Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2009, 12:49 AM
Just another BAR!

Default Updated Design: Falcon Rocket Racer

I originally developed and submitted this design just prior to receiving Rocksim 9. With the latest version of the software, I was able to add some of the remaining design elements that I had originally envisioned.

In the updated design, I also used Rocksim's new pod feature to develop a more realistic approach for adding cockpits and windshields to a design. I modified the Mass and CG of the "cockpit" pod to reflect that only approximately half would be added to model.

Let me know what you think about the updated design.

Enjoy!

... Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Falcon Rocket Racer Update.PNG
Views: 89
Size:  124.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Falcon Rocket Racer Update with T-Tail.PNG
Views: 92
Size:  133.5 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Falcon Rocket Racer Update.rkt (104.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: rkt Falcon Rocket Racer with T-Tail.rkt (193.1 KB, 65 views)
Old 02-11-2009, 01:19 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Looks good, Bill. Something RockSim won't tell you is if the model will arch over backwards coming off the rod. You might want to balance out the drag with some additional fins opposite the tail feathers on both designs. I don't know right off how much fin area is needed, but I think it will need some.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 02-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Just another BAR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Looks good, Bill. Something RockSim won't tell you is if the model will arch over backwards coming off the rod. You might want to balance out the drag with some additional fins opposite the tail feathers on both designs. I don't know right off how much fin area is needed, but I think it will need some.

Thanks Craig. I'm working on some stabilizer fins to balance out some of the drag. I have thoughts of possibly making this design utilize glide recovery in the future. The design inspirations (Rocket Racing League) planes have forward canards which I am also looking at incorporating.

Any feedback on the canopy design. I thought it came out pretty cool!

Thanks,

... Bill
Old 02-12-2009, 12:08 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt2k1
Thanks Craig. I'm working on some stabilizer fins to balance out some of the drag. I have thoughts of possibly making this design utilize glide recovery in the future. The design inspirations (Rocket Racing League) planes have forward canards which I am also looking at incorporating.

Any feedback on the canopy design. I thought it came out pretty cool!

Thanks,

... Bill

Canopy: See if it doesn't show up in other designs around here, Bill! I know how you did it without looking at the RKT file. I sent Tim & Paul a suggestion earlier about a "trim" feature for the hidden portions inside the main tube. It'll be interesting to see if they can pull that off.

Canards: Use a blow-out power pod, similar to the old Sky Dart, and have some canards spring-loaded to pop out at deployment. That will keep the canards from becoming a negative-stability issue during the power phase.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 02-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Just another BAR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Canopy: See if it doesn't show up in other designs around here, Bill! I know how you did it without looking at the RKT file. I sent Tim & Paul a suggestion earlier about a "trim" feature for the hidden portions inside the main tube. It'll be interesting to see if they can pull that off.

Canards: Use a blow-out power pod, similar to the old Sky Dart, and have some canards spring-loaded to pop out at deployment. That will keep the canards from becoming a negative-stability issue during the power phase.

Yeah, a "trim" feature would be great. I simulated this by reducing the mass by half and manually entering component CG using the mass override feature. It would look great on a number of the jet designs you guys have done over the years.

I've actually been looking at the Sky Dart method of ejecting power pod. I may try to incorporate this into the design in the near future.

... Bill