Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2023, 10:55 AM
Master Modeler

Default ESS Raven Redo

I wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the ESS Raven clone from MoreRockets. I am building the two Super Kits that Semroc redid and wanted to add this on. I have heard varying stories about these kits and am looking for some experienced voices. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2023, 05:01 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

I'm slowly working it. I have an aversion to fiber so its slowing my build. Had one in the mid-70s so wanted to kinda reproduce that era. Besides, most people don't see these types of kits at launches anymore. When I LCO, I like to announce something like (quote) This kit was last produced 30 years ago (unquote). Usually when I'm flying my Canaroc kits. I picked up a Semroc USS America kit on Ebay for about the same price Semroc was selling them for. I've put together the parts for the UFO Invader.

Anyway, due to my aversion to fiber board, I used the patterns to cut out balsa wings and papered them. I'm at the point now of attaching the side ducts. The wings have been sandwiched between plates of glass for nearly two months. Yea, aversion is kinda slowing the process.

I'm going with a 24mm motor (engine) mount as opposed to the 18mm. If I remember right, the C6-3 seemed under-whelming with this model. 24mm gives me more motor choices as well.

Hope your build goes well
Old 11-25-2023, 05:43 PM
Master Modeler

So, it sounds like the kit is worth the price? I see the cone isn?t the Centuri Quasar one- cannot think of the part number. I agree about fiber board. It warps over time. I have thought about using styrosheet for those parts and supplementing with balsa.
Old 11-25-2023, 05:52 PM
BAR 13790

I don't have experience with that kit, but I built their Star Speeder and Viper and was happy with the kits and the results