Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironnerd
Snip... Apogee, however has one they import from China (big shock there) that looks pretty familiar.

[LINK]

I normally use my club's equipment (which is actually really nice), but for a quick fix at a local park, I use a Tilt-A-Pad my father-in-law helped me build (he has a shop-smith in his basement).

I still have a Porta-Pad E in my basement. I looked it over and said "No Thanks" - just looked a little too cheesy. I really think Estes can do better with their launch pads - and I think they should do better. Keep a cheap on in the line-up for starter kits, but bring back the "non-lightning-leg" Porta-pad II's and maybe the "Big-foot", and dare we dream, the Power-plex.

As I understand it, the Astron II pad has no ability to tilt the rod and can accept on 1/8" rods - so, I'm not enthusiastic about this offering.

I did a poll a while ago a while back, and the most popular launch pad was the Tilt-A-Pad, followed by Big Foot, then original Porta-pad.

The most popular controllers were Solar, then Astron, then a tie for Big foot and Electron Beam.

I'd say that looks REALLY familiar. I think I might get one just to rob it of it's legs. Then I could give that pad a quickie paint job (black), the PPE's legs and donate it to a school (kids like lightning bolt legs don't they?)

If I could only find that D**N tackle box with my old pads (PPII (pre-lightning bolt legs) and my BigFoot) as well as untold treasures of unused 15 year old engines and igniters. Perhaps one day.

My only grouses with the BigFoot's launch controller... the flashlight bulb used for continuity checking, and the wire being permanently attached to the launcher. I cut mine off, and replaced it with a controller of my own design that used an RCA plug to attach the controller to the battery pack/launcher.

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
My only grouses with the BigFoot's launch controller... the flashlight bulb used for continuity checking, and the wire being permanently attached to the launcher. I cut mine off, and replaced it with a controller of my own design that used an RCA plug to attach the controller to the battery pack/launcher.

Well, the flashlight bulb can be replaced with this. I use one in my electron beam, and Quest igniters are no problem. And I don't think I will ever burn it out. VERY visible in daylight - all around a MUCH better option than the original bulb.

As for the permanently attached wire, we... that can be fixed with an RCA jack and plug (as you did), or a battery connector from an RC car.

I used to build all of my controllers, but now I just use the E-beam; it was free, and it works - even if it is uglier than Nixon's @$$.

Last edited by Ironnerd : 08-25-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:59 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Lightbulb Found! Source of the cone...

This yellow cone used to keep the blast plate off of the base of the launcher is from Dutch Bros' Coffee . I found another identical to it (except for color... red) at Black Rock Coffee Bar. Both coffee chains are found on the Left coast of the US, and look to be expanding. If you live outside the area of either chain, I'd recommend checking at large franchise drive up coffee chains.

I modified my 2nd yellow cone to have a rare earth magnet (available at Home Depot in packs of 12 for ~$4.00 USD (has a hole in the center of them)) held in place by a bent paperclip and superglue so it can be used as a launch rod end cap. I plan on adding a small bit of surveyor's tape to act as a wind gauge.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Old 10-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Exclamation

After watching princeofsin1's (a member of TRF) Mean Machine topple when the nozzle blew out, I got to thinking about what if that had been at a large event... What if that was a 2 or three stage rocket.

I've contacted the CSPC with a report. Used as designed, this product is unsafe, and needs to be recalled IMHO.