Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2015, 04:11 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Saturn 1B 1/100th Scale

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jacob, I'm new here so please don't rake me over the coals here.

I am doing a kickstarter to make a 3D Printable Saturn 1B that you can either print on your own or purchase a printed kit.

I am offering 2 different versions-
1. Static Model-this model will be like your standard plastic model kit showing detail of the first stage, second stage, instrument unit, and csm.
2. Flyable Model-This will be a flyable version of the model based off the 1/100th Estes Saturn 1B you can find here on the forum in the instructions section. I'm designing the flyable version to fly on either a Estes C-65 or a D motor.

Rewards for backing-
$5-Special Thank You! Join the movement in desktop kit bashing. You will receive all the updates as the project progresses and your own miniature Saturn 1B to print on your own.
$25-3D Printable Saturn 1B in 1/100th Scale. Parts designed to fit any printer with a 4"x4"x4" build volume or bigger.
$30-3D Printable Saturn 1B in 1/100th Scale. Parts designed to fit any printer with a 4"x4"x4" build volume or bigger. Plus a personalize display stand for you to print and display your desktop piece of awesomeness!!!
$75-3D Printed 1/100th Saturn 1B Kit for those who don't have a 3D Printer. Delivered just in time for christmas.
$75-3D Printed flyable Saturn 1B.
$100-3D Printed 1/100th Saturn 1B ASSEMBLED.
$200-Limited Edition 3D Printed 1/100th Saturn 1B assembled with display stand. in addition to the model created for you, a model will be given to a school for the blind of your choice to give blind students a glimpse in to rocketry.

The first model renderings are going up on Valentines day of the lower first stage. So please back with confidence. I'm a Mechanical Engineering Technology student and have a very firm grasp of CAD and 3D Printing. If you have questions for me please feel free to ask. All of the profits from this project are going to fund machine, filament costs, and train tickets for a volunteer project I do at the Field Museum in chicago.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...g?ref=discovery

Last edited by ayersjl : 02-14-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:17 PM
BAR

Sounds interesting, but I don't ever see you selling a flying one for $750...

Have you actually prototyped these and made sure it'll fly stably?? That would seem to me to be a necessary first step... Also, what's the weight of a fully 3D printed rocket going to be?? What sort of motor will you need to fly safely??

Later and good luck with your project...

OL JR
Old 02-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I know the $75 is a bit steep, but material cost to produce quality parts for this stuff isn't the cheapest by the time you figure in ABS, Solubale Support Material, and Acetone to chemically treat the prints.

The decision to add a flying version was made within the past 24 hours so it hasn't been prototyped. I got messaged by a few people saying they would be interested so starting the planning of it. Rocket weight is going to be around 200 grams so I'm thinking of designing it around an Estes D12-3.

I'll have a printed prototype within a week and or so. I don't have funds to go out do a flight test and all. Thats the purpose of the kickstarter to fund the development of it. I'm a broke engineering student.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:44 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayersjl
I know the $75 is a bit steep, but material cost to produce quality parts for this stuff isn't the cheapest by the time you figure in ABS, Solubale Support Material, and Acetone to chemically treat the prints.

The decision to add a flying version was made within the past 24 hours so it hasn't been prototyped. I got messaged by a few people saying they would be interested so starting the planning of it. Rocket weight is going to be around 200 grams so I'm thinking of designing it around an Estes D12-3.

I'll have a printed prototype within a week and or so. I don't have funds to go out do a flight test and all. Thats the purpose of the kickstarter to fund the development of it. I'm a broke engineering student.

So it's $75 not $750?? Might want to correct your post then...

Do you fly model rockets at all?? If you have a launch pad, controller, and some rocket motors, you'd have all you need to do a flight test... If your chosen motor is going to be a D12, you can get those at Hobby Lobby on a 40% off coupon.

Just sayin'... Not sure how much the Estes 1/100 Saturn IB weighed out at when built, or where the CG/CP points were located... if you have RockSim, it would be easy enough to simulate and find out. If you don't have RockSim and don't have funds for that either, you could download "Open Rocket" as shareware from the web and do your simulation work on there, plugging in your "real world" weights for the components and then do some simulations to see how it flies and how your stability margins look.

Best of luck on your project! OL JR
Old 02-14-2015, 08:35 AM
Junior Rocketeer

I appreciate the advice. I haven't flown models since high school. I built the Semroc Saturn 1B and a few other little ones. When I moved out to go to college my parents through out all of my rocketry stuff. Its been about 5 years since I've played with this stuff. So I'm going through the process of relearning this stuff.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:35 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayersjl
When I moved out to go to college my parents through out all of my rocketry stuff.

There has been way too much of that going around...

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...