Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Master Modeler

Mark II, You make a good point about the cost, I figure one can of primer will last 3 rockets the size of the Vector Force. Aerogloss balsa sealer is not cheap and when you combine with the cost of primer it probably works out to be the same. I use Plastikote sandable primer and it normally runs 5 bucks a can. Midwest Balsa Sealer runs almost 8 bucks for a 3.5oz bottle.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Mark II, You make a good point about the cost, I figure one can of primer will last 3 rockets the size of the Vector Force. Aerogloss balsa sealer is not cheap and when you combine with the cost of primer it probably works out to be the same. I use Plastikote sandable primer and it normally runs 5 bucks a can. Midwest Balsa Sealer runs almost 8 bucks for a 3.5oz bottle.
Delta Ceramcoat All Purpose Sealer is much cheaper than dope and a bottle goes much further. It also won't evaporate away in between uses. I buy one tub of Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler every year or two. I never use it all up and I eventually replace it when it turns to stone. But even so, it works out to be dirt cheap. In my current situation, dirt cheap is what I can afford.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 08-26-2011, 08:27 AM
Junior Rocketeer

I'm new enough in this that I'm still experimenting to find what I like the best. I've used a couple of different balsa fillers, bondo, and just primer alone. For the spirals, I think that the Bondo is my favorite, though I have to make sure I've got good ventilation while using it. For balsa, it seems that with the different fillers, even after several coats, it doesn't look significantly better than when I just use primer alone. In fact, the last build I filled, sanded, and repeated 4 times. It looked nice and smooth naked but when I sprayed the primer, I could still see all the grains (not as bad as if I hadn't done anything mind you, but I still ended up using two coats of primer to smooth it out).

I'm leaning toward primer only as well, it just seems more efficient to me. I was recently looking for a different brand of filler to see if that would would, and saw this...

It's extremely light and says it dries for sanding in a couple of hours. I bought a small tub to try on my next build. Maybe it'll work.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflysch
It looked nice and smooth naked but when I sprayed the primer, I could still see all the grains (not as bad as if I hadn't done anything mind you, but I still ended up using two coats of primer to smooth it out).
That's why I like to prime before I fill. My experience is that the primer tends to affect the wood such that the grain is raised. This tends to occur even with a thin coat of filler in place. So for the past few years, I've been applying primer before the filler, to help stabilize the wood. Of course, I still have to prime after the filler, but I don't get any rude surprises then

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 08-26-2011, 09:56 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

For spirals, I like thinned Bondo spot-n-glazing putty or thinned white Squadron putty, but I will admit I only fill spirals on about one in 20 builds, and then it is only on a scale build that I want to be as "perfect" as I can be.
For Sport rockets, filling spirals not only IS a USELESS PAIN IN THE BUTT, it IS a HUGE waaaaasssste of TIIIIIIMMMMME, PERIOD !

For filling wood grain, it's DOPE and DOPE only....water based products quite frankly are crapola that make a huge mess compared to dope fillers.

For filling large dents, it's Plastic Wood or thinned Plastic Wood.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Master Modeler

I've been spraying lacquer sanding sealer on my fins before mounting them. 3 coats, sand and 3 more coats, sand. Glue the fins on the rocket then primer, sand and primer and sand again. I'd like to give that up.

I've also used the dense Kilz and Bullseye primers. They cover a multitude of sins, but the little bubble holes are too much trouble (I find) and the stuff sticks to everything when you're sanding.

I'm using the primer only method on my current build—but this build has fiber fins (Excalibur) and it kinda makes it all very easy.

ghrocketman, I ran across some Bondo the other day and snagged it. I just got a Quest Terrior Orion that has some gaping spirals in the tubes and I'm going to give your method a try. Also ran across a small can 'o balsa sealer dope and copped that as well. I'll give that a try, instead of the spray lacquer. I haven't smelled that smell since I built control-line in the eighties.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Master Modeler

I am glad to hear all the different responses and I know there are many ways to achieve nice smooth fins. I have not used the primer method enough to say that it is the best but it is another option for a good finish. I enjoy the smell of Balsa Sealer in the morning so I will still use it on my vintage builds even though I know I can get the same results with much less effort by using primer only. I still think the easiest methods would be papering the fins or swapping balsa for basswood but I take pride in filling my balsa, I know call me crazy. I am building the Payloader II and today I will begin priming and will post pictures. Once again thanks for your input and opinions. I am just curious, I know back in the day I followed everything I read and just used Balsa sealer and colored top coats to build my rockets with no primer. Did anyone else build like that or still use that method today?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30

Keep an eye out on ebay for the old Pactra stuff. I recently bought seven 16oz cans of balsa filler and two 16 oz cans of swift white for UNDER $20 shipping included. Now I just have to find a similar deal on sealer.

Nothing beats the smell of vintage Pactra and it doubles as an excellent wife repellent
Old 08-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Master Modeler

I must say the old Pactra Balsa fillers and sealers did a great job of filling balsa.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:24 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6060842
Nothing beats the smell of vintage Pactra and it doubles as an excellent wife repellent

hehehe... reminded me of that song by Tim Wilson on "Super bad sounds of the 70's" album--- WOMAN REPELLANT!!!

If you've never heard it, it's HILARIOUS!

LOL Later! OL JR