Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2018, 08:22 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I heard on the news it'll be of the pop-up/seasonal variety.

Initially, because there's lots of product already on the water and in production that was meant for TrU, and that needs to go somewhere, so pop-up stores make sense to absorb that product. But there will be a need for more permanent stores, as Walmart and Target are probably not going to take up all the slack.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:14 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Initially, because there's lots of product already on the water and in production that was meant for TrU, and that needs to go somewhere, so pop-up stores make sense to absorb that product. But there will be a need for more permanent stores, as Walmart and Target are probably not going to take up all the slack.
I also heard that pop-up stores will be first, and that they will also become an online vendor, with permanent Kay-Bee stores being phased in later. Also:

This afternoon I heard a report that the Toys"R"Us liquidation sale has begun (the eleventh-our plan to keep some of their stores open, via a new investor, apparently fell through).
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 03-24-2018, 04:33 PM
Master Modeler

I'm sure it won't be the same but I found a whole bunch of OOP stuff at KayBee Toys BITD. Loved going in there.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:32 PM
Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I only learned of Circus World's previous existence last night, in one of the articles about Kay-Bee Toys (south Florida may not have been one of their regions).

Circus World had 2 South Florida stores that I knew about, one was in the Hollywood Mall and
the other was in a mall down in Cutler Ridge. I hit both of these stores just as they were going
out of business (late 1990 /1991). I scored some great finds, including many kits that were
form the late 70's. and many engines in pink blister packs. the other store that was here in South Florida that had a hord of model rockets when it closed was Lionel Play World.

we had six Lionel Play World Stores in a 50 mile radius here in South Florida
Old 03-25-2018, 05:12 PM
Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I heard on the news it'll be of the pop-up/seasonal variety.

Back in the mid 1990's, The KB out let in Sawgrass Mills Mall in Sun Rise Fl. sold rocketry items at a close out. they had launch packs of D12-3 Engines with wadding, I cannot remember how many engines came in the pack but they where priced less than $1.00 per engine . KB Out Let also had some
very limited amount of Model Rocket Kits at about a 30% discount.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:58 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Miller
Circus World had 2 South Florida stores that I knew about, one was in the Hollywood Mall and
the other was in a mall down in Cutler Ridge. I hit both of these stores just as they were going
out of business (late 1990 /1991). I scored some great finds, including many kits that were
form the late 70's. and many engines in pink blister packs. the other store that was here in South Florida that had a hord of model rockets when it closed was Lionel Play World.

we had six Lionel Play World Stores in a 50 mile radius here in South Florida
I'm not surprised; there were places that, living where did in Miami, we very seldom went to because they were far away (I've only been to Cutler Ridge and Hollywood once or twice each, over 40 years). Even the Lionel Playworld stores were rather distant (although we went to one of them a couple of times). I might not even recognize south Florida if I went there now.
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 03-27-2018, 06:55 PM
Master Blaster

Quote:
I'm not surprised; there were places that, living where did in Miami, we very seldom went to because they were far away (I've only been to Cutler Ridge and Hollywood once or twice each, over 40 years). Even the Lionel Playworld stores were rather distant (although we went to one of them a couple of times). I might not even recognize south Florida if I went there now.

J, you would not even believe it, so much has changed, we have a Panera Bread, Starbucks, or Walgreen's on every corner. the Hollywood Mall is gone it is now a Cost CO and a Walmart
Super Center ( 5 within 6 miles). Marlins Park took over the Orange Bowl, I haven't been down to Miami in more than 5 years, the last time I was at Crown Hobbies they were selling RC Cars and only had one short wall for Plastic Models and Model Rockets. Felix Hobbies sold out, and RC Hobbies the last Hobby Shop in Broward County Closed over a year ago. oh ya we Have 4 Hobby Lobby's in a 10 mile radius.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:32 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Miller
J, you would not even believe it, so much has changed, we have a Panera Bread, Starbucks, or Walgreen's on every corner. the Hollywood Mall is gone it is now a Cost CO and a Walmart
Super Center ( 5 within 6 miles). Marlins Park took over the Orange Bowl, I haven't been down to Miami in more than 5 years, the last time I was at Crown Hobbies they were selling RC Cars and only had one short wall for Plastic Models and Model Rockets. Felix Hobbies sold out, and RC Hobbies the last Hobby Shop in Broward County Closed over a year ago. oh ya we Have 4 Hobby Lobby's in a 10 mile radius.
I'd never even heard of Panera Bread... I'd wondered what had become of the Orange Bowl (we lived just a mile or two away), and I was surprised that you found Crown Hobbies (my brother-in-law Dave Westberry's "hobby hang-out" since he was a kid 50+ years ago) still there (Orange Blossom Hobbies, of course, having "belonged to the ages" since about 20 years ago, and the Miami Space Transit Planetarium, where I'd worked, having closed about 3 years ago). It sounds like Miami is now an even better place to be *from*. :-)
NAR #54895 SR
Old 03-28-2018, 05:44 AM
Master Blaster

Quote:
I'd never even heard of Panera Bread... I'd wondered what had become of the Orange Bowl (we lived just a mile or two away), and I was surprised that you found Crown Hobbies (my brother-in-law Dave Westberry's "hobby hang-out" since he was a kid 50+ years ago) still there (Orange Blossom Hobbies, of course, having "belonged to the ages" since about 20 years ago, and the Miami Space Transit Planetarium, where I'd worked, having closed about 3 years ago). It sounds like Miami is now an even better place to be *from*. :-)

I was sad to see Orange Blossom Hobbies Close, that place was like Hobby Heaven.
I don't think you could ever explain to people what that place was truly like.
Orange Blossom Hobbies was TRUE AMERICANA.

By the way Panera Bread Started as a Latin Bakery and is now a Upscale, Sandwich and Soup Restaurant.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:58 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I know I'd much rather be in South Florida during the heat of the SUMMER than ever in Alaska for ANY reason EVER.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !