Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 03:31 PM
I do not like Facebook

Default A small modification to the Semroc Arcas

I hate friction fitting motors, so a top priority was to see whether the kit can be built with a motor hook. This is the 1/3 scale version, not the SLS.

Two small laser-cut rings are provided to simulate the lip at the nozzle and for a shoulder to support the aft end of the boat tail shroud.

Steps 7..9 of the instructions say to liberate the rings, position them at the end of the motor tube and fix them in place with CA glue.

I applied a small amount of wood glue onto one face of the smaller ring and slid it onto the motor tube followed by the larger ring. Pressed them together, then removed the assembly from the tube to prevent it from being glued there prematurely.

Skipped ahead to step 11 - cut out and formed the boat tail shroud. Per my usual technique, cut the glue tab free and used it to reinforce a butt joint between the two edges of the shroud. Note: always use a knife and a metal straightedge to cut the two straight edges of a shroud. Scissors are the only option for the curved portions, but they never give me a perfectly straight cut when I really need it.

After everything is dry, test fitted the shroud on the motor tube against the ring assembly to see how much of the shroud would need to be removed to make room for a hook and its required freedom of movement.

Observed that the rear edges of the fins do not go all the way to the end of the boat tail.

Hmmm.

A motor hook installed under a fin can kill two birds with one stone. The fin will help to disguise the hook. Cutting the shroud under a fin will eliminate the need to hide a small bit of exposed seam in the shroud.

OK, we have a plan.

Cut a slot in the front end of the motor tube for the hook. Put a hook in place and marked where the edges of the hook met the rear end of the tube, then removed the hook. Cut a section out of the ring assembly for the hook to clear. Applied a small amount of wood glue to the end of the motor tube and slid the assembly onto the tube with the large ring even with the end of the tube. While that was drying, cut a slot for the hook at the rear end of the seam in the shroud. Applied a small fillet of wood glue where the front of the small ring met the tube. When that was completely dry, applied CA to the edge and rear face of the large ring. I avoided the smaller ring with the CA as I wanted exposed cardstock when gluing the shroud in place.

Then the moment of truth. Fitted everything together and loved it when a plan goes together.

Now to get started beveling those fins...

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...