Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Almost shovel ready

Default What's up with DARS?

http://www.dars.org/

There are a bunch of unanswered questions here that only those in charge can answer.

Why aren't "the regulars" showing up at the Frisco launches? How was it possible to get the equipment trailer to and from the Gunter HP site from the first launch in June of 2013 and suddenly there is a problem? Why do the links on the DARS website to contact club offers not work? Were my efforts to find a suitable high power field for this organization a pointless waste of time and money?

Sure is beginning to look that way.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:53 PM
spirit of 72

No worries, just some web page update lag. We'll be there.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:47 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Mack: I agree...seems like it is becoming somewhat of a problem pulling off the high power launches. Why you might ask...obvious to me what the problem is...a lack of dedicated help in getting the equipment out to the site and setting it up. Some of the main members and even officers of the club will not help sometimes. I have seen it with my own eyes. I have even witnessed this at the frisco site on severial occasions. It seems like the club is having a hard time finding a truck to haul the trailer out to the site. If no one has a truck that can be used then just rent one with a hitch and problem is resolved. After all I think the club carries a constant $10,000 balance sheet. The web site problems do not surprise me at all. I think certain individuals have been assigned to get the new web site finished and working for over a year now but cannot seem to pull it off. Maybe it would be best to pull them off the the task and assign someone who is dedicated in getting it finished or just forget it.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:04 PM
spirit of 72

Well logistics for any event is an ongoing issue and I think some of the verbage on our web page painted a more dire situation than we actually have. Be that as it may, we have the trailer hauling sorted this month and with Mother Nature's cooperation all indications point to outstanding conditions to fly tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by samb
Well logistics for any event is an ongoing issue and I think some of the verbage on our web page painted a more dire situation than we actually have. Be that as it may, we have the trailer hauling sorted this month and with Mother Nature's cooperation all indications point to outstanding conditions to fly tomorrow.

Sam, I appreciate your response. Unfortunately the mixed signals (yes? no? maybe?) leading up to this launch have caused me to make other plans. I am fully aware of the logistical hurdles of getting around north Texas and of enlisting volunteers to do some of the heavy lifting involved. I wish I were physically able to do more but my heavy lifting days are drawing to a close.

I hope you all have a wonderful launch tomorrow and look forward to the October launch.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:35 PM
spirit of 72

Well me and the Bender boys are gonna miss flying with you tomorrow. I understand what your sayin' and I hope we can do better going forward. We surely have enough able-bodied seaman to set up a few launch pads. Besides, I don't want to be responsible for an old fart like you tearing something out in the cow pasture.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:40 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

The solution is a misfire alley launch range. BYO launcher. That's how I grew Lucerne from 30 folks to 4000. Later we did supply about 40 pads but folks were still actively encouraged to bring their own and they brought some fancy ones!

None of my exes live in Texas.

Jerry

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 09-26-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:54 PM
spirit of 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
The solution is a misfire alley launch range. BYO launcher. That's how I grew Lucerne from 30 folks to 4000. Later we did supply about 40 pads but folks were still actively encouraged to bring their own and they brought some fancy ones!

None of my exes live in Texas.

Jerry

Interesting possibility. I've never seen one in operation but I understand Mr. G. Harry Stine was a proponent as well. 40 high power capable pads ?!?!?! Lucerne is a dry lake, right ?
Old 09-26-2014, 05:48 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Editing is offline so let me add this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  SitePlacement.gif
Views: 54
Size:  7.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  MisfireAlleyRange.gif
Views: 57
Size:  7.9 KB  
Old 09-26-2014, 06:36 PM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by samb
Well me and the Bender boys are gonna miss flying with you tomorrow. I understand what your sayin' and I hope we can do better going forward. We surely have enough able-bodied seaman to set up a few launch pads. Besides, I don't want to be responsible for an old fart like you tearing something out in the cow pasture.

Thanks. And I don't want to be responsible for one of you youngsters stepping into faux cow patty that I might inadvertently deposit out on the range. You do know what a surprise is? That's a fart with a lump in it!