Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 01:52 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

here is one source: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/body_tubes.html

Yep, BT-63 was the "core" tube for the eight BT-51 "tank" tubes in the Estes Saturn IB.

Since it slip-fitted over BT-60, it was used in the K-36 Saturn V kit as part of the removable engine mount, that allowed using either a 3-18mm motor cluster, or a single 24mm motor.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:01 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
here is one source: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/body_tubes.html

Yep, BT-63 was the "core" tube for the eight BT-51 "tank" tubes in the Estes Saturn IB.

Since it slip-fitted over BT-60, it was used in the K-36 Saturn V kit as part of the removable engine mount, that allowed using either a 3-18mm motor cluster, or a single 24mm motor.
This helps legitimize the BT-63 and the 3x18mm mount of the SatV, in my mind. That is, the 3x18, shrouded with the BT-60 tube, always struck me as being over-engineered, not to mention incompatible with pretty much any other rocket.

But, since the BT-63 already had another function, it makes the 3x18 design make a bit more sense.

Still, if anyone wanted to build a 3x18 mount to use in multiple rockets, forgoing the BT-60 shroud is a must. That way, the mount will install in any BT-60, a far more common tube.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 06-26-2014, 06:22 PM
Master Modeler

I've made an interchangeable 3 x 18mm mount where the motor mount tube fit into notches in a BT-60 coupler. The coupler, which is just 1" or so long, sits ahead of the motor mount tubes.

The same model can also handle 1 x 24mm and 1 x 29mm.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 06-26-2014, 08:32 PM
CG to close to CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
This helps legitimize the BT-63 and the 3x18mm mount of the SatV, in my mind. That is, the 3x18, shrouded with the BT-60 tube, always struck me as being over-engineered, not to mention incompatible with pretty much any other rocket.

But, since the BT-63 already had another function, it makes the 3x18 design make a bit more sense.

Still, if anyone wanted to build a 3x18 mount to use in multiple rockets, forgoing the BT-60 shroud is a must. That way, the mount will install in any BT-60, a far more common tube.

Doug

I was always under the impression, this was done, to get the Saturn V to market, as Estes did not have the D13-3 ready yet, but it was planned. I even thought the earliest Saturn V kits did not include the "D engine Adapter". But this is all just from memory, so I have no proof, or first hand knowledge. By the time I got my original K-36, the D13's were available, but even now I still like to fly it on 3 C6-3's occasionally. First available in the 1969 catalog.
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/no...a/69est024.html, only lists C6-3 for engines.

Last edited by mikeyd : 06-26-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:53 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd
I was always under the impression, this was done, to get the Saturn V to market, as Estes did not have the D13-3 ready yet, but it was planned. I even thought the earliest Saturn V kits did not include the "D engine Adapter". But this is all just from memory, so I have no proof, or first hand knowledge. By the time I got my original K-36, the D13's were available, but even now I still like to fly it on 3 C6-3's occasionally. First available in the 1969 catalog.
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/no...a/69est024.html, only lists C6-3 for engines.

You are correct. I was one of the first to receive a K-36 Saturn V (in August or September '69), and it did not have a D mount, as the motor would not be introduced for three or four more months.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:28 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

As with most anything that needs a C6-3, the K-36 Saturn V flies a lot better on a cluster of C5-3's than on C6-3's if you can find old stock for use at a non-sanctioned launch.
That engine should have NEVER been discontinued just like the B14/B8 series.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-27-2014, 10:50 AM
Craftsman

The super C's were good motors.