Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2018, 08:20 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I can call this vintage build complete and ready for flight. The old decals were in pretty good shape but did have some issues with them lying flat on the metallic finish. I don't like using products on these old decals since I had some bad experiences. Also the black decals did not show up well on a the dark rocket. I kept the build simple with the only sanding being with the brodak sealer, easily and fast. I used Brite Touch primer, great stuff and cheap. It is not a filler primer but if needed it will sand easily even though I don't sand it since I don't like sanding. Plastic model builders use this primer since it is thin enough and does not hide the plastic models details.

That finish is remarkable! Huzzah! Dilly, Dilly!
Old 12-02-2018, 08:00 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
...The 3 coats of good Brodak did a great job of sealing the balsa for a smooth finish...

As a point of comparison, you have probably already done this experiment, but as a user of the Deft laquer sanding sealer, I would say that it takes maybe about 6 coats to get an equivalent quality finish to your 3 coats of Brodak. Deft be cheaper in cost per oz. than Brodak in larger quantities, but requires more labor to get that nice finish like you achieved here.

Would be cool to see a family/fleet photo of all your rockets that use this same classic nose cone/nozzle. Do you have them all yet?
Old 12-15-2018, 02:28 AM
Lifelong Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
A friend flew a big upscale at NARAM, 5.5” tube as I recall. I did not get a picture, but I’ll look for it. He posted on one of the FB group pages, probably the NAR page. Very cool, a K550 as I recall.

By the way, I got my Brodak sanding sealer. I’ve only got two coats on a nose cone, but so far I like the way it goes on, and it sands very nicely.

I switched to Brodsky this last summer after no being able to find my stand by Aero Gloss.
I love the stuff and I don't thin it as some do
Old 12-16-2018, 11:03 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I also bought the Brodak thinner when I bought the sanding sealer. But my test application went on nicely straight out of the can, no thinning. It did seem a bit thick. However, it flowed smoothly while curing, and sanded nicely. If I were to thin it, it would be very little.

I liked the results I got with Deft Sanding Sealer, but I have not seen it in stores here for over a year. I don’t mind the extra coats required with Deft, but based on the raving by scigs30, curiosity got the best of me and I ordered the Brodak.

I’m not disappointed with Deft, but the Brodak is my goto sanding sealer now. I do use sealers occasionally in my woodshop, so I’ll use my remaining Deft sealer for woodworking needs

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp

Last edited by LeeR : 12-16-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:27 PM
Master Modeler

I don’t thin it since it levels out and sands easily.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:18 AM
Surfrajettes Fan

Comrades:

Fun Fact: The Black Hole Probe decal sheet is almost identical to a Centuri Taurus decal sheet. I think the only thing missing from the latter is the Black Hole movie logo.

A Taurus sheet copy comes up on eBay surprisingly often; with Gordy out of them, it might be your only salvation.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 12-17-2018, 09:05 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Comrades:

Fun Fact: The Black Hole Probe decal sheet is almost identical to a Centuri Taurus decal sheet. I think the only thing missing from the latter is the Black Hole movie logo.

A Taurus sheet copy comes up on eBay surprisingly often; with Gordy out of them, it might be your only salvation.

The decals are black. They will be easy to make with your own inkjet or laser printer or even a copier, with the right decal stock.