' BIZZNUSS.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-02-2017, 03:31 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
I,ve done a little checking with bing and google. One source says it achieved 3000 ft but a PDF I found said 1000 ft and on may 2 1970 it was put on permanent display at Huntsville Alabama. I wonder if it's still there? I couldn't find any images. The Tntech post said they monitored heart rate and respiration both of which increased. Who would have guessed?

It seems like 1000 ft would be too high for a single D13 pushing a mouse and telemetry package of late 60's to early 70's vintage. Cookeville's elevation is only about 1150', so there's no significant advantage up there on the plateau over my 450' elevation.

I've been to the Huntsville rocket center a couple dozen times beginning in the late 70's and never saw a model rocket (other than non-flight scale displays) anywhere other than the Estes kits sold in the lobby.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:58 PM
Dazed and Confused

I decided to try to contact Professor Dooley and found that he passed away in 2014. I don't think I will try to contact his sons. However, if my daughter decides to attend TTU, I will have her research the event at the school's library.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:17 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Yes, but I don't see anything resembling an antenna, so I wonder if it's actually recording anything. Since the payload was a mouse for the biology dept and the caption says they were studying effects on cardiac and respiratory systems, you'd think they would be trying to monitor rate changes in real time.
It's also interesting that the caption says "upper atmosphere".
Drop the skepticism. A 1 foot wire taped to the side of the rocket. Known silly short range from the visual rocket and the telemeter and a D13 with a small mouse aboard. How high could have it possibly gone? 500-300 feet? Believable.

I once talked by CB at night by skip from Upland, CA to Melbourne Australia for about 20 minutes. The weather conditions were right.

This sucker is line of sight 500 feet.

Research? Go old school. Inter-library loan!

Who wants to bet is was a D13-3?
Old 04-02-2017, 04:33 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Why does no one think it might be an F100? or even a Centuri MiniMax? Is it just the thin-ish smoke?
Old 04-02-2017, 04:40 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Why does no one think it might be an F100? or even a Centuri MiniMax? Is it just the thin-ish smoke?

I mentioned the Centuri Mini-Max E62 in the original post. As for the F100, there just isn't enough smoke. I've never seen an F100 launch, but I've flown many Rocketflite F50 motors. There's also photos in the FSI catalog showing considerably more smoke.